Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:19 pm I'm the same. Reasonably sure I'm on 1.0.9. It's not which presets, it's everything.
I am not sure if anyone asked this already, but are those problems Mac/Silicon based? I am using a PC.

Examigan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:59 pm
kritikon wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:19 pm I'm the same. Reasonably sure I'm on 1.0.9. It's not which presets, it's everything.
I am not sure if anyone asked this already, but are those problems Mac/Silicon based? I am using a PC.
I don't have any problem with Wavestate, OPsix and Modwave on both Windows 11(Ryzen 5800x) and Ventura (M1), but I don't use many instances of them on both Bitwig and S1 (plugins are smooth in general).

In Ableton I had a problem but not only with these synths perfomance, but with several other plugins, mainly on Windows.

No problems here. Just for grins, I threw ten instances of Opsix into a Logic Pro project. No cpu hit. This on a Mac Mini Apple M2 Pro + 16GB RAM - macOS Ventura 13.6. Same no-cpu hit with Wavestate and Modwave instances too. Not contented with the needle not moving.. i threw another 10 instances. Finally saw things move from 20% cpu to 30% cpu.. but that was with a couple dozen instrument instances.

Digivolt wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:20 pm Thanks I figured it was special in what it does, how's the learning curve ? I watched a couple of tutorials and it looks pretty steep at first but does it flatten out once you get used to it or is it always effort to get something sounding great ?
It's quirky to learn - quite different methodology to most other types of synths, so I'd have to say steep. It is easy to get good sounds from it though, which may not be what you were initially envisaging but quickly sound distinctive. Native is far easier than the hw - hw is sooooo fiddly with its tiny screen that I never really got into it properly, but once I got native it became way easier. I find it a good layout that helps you learn it. I can now feel confident in making my own patches from scratch...not quick though. It's never quick on Wavestate. But putting time into it definitely pays off, and the hardest part is the wavesequencing, all the other synthesis, modulation etc is reasonably obvious. The wavesequencing lanes page is the main area to focus on learning - learn that and you're sweet.

Win11 here. Stock standard laptop, 3 yr old HP with no mods, mid range so it's not because it's too weedy. I can do whole projects live if I wanted, only maxes out when Korg natives are introduced. I never bugger around with the OS...the only changes are power settings recommended by Steinberg. TBH my setup couldn't be more vanilla, so whatever Korg have done, it must be pretty basic errors. I'd maybe expect Mac issues...they notoriously break backwards compatibility, but this is middle-of-the-road Windows. Stock, standard, uninterfered with, out of the box on common or garden Cubase Artist. Everything else is up to date, drivers, you name it. It is absolutely Korg incompetent coding, has to be.

But they did fix Wavestate native enough to be usable, so :clap: . 1 instance only and it's like a normal VSTi (but not 2). But Opsix is just utterly broken and remains so. I barely use it now, not worth the aggro. Pleased I got the $50 hw discount, because even at that, it's overpriced junkyard shite. I know how fkin good Opsix is because I use the hw all the time and I was hoping native would be the same. It saddens me because I'm a Korg fanboy, have been for decades. The US group obvs have some pride and got onto fixing it, but the Japan group...be ashamed of yourselves lads... :(. Can't be that difficult talk to your US group and find out how they fixed it, surely?

kritikon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 pm
Win11 here. Stock standard laptop, 3 yr old HP with no mods, mid range so it's not because it's too weedy.
What CPU do you have in that laptop? I can guess this is the problem (plus Cubase is not very CPU efficient).
Korg new synths (the trio) are not light on CPU, but they are ok with modern CPU.
Have you tested with Reaper? (it is a good test for DAW efficiency).

Couldn't say without checking. But it's not just old laptop. I can do a whole project live with all other sw. Racks and racks of VSTi and fx works fine. It's not a monster laptop but perfectly sufficient. Korg Opsix specifically uses up over half of all CPU. Wavestate is heavy use, yes - but it now works, even when I ratchet up the complexity of patches. It's not far different from other plugins. Likely it is the CPU that Korg somehow have coded it to not work with. But 3 yr old i7 is incompatible?! Not with EVERYTHING else, it's not.

danatkorg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:09 am Hi all! We've just updated wavestate native to version 1.2.0. If you've enabled automatic checking for updates, a notice will appear the next time you open the plug-in or standalone app.

1.2.0 includes a number of fixes and improvements. There are 22 items on the list, but most notably: ...
There is still quite an annoying and obvious bug:

Vector Joystick X and Y do not respond to automation when the plugin GUI is closed.
Other controls do, also the Mod Knobs.

Obviously one shouldn't need to keep the GUI open when playing back or modulating the automation. Also, setting up a workaround with MIDI CC's just to automate the X/Y is not convenient.

Basically, I would want to map whatever controllers to X/Y (actually planned to use my phone with an X/Y-pad app) and not worry if the GUI is open or not.

Wavestate Native v1.2.0
Bitwig Studio 5.0.9
Windows 11

OT, but the Odyssey has finally been updated so the ASIO is available in the stand alone on both Win 7 & 10!
:clap:

It's on sale again now for the usual 50% off, I'm going to pick it up but I'm just wondering are the only choices to buy it from PluginBoutique or Korg shop, can't seem to find it anywhere else so I guess they're the only 2 places ?

A bug appears with Wavestate hosted by Digital performer 11 under Monterey (AU version).
When I start a sequence sound, the Wavestate (version 1.2.4) no longer stops and seems stuck: even when changing patches, the sound does not vary and remains frozen on the current patch.
This doesn't happen with the OPSIX or Modwave; I am with the demo versions _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

On the Wavestate, Solo function keys would be welcome to listen to each Layer separately.
Then, separate outputs to redirect to other effects or auxiliaries, different Layers _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7., D.P. 11.3 & Kontakt 7.9 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Altiverb 8_ Explorer Loïc Le Pape
https://loiclepapesteelguitars.com/

So far, Modwave Native is fine on my M2.

In fact I just sat here for... well not sure how long, but it was a long time - long enough to go through all the pads and most of the synth sounds - geeking out at how good it is. Lots of really musical and useful presets, not just showoff filler.

Edit: Nevermind, I realised I could click on the opsix Native Algorithm parameter in the VST properties window in Bitwig and map it from there, MIDI learn style.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

The Korg native Mod Wave doesn't work properly in Reason 12.

I am getting the message midi input about to overflow when i add it into reason.

The New Microkorg vst and the Wavestate and OPsix works fine and so does all of my other vst's.

Return to “Instruments”