TAL-Drum (v2.3.3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Drum

A couple of minor updates since 2.0.2.

Version 2.0.5 / 27.06.2023
* Possible crash when copy / paste plugin fixed.
* Improved auto-slice.
* Minor fixes.

Version 2.0.4 / 16.06.2023
* Next sample arrow keys fixed.
* Pad pitch reset when adding new mapping fixed.
* Minor fixes.

great, was waiting for these fixes!

I mostly use Tal-Drum for one shots, but tonight tried out slicing up and editing a drumloop. I could not get it to work as I wanted and found it a bit complicated. Somehow I can't wrap my head around using the auto slice function properly. Probably I have not found the right workflow for that yet, but now am wondering: Are you guys using Tal-Drum for editing drumloops and do you find it good for that?

@schnickschnack

Offtopic:
Hy Slicer 2 is the way to go here :D
Works very very good and is intuitive as breathing. Only downside is, I had some crashes with it in Bitwig.
Cannot rate Hyakkens stuff high enough!
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:19 am @schnickschnack

Offtopic:
Works very very good and is intuitive as breathing. Only downside is, I had some crashes with it in Bitwig.
:D Discovered HYplugs last month, was amazed and left some euros there. Also got slicer for intro price. I have not messed around with it too much, but I hope he will implement the midi-trigger feature soon. Its sad it has no timestretch function though. Means I always have to curate the samples in my DAW before I can use them in the slicer, but yea: I will play around with it when I am in the mood for some drumloop sampling. :phones:

Still interested if and how other users here use Tal Drum for working with loops.

Schnickschnack wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:49 pm
bite_me wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:19 am @schnickschnack

Offtopic:
:D Discovered HYplugs last month, was amazed and left some euros there. Also got slicer for intro price. I have not messed around with it too much, but I hope he will implement the midi-trigger feature soon. Its sad it has no timestretch function though. Means I always have to curate the samples in my DAW before I can use them in the slicer, but yea: I will play around with it when I am in the mood for some drumloop sampling. :phones:

Still interested if and how other users here use Tal Drum for working with loops.
After loading a sample in the slice tab you can use the tools on the left side called "Tresh, Size and Slice".
Increase Tresh and Size and press Slice, then you will see changes in the sample. Test it and change the parameters if the results don't fit and don't forget the choose between 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16.
If all this don't lead to results you want then you can switch to the right side and change the "Stretch" parameters and also here don't forget to choose between Beats and BPM.
It's of course not super super easy but I got always good to very good resuts.

Regarding HY-Slicer:
It's in my view a complete nonsense because you can not trigger paterns or slices with MIDI-Notes. I am wondering how a dev can release such a ()/&&$"§$§/ :x
I maybe would buy it if there was MIDI-Notes support but in this state it's absolute useless.

MorpherX wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:12 pm After loading a sample in the slice tab you can use the tools on the left side called "Tresh, Size and Slice".
Increase Tresh and Size and press Slice, then you will see changes in the sample. Test it and change the parameters if the results don't fit and don't forget the choose between 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16.
If all this don't lead to results you want then you can switch to the right side and change the "Stretch" parameters and also here don't forget to choose between Beats and BPM.
It's of course not super super easy but I got always good to very good resuts.
Thanks for the instruction, I will try to figure this out once for all tonight.

MorpherX wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:12 pm Regarding HY-Slicer:
It's in my view a complete nonsense because you can not trigger paterns or slices with MIDI-Notes. I am wondering how a dev can release such a ()/&&$"§$§/ :x
I maybe would buy it if there was MIDI-Notes support but in this state it's absolute useless.
I agree, without that function it's not really release ready. But the dev told me that he is implementing pattern midi triggering atm and it will be available in the next update. Hopefully slice triggering too. The approach of the plugin itself is lovely imo, so I ll practice a bit patience for now, but expect it to become a very useful and fun to use tool with the next update.

I don't know if it's asking too much, but... would it be possible to have 96 pads (same limit as Battery 4)? I'm very used to work with 96, and that's the main reason I still didn't consider switching to TAL-Drum.

AnX wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:53 pm On board seq/patterns?
No, but including a good sequencer will make this plugin a must have.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:57 pm I don't know if it's asking too much, but... would it be possible to have 96 pads (same limit as Battery 4)? I'm very used to work with 96, and that's the main reason I still didn't consider switching to TAL-Drum.
I'd be interested to hear more about your workflow, surely you don't use them all for a given track?

I want a 8pad view, because I rarely use much more when working with one shots.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:57 pm I don't know if it's asking too much, but... would it be possible to have 96 pads (same limit as Battery 4)? I'm very used to work with 96, and that's the main reason I still didn't consider switching to TAL-Drum.
Battery 4’s cell limit is 128.
On a number of Macs

Is anyone else having issues with the slicer not doing anything at all when the parameter are changed, even on well-separated drum breaks?
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 pm Is anyone else having issues with the slicer not doing anything at all when the parameter are changed, even on well-separated drum breaks?
I have to turn up the threshold very much (to ~70%) to have it affect the slice positions. and then only have a pretty small region left where I can actually make changes which quickly turns to having way more slices than I try to achieve. A bit fiddly imo.

Schnickschnack wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:17 pm
Gribs wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:04 pm Is anyone else having issues with the slicer not doing anything at all when the parameter are changed, even on well-separated drum breaks?
I have to turn up the threshold very much (to ~70%) to have it affect the slice positions. and then only have a pretty small region left where I can actually make changes which quickly turns to having way more slices than I try to achieve. A bit fiddly imo.
I've always found the auto-slice to be twitchy and unreliable althought I could swear it was better in previous releases (v1.x). Tiny changes in either Threshold or Size can have very unexpected results, so I tend to slice manually unless it's a very simple loop (or slice somewhere else and import the samples).

A visual overlay of where the threshold is, and what the size is (I presume it's minimum slice size) would be nice, and much finer control over the values of each.

Return to “Instruments”