Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok I updated the opsix plugin and the cpu issue pretty much went away, so I am back to using the VST which is more convenient. I will say that over the summer the music I am making changed and the opsix doesnt fit as well but that is not the opsix fault. I am using the MS20 a lot right now.

whats the latest OPSIX native version? still big time CPU issues here (even 1 single instance stresses my CPU) but the sound is so amazing

OPSIX has been making its way into songs often here....
Good sounding synth.

Seelachsfilet wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:49 am whats the latest OPSIX native version? still big time CPU issues here (even 1 single instance stresses my CPU) but the sound is so amazing
I have v1.0.9 and I believe it's the latest.

Which presets were giving you the high CPU?

I'm the same. Reasonably sure I'm on 1.0.9. It's not which presets, it's everything. The moment I load Opsix CPU goes up to around 50% or more. Weirdly, even if I turn the plugin off (though still loaded), the CPU briefly goes down then after a second or 2 it goes straight back up every time. GUI doesn't have to be onscreen either. Wavestate does it if 2 instances loaded. Same if Wavestate + Opsix loaded. It's usable if not a CPU-heavy track, but it's crashed the laptop before now, if I'm up close to half CPU then load Opsix. Wavestate is much better, and works sweetly if only 1 instance (but definitely only 1), and when Wavestate goes berserker, it's wildly unpredictable, random almost. :dog:

Have to say, Korg should be better than this. I love Korg and have a shitload of their sw and hw and will continue to do so, but their sw coding is shite. Same with Korg Arp Odyssey, about the only plugin that completely crashes my system on occasion (specifically if changing patches while playing which I learnt the hard way). Odyssey is another great sounding plugin, but real basic unstable error. I don't use it much any more because of this, unless I know exactly what sound I'm going to use it for...messing around on the fly with it is simply asking for trouble...and it makes reloading Cubase after a crash glitchy sometimes too. Really, I thought those days were over with sw. :roll:

kritikon wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:19 pm I'm the same. Reasonably sure I'm on 1.0.9. It's not which presets, it's everything. The moment I load Opsix CPU goes up to around 50% or more. Weirdly, even if I turn the plugin off (though still loaded), the CPU briefly goes down then after a second or 2 it goes straight back up every time. GUI doesn't have to be onscreen either. Wavestate does it if 2 instances loaded. Same if Wavestate + Opsix loaded. It's usable if not a CPU-heavy track, but it's crashed the laptop before now, if I'm up close to half CPU then load Opsix. Wavestate is much better, and works sweetly if only 1 instance (but definitely only 1), and when Wavestate goes berserker, it's wildly unpredictable, random almost. :dog:

Have to say, Korg should be better than this. I love Korg and have a shitload of their sw and hw and will continue to do so, but their sw coding is shite. Same with Korg Arp Odyssey, about the only plugin that completely crashes my system on occasion (specifically if changing patches while playing which I learnt the hard way). Odyssey is another great sounding plugin, but real basic unstable error. I don't use it much any more because of this, unless I know exactly what sound I'm going to use it for...messing around on the fly with it is simply asking for trouble...and it makes reloading Cubase after a crash glitchy sometimes too. Really, I thought those days were over with sw. :roll:
Same here. Latest version installed. I'm facing multiple different CPU issues. Even a new instance with INIT let's my CPU jump to 50% - 70% lol. Even if I freeze the track it's still on 30% - 50%. Another weird behavior is that randomly my CPU is fine but when I save and close the project and open it the next day it suddenly is at 70% or so CPU load while it was okay the day before... That sucks badly because honestly the sound is champions league

So, it does it when frozen too, I haven't tried that. I guess a way around that is to unload plugin after freezing - Cubase has this as an option, dunno about other DAWs. I don't much use freezing - too inflexible the way Cubase does it, so I just render. I've noticed the random thing too - mostly with Wavestate, as Opsix mostly always misbehaves.

An up-side to Opsix/Wavestate plugin berserkery is that at least it's making me get into the editor/librarians so I can use the hw synths when the plugins go silly. Something I should have done ages ago when I first bought the hw.

Korg seem to be pretty slow fixing Opsix, dunno why - Wavestate they got onto pretty quickly and mostly fixed it. :shrug: . I'll absolutely be buying more Korg hw, but not so sure I'd buy any more plugins from them, even at loyalty cut price...

Addit - I guess for some people, Opsix has been fixed? For us though, it's pretty munted still.

kritikon wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:29 am ......

Korg seem to be pretty slow fixing Opsix, dunno why - Wavestate they got onto pretty quickly and mostly fixed it. :shrug: . I'll absolutely be buying more Korg hw, but not so sure I'd buy any more plugins from them, even at loyalty cut price...
It's two different teams.. one in California and one in Japan I believe.
Alas indeed they don't seem to work at the same pace.. (modwave and wavestate are Dan's outfit in California).
rsp
sound sculptist

Hi all! We've just updated wavestate native to version 1.2.0. If you've enabled automatic checking for updates, a notice will appear the next time you open the plug-in or standalone app.

1.2.0 includes a number of fixes and improvements. There are 22 items on the list, but most notably:
* A change in ProTools 2023.6 caused a crash when loading the AAX version of the plug-in. In collaboration with Avid, this has now been fixed. The fix should also avoid collisions with other hosts or plugins using Google protobuf.
* Audio quality is now improved when running at 44.1 kHz and 88.2  kHz sample rates. (Thanks to the users who brought this to our attention!)
* Previously, on macOS, if permissions were not correct for the wavestate System folder (containing the sound database), wavestate native could crash on startup. This has now been fixed.

For the full release notes, see:
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/a ... ease-notes
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

I'm looking at getting the Wavestate, are there any other synths that are as capable or is Wavestate unique ? From what I've researched it seems to be the case but it doesn't hurt to ask

Mapped OpSix Native along with the ModWave and Wavestate into a Mainstage template I use with a Novation SL MKIII. Game-changer, moving these back into a hosted environment (I had been using their standalone versions <on OSX>). OpSix still wants to take Channel 1, but using Mainstage environment/patches, i can use other instruments on the same channel without conflicts... so thanks for the earlier suggestion, to let a DAW (or in this case Mainstage) host it - versus using the standalones. This on MacOS Ventura 13.6

Digivolt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:13 pm I'm looking at getting the Wavestate, are there any other synths that are as capable or is Wavestate unique ? From what I've researched it seems to be the case but it doesn't hurt to ask
Nah, Wavestate is pretty unique. There are 1 or 2 that do wavesequencing but not on the scale of Wavestate. It's also not far off modular with the extensive modulation you can do with it. I vaguely remember when it was released someone programmed a patch to see how many LFOs he could access, and got bored at 200 and stopped. It's actually very good at doing more VA type sounds and can be quite fluid because of its great filters, but in terms of the wavesequencing sound - it's out there on its own IMO. Wavestation was the classic cinematic soundscape synth, Wavestate is that plus way more. I'm very much an analogue fanboy, but Wavestate is a digital synth I would put above most of my analogues though obvs not easy to directly compare...apples vs pomegranates.

Thanks I figured it was special in what it does, how's the learning curve ? I watched a couple of tutorials and it looks pretty steep at first but does it flatten out once you get used to it or is it always effort to get something sounding great ?

Return to “Instruments”