Music Accessibility Standard (MAS)

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello KVR Audio readers,
Yesterday (Wednesday, August 23rd), I (Juho, the Working Chair), Athan Billias (MIDI Association President and WG scribe) and Lele Parravinci and Vanessa Faschi from Audio Modeling
were at the MASSIG online meeting.
We discussed  interesting future plans, including the NAMM Show next
January, the funding of the project, the ADC (Audio Developers
Conference) and  most importantly reviewing our goals in an the official working group goals document.
We also decided that we would start the work with user stories which
help us in the creation process of the standard. Because of this, I
would want to inform you two important topics:
1. We encourage you to join the MASSIG group if you are either a person with a
disability, an accessibility expert or working in an organization
with the disabled people). You can do so by going to 
https://midi.activehosted.com/f/37
and indicating your interest in the MASSIG.
2. If you do not have time to join to the group and have experience
with accessibility (both as an individual user and an developer/ expert working
with accessibility), we encourage you to post user
stories related to Music Accessibility Standard.
Here is an example of a user story:
Parameter Accessibility (Software Part of the Music Accessibility
Standard): All the parameters of the plugin (instrument, effect or an
analyser) or a software (such as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW))
should be accessible to the screen reader. This means that the
parameters should be accessible to the screen reader both with speech
and Braille display regardless of the operating system. This would
also mean that the operating system-specific APIs would talk (or
convey information) between the parameter texts and the screen reader
so that regardless of the screen reader and operating system being
used, the information would be delivered in an efficient, clear,
human-readable manner.
 For example, the parameters could include instrument parameters such as oscillator waveform, oscillator detune, LFO depth, LFO source and LFO waveform.

Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Dear KVR Audio members,
Today, we had an interesting MASSIG meeting. There were Jay Pocknell
from RNIB (Royal National Institution for the Blind), Stephen Penny
from Native Instruments, Jason Nolan from Universityof Toronto, Athan
Billias (The MIDI Association President and WG scribe), me (Juho, the
Working Chair of the MASSIG), Scott Chesworth, a musician from London
and Vanessa Faschi and Emanuele "Lele" Paravicini from Audio Modeling
in this online meeting. 
We continued the discussing the short and
long term goals, including our goals document, the Audio Developers Conference (ADC) where Jay Pocknell will run an accessibility workshop, 
and the NAMM show. 
For ADC, we already discussed that few people
from our group will go there. We also discussed the NAMM show next
January, as we already have some planswhich we are working on.
For me, personally, it was a pleasure talking with the others and I am
excited that we have such a good team spirit in our all-volunteer
group in The MIDI Association. We are not
payed anything there because we volunteer our time to work with
different topics like the Music Accessibility Standard and anyone is free to join us and help. 
Please stay tuned for more information in about two weeks from now!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Dear KVR Audio readers,
We had a meeting on Wednesday, October 4, 2023 with Juho (the Chair of
the MASSIG), Vanessa Faschi from Audio Modeling (the Backup Chair of
the WG), Athan Billias (The MIDI Association President and WG Scribe),
Jay Pocknell from RNIB and the Chair of the Sound Without Sight
portal, Emmanuele "Lele" Parravicini from Audio Modeling and Scott
Chesworth, a blind producer and musician from London at the meeting.
Today, we reviewed the ADC and NAMM plans, scope and the
possible phases of the MASSIG, and discussed about the possible new
members (such as AFB (American Foundation for the Blind) and others)
We covered the first two of the three topics
(i.e. the NAMM/ADC plan and the scope of the Music Accessibility
Standard and its phases). 
Jay Pocknell is running an Accessibility Workshop at the Audio Developer Conference on Monday, November 13 at 14:00 - 17:00 GMT.
Jay has put together a brief for the creation of videos about accessibility which is located here. ADC Video Brief can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OTc ... 4Ybbs/edit.
This is an important initiative for The MIDI Association and we encourage any members who are interested to Sign Up For the MASSIG (https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2 ... cWkdblyhEv) or Attend the ADC Accessibility Workshop (https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2 ... 0TzxHpAcvU). The ADC Workshop is free to attend both in person and virtually.
Finally if your company is working on Music Accessibility and has or would like to create a video for use at ADC and NAMM, please simply sign up for the MASSIG and email info@midi.org with details of what you are working on.
We are looking at creating Music Accessibility user stories to define the challenges that people with different accessibilities face and then plan to work
on how MIDI 2.0 Profiles and Property Exchange could solve these issues.
Let’s make music more accessible to everyone.
The first meeting of the MASSIG this October was a great success and I am looking forward for our future plans especially at ADC! Stay tuned and have a nice day!

Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Hello KVR Forum Members and Thread Readers,
We had a MASSIG (Music Accessibility Standard Special Interest Group) meeting with me (Juho Tuomainen, the Chair of the WG), Vanessa Faschi from Audio Modeling (and the Backup Chair or Vice Chair of the WG) and Jay Pocknell, a Music Support Officer from the Media, Culture and Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB (Royal National Institute fo the Blind) present there. We discussed about the plans for both ADC and the NAMM show, and we had made some progress for those things. For example, I had done some progress on my own video that would be shown at the ADC and also at NAMM next January. Stay tuned for more information!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Hello all the Post Readers,
We had a meeting on Wednesday (November 1st, 2023) with Juho (the Chair of
the MASSIG), Athan Billias (The MIDI Association President and wG
Scribe), Jay Pocknell, the Music Support Officer from the Media,
Culture and Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB , Adi Dickens from
Ableton GmbH, Scott Chesworth, a musician and producer from London and
Emmanuele "Lele" Paravicini from Audio Modeling present there. We
discussed the ADC and NAMM plans and the development of the user
stories for the Music Accessibility Standard. It was very nice to meet
passionate MASSIG members there and discuss our future plans which
will be very important, the way I would see it, in both developing the standard further and
showing to the people and press that we have made some progress. This all would, therefore, highlight the importance of the
Music Accessibility Standard and its impact, but please note that this is my point of view rom the standard based on our document describing our goals and other key aspects of the Music Accessibility Standard (MAS). However, the fact that we have already held the Music Accessibility Standard Webinar in May 27th, 2023 was a big step to this direction, and the ADC will follow in this November and the NAMM in next January, so sta tuned for more information and updates!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Hello all KVR Audio Thread Readers,
We had a MASSIG meeting on Wednesday, November 15th, 2023 with Juho (MASSIG WG Chair), Vanessa Faschi (the WG Backup Chair) and Emanuele "Lele" Paravicini from Audio Modeling, Jay Pocknell (the Music Support
Officer from the Media, Culture and Immersive Technologies Team of
RNIB), Paul McCabe from Roland and Athan Billias from The MIDI Association. I would want to add that the other people were busy because they were at ADC (Audio Developer Conference) which began on Monday, November 13th, 2023. There were about 30 people present physically at the Accessibility Workshop and 120 people following the event online. I would want to comment that I am very satisfied and happy that the ADC went well and it was very useful, nice and important to make a video to it (thanks for Athan on doing the actual video which included my introductory talk that I had recorded on a digital voice recorder)! We reviewed the ADC Presentation and its action.
Here is the outline from the ADC event.  
As the audio industry seeks to improve diversity within its workforce, and the music industry seeks to widen the diversity of artists creating music, it is essential that the inclusion becomes woven into the design of the tools available. 

But what do terms such as accessibility and inclusive design actually mean?
How might you begin to adopt inclusive design practices so that your software becomes accessible to a wider audience?
What are some of the big-name audio companies doing to support accessibility and how can you learn from their experience?
How can companies take practical steps, together, to act on a shared desire for a more inclusive industry?
These are the kind of questions that this workshop seeks to answer.
Workshop outline
The format of the workshop will be as follows:
1. Introductions and updates from panellists, sharing insight into their companies' recent and future work on accessibility (45 mins).
2. Pre-recorded updates shining a light on other accessibility-related projects from across the industry (20 mins).
3. An overview of accessible GUI design in JUCE (30 mins) – Harry Morley (Focusrite). Harry will:
  • Tour the Focusrite Control 2 software to introduce the common accessibility-related terminology.
  • Share his experience of working on Focusrite’s Scarlett and Vocaster software, using the JUCE toolkit to make this software accessible to screen reader users.
  • Explain key concepts such as screen reader focus and keyboard focus, control grouping, and focus priority order.
  • Share useful learnings and tips for working with JUCE, and other things to be aware of.
  • Suggest approaches to testing accessibility directly, working with visually impaired beta testers, and collaborating with the user community.

(10-minute break]
4. Panel discussion: a collaborative approach to inclusive design in audio products (30 mins).
  • How do we make the most of the shared desire for an industry that is more inclusive to disabled engineers and artists?
  • A look into the MIDI Association’s proposed ‘Music Accessibility Standard’ so far, and more.
5. Roundtable discussion in response to audience Q&A. Attendees can contribute in person, or via Zoom Q&A or Discord. If you encounter barriers to accessing
these platforms, please send questions to: contact@soundwithoutsight.org.
Panellists in the accessibility panel:
Speaking in person
  • Jay Pocknell (RNIB)
  • Harry Morley (Focusrite)
  • Tom Poole (JUCE)
  • Adil Ghanty (Native Instruments)
  • Scott Chesworth (Freelance Accessibility Consultant and Trainer)
  • Martin Keary (Muse Group)
  • Arvid Johnsson (Softube)   
Joining remotely
  • Athan Billias (MIDI Association)
  • Adi Dickens (Ableton)

After discussing ADC in our meeting, we discussed the next steps for collecting accessibility resources and their location. In addition to these topics, we briefly discussed about the user stories of the Music Accessibility Standard and the technical aspects of the standard. Finally, I wish a good day to all readers of this KVR Audio thread, and please keep following this discussion for latest udates from the Music Accessibility Standard (MAS)!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Dear KVR Forum Topic Readers,
We had a meeting today (Wednesday, November 30th, 2023) with Juho
Tuomainen (Chair of the MASSIG), Athan Billias (The MIDI Association
president and WG scribe), Vanessa Faschi (the WG Backup Chair) from
Audio Modeling, Stephen Penny from Native Instruments GmbH, Jay
Pocknell (the Music Support Officer from the Media, Culture and
Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB) and Scott Chesworth (a musician
and producer from London) present there. We discussed The MIDI
Association Survey results and the NAMM show presentations. We also
discussed very briefly about the technical structure of the Music
Accessibility Standard, which was the coutinuation of our previous
discussion (held on our previous meeting on November 16th, 2023) about
the technical aspects of the MAS (Music Accessibility Standard). More
information will be coming from The NAMM Show most likely after our
next meeting, currently scheduled for Wednesday, December 13th, 2023.
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen

Hello all KVR Audio Readers,
We had a regular MASSIG meeting on Wednesday, December 13th, 2023 with Juho Tuomainen (WG Chair), Athan Billias (the President of The MIDI Association), Vanessa Faschi (WG Backup Chair) and Emanuele Paravicini from Audio Modeling, Jay Pocknell the Music Support Officer from the Media, Culture and Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB and Paul McCabe from Roland present there. We discussed about the NAMM plans and dthe location of our resources (such as links related to the digital music accessibility). We deecided to put our resources at midi.org and talked also other resource-related topics. Stay tuned for more information!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen, WG Chair

Should anyone like to read the PDF it's pretty far down this particular page, I couldn't figure out a way to link it but it's viewable there or you can download it:
Jay Pocknell presented a report on the state of accessibility. He is a partially sighted MIDI user working with the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB). He pointed out that. "something that is easy to use is easier for everyone." Companies are getting involved, Jay said, but more collaboration is needed. Possibly a MIDI profile could be created for this?
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/the- ... eting-2023

Hello all the KVR Audio readers,
Today (Wednesday, December 27th, 2023), we had the last official MASSIG meeting in 2023! We had Juho Tuomainen (WG Chair), Athan Billias (the MASSIG WG Scribe), Vanessa Faschi (Backup Chair) and Emanuele "Lele" Paravicini (the latter two from Audio Modeling) present at the meeting. We discussed about the NAMM plans more precisely and topics surrounding around the NAMM Show events. Furthermore, The MIDI Association had a meeting earlier (ie. before our meeting this Wednesday) with the owners of KVR and they are planning to support The MIDI Association by promoting the 23 different events planned for NAMM includinga presentation by the MASSIG team and a performance by Ellis Hall. Please stay tuned for more interesting information!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen, WG Chair

i'm for anything that will help the blind

i remember the day when i thought i'm going to go blind
i couldn't read manuals anymore
i couldn't play scrabble

lucky for me i could have eye surgery for both eyes
i'm so very very very grateful to science and modern tech

the surgery that i had weren't even doable just years ago
yay progress, yay medical science
yay science in general
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

Hello all the KVR Audio readers, Today (Wednesday, January 10th, 2024), we had the first official MASSIG meeting in 2024! We had Juho Tuomainen, (WG Chair), Athan Billias (the MASSIG WG Scribe), Vanessa Faschi (Backup Chair) and Emanuele "Lele" Paravicini (the latter two from Audio Modeling) and also Jay Pocknell, a Music Support Officer of the Media Culture and Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB present at the
meeting. We discussed about the NAMM show plan finalisations and topics surrounding around the NAMM Show events, and also talked about other MASSIG-related topics. Furthermore, we discussed about the new midi.org website which is to be launched soon. In addition to these topics, the KVR Audio has already put on banners on their website support us at the NAMM Show and has started promoting the MASSIG about a week ago. You can find the NAMM Schedule at The MIDI Association's YouTube Channel.
Please stay tuned for more interesting information!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen, WG Chair
PS: Harryupbabble, thanks for sharing your experiences about the blindness on your post.

Honest question for people around the MIDI Association who care about accessibility: is there a willingness to make the organization’s website more accessible?

For instance, this page about the booth’s schedule is full of text embedded in images. While there’s alt text, it’s missing a lot of information and there’s no way to search for that content.

Given the “Music Accessibility” tag for that same page, one might expect a deeper effort to make its content accessible. And that might involve neurodiversity as well as sight.

Hello all KVR Audio readers,
Yesterday (Wednesday, February 7th, 2024) we had the second meeting which was the first one after the NAMM Show at Anaheim, California. We had Juho Tuomainen (WG Chair), Vanessa Faschi (WG Backup Chair), Athan Billias (the president of The MIDI Association and WG Scribe) andEmanuele "Lele" Paravicini from Audio Modeling, Stephen Penny fromNative Instruments GmbH and Jay Pocknell, the Music Support Officer from the Culture, Media and Immersive Technologies Team of RNIB present on the meeting. We talked about the NAMM and its MASSIG-related events. We also discussed about resources (ie putting videos and other MASSIG-related material) and inviting people to the MASSIG, and to have a good balance between users and the developers. The midi.org website (https://www.midi.org/) has gone a complete rework and will be released soon, most likely during next week (week 7, February 12th-18th, 2024). The new abovementioned website is designed with accessibility in mind, so all of the MASSIG members are looking forward to seeing its publication. We also decided that midi.org would be a central repository for things related to music accessibility. We also talked about screen readers and their relationship to the Music Accessibility Standard.Finally, we brieflyTalked about the accessibility and the scalability of the user experiences (meaning that different users experience the music accessibility-related actions differently). For example, if you would have a notation full of notes, it would be very frustrating to hearthe speech synthesis tell it all at once but rather to hear one note at a given position (such as the second note of the first beat being 'C2'). Stay tuned for more news!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen, WG Chair

Hello all KVR Audio readers,
Yesterday (February 21st, 2024) we had a Music Accessibility Standard SPecial Interest Group (MASSIG) meeting with Juho Tuomainen (WG Chair), Vanessa Faschi from Audio Modeling (WG Backup Chair and WG Scribe), Athan Billias (The MIDI Association ) , Peter Jonas from MuseScore Limited and Jay Pocknell, the Music Support Officer from the Culture, Media and Immersive Technologies Team of
RNIB present on the meeting.
We discussed about the user stories of the Music Accessibility Standard, including the definition of the user roles (eg "I am a visually impaired music professional" or "I am a visually impaired aspiring music student"). We also discussed about the similarities between the ongoing MIDI 2.0 standard development (and its profiles) and the Music Accessibility Standard. Finally, we also discussed about collecting up information of the accessibilityto a Google Sheets document, meaning that we would put links todifferent things, eg YouTube channels and websites. Also, it is important to tell you that the new website of The MIDI Association will be  running soon. On the blog section , there will be a category for Music Accessibility articles about the Music Accessibility Standard (MAS). I am looking forward to
meeting these people again in two weeks!
Kind regards,
Juho Tuomainen, WG Chair

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”