TAL DRUM vs Speedrum

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love TAL DRUM, always in my templates, but I never see anything on ADSR Drum machine, that one has a sequencer, is a bit more basic as TAL DRUM, but very capable.
ADSR Drummachine is my secondary drumplugin, I have it always loaded next to TAL Drum, also Multiouts and randomize funtions.

Septic Underground wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:46 am ... but I never see anything on ADSR Drum machine, that one has a sequencer, is a bit more basic as TAL DRUM, but very capable.
I'd never heard of that but it's really good. Website seems a bit spammy/ad oriented but the actual product is great. I'm not sure I prefer it to Nerve, but it's up there.

Septic Underground wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:46 am I love TAL DRUM, always in my templates, but I never see anything on ADSR Drum machine, that one has a sequencer, is a bit more basic as TAL DRUM, but very capable.
ADSR Drummachine is my secondary drumplugin, I have it always loaded next to TAL Drum, also Multiouts and randomize funtions.
They just updated the sequencer in ADSR drum Machine today so you can automate various parameters in the sequencer like Pitch, Gain, Pan, Cutoff, Resonance, Phaser, and the two FX sends.

They also added a few QOL improvements like being able to choose whether to load a sample instantly or preview from the browser and the ability to choose to load only samples or patterns from the preset.

Very underrated plugin, imho.

It looks like a decent drum machine. Having a quick look, I don’t see a way to layer samples on a pad and do velocity or round robin switching.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Gribs wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:10 pm It looks like a decent drum machine. Having a quick look, I don’t see a way to layer samples on a pad and do velocity or round robin switching.
It's more of a basic beat machine in terms of the actual samples but for that it has a pretty comprehensive feature set.

The split mode is great where it splits each drum between transient and sustain phases. You can also effect each part of the split separately.

Gribs wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:10 pm It looks like a decent drum machine. Having a quick look, I don’t see a way to layer samples on a pad and do velocity or round robin switching.
Grouping pads does this, I believe. Essentially, for example, a round robin drum that used a 3 pad group would cycle through each pad when the drum is hit, essentially treating the three pads as a single drum with round robin. I believe the number of layers remains at four though, but they can each have round robins too. I hope this makes sense. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

simmo75 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:12 pm
They sound interesting, worthy Geist replacements are high praise indeed, I’ll have to demo, thanks.

Are the sequencers as good as Geist?
That’s where Geist gets it’s crown.
It’s really such a tragedy that Geist was abandoned. I don’t even use the sequencer much and it’s still irreplaceable. The deep modulation and layering capabilities have nothing close to competition IMO.

Just something simple like being able to layer two samples on one pad and quickly randomize the amount of start delay (not start offset) on one sample produces a great effect which I’m unaware of any other plugins that can do this.

Throw the macros in the mix and it’s just unmatched at creating interesting and organic sample based drums.

Speedrum slicing is really nice, to drag and drop slices to pads. Did TAL implement anything like that?

Where are these two fine virtual drum machines at with regard to Round Robin Cycles per instrument, i.e., kick, snare, etc.? I haven't been keeping up for about a year . . . wondering what, if anything, has changed. My drum samples are mostly 4 hits per to give a slight variance in texture and tone. I like to have them randomly cycle through those four for variety throughout a song. I'm not as much into velocities at this time, but that would also be a nice option. ;-)

I'm just gonna say Speedrum sounds like a drinking game.
Stormchild

tommyzai wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:34 pm Where are these two fine virtual drum machines at with regard to Round Robin Cycles per instrument, i.e., kick, snare, etc.? I haven't been keeping up for about a year . . . wondering what, if anything, has changed. My drum samples are mostly 4 hits per to give a slight variance in texture and tone. I like to have them randomly cycle through those four for variety throughout a song. I'm not as much into velocities at this time, but that would also be a nice option. ;-)
Speedrum has multiple options.

You can have it Round robin, play layers randomly, play all at once or trigger by velocity.

You can combine round robin with velocity so you can have different round robins for different velocity ranges.

You can have up to 16 samples per pad.

You can go even more granular and have further velocity layers by using more pads and adjusting their velocity ranges and setting them all to trigger by the same note.

Each layer has its own volume envelope, hi pass and lo pass filters, pitch, panning

You can further add humanisation (randomness) to pitch, velocity, panorama and timing

TAL Drum needs a great sequencer and some midi generation options.

Hi, I try to upgrade from V1 and have given my email 4 times without ever getting a code.
Has anybody gotten an upgrade code via mail?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra, Sonoma, Logic X, Orion 32+, mioXL, V-Synth XT, JD-990, MC-909, OB-X8, NINA, KK61 mkII

I have gotten a code, but haven't used it yet.
rsp
sound sculptist

flonky wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:45 pm Hi, I try to upgrade from V1 and have given my email 4 times without ever getting a code.
Has anybody gotten an upgrade code via mail?
For speedrum? Yes, got it and bought the upgrade immediately, the sequencer is absolutely everything I could want (except perhaps a few more pattern slots)

Return to “Instruments”