What morphing plugins are there and pros cons?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Say CDP or DSP one more time mother@#$#@#
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

I agree that Kyma is still essentially unrivaled for this function. Have lusted after it for 20+ years but figured we'd have something comparable on native systems by now (actually by several years ago). I've owned Zynaptiq Morph for a while now and do think it's the best sounding of the native bunch even though it's annoying to set up in a DAW.

nonstatic wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:21 am I agree that Kyma is still essentially unrivaled for this function. Have lusted after it for 20+ years but figured we'd have something comparable on native systems by now (actually by several years ago). I've owned Zynaptiq Morph for a while now and do think it's the best sounding of the native bunch even though it's annoying to set up in a DAW.
Sidechaining seems to vary a lot within and between DAWs. In Reaper I can really struggle to get sidechaining working sometimes yet with Zynaptiq Morph it just seems to happen easily. (hope I haven't jinxed that now :) )

wow that kyma is awesome but expensive. i wonder if that hardware will also run a daw anad plugins? anyone know?
Capitalism is a cancer of the human mind, as with all authoritarianisms. It opulently gluttonizes the selfish and carelessly starves the meek. It consumes Mother Earth and Humanity unhealthily, currently.

Timfonie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:40 am Many years ago Kyma was the king of morphing. These days .. well, it still seems to be the only option for realistic sound morphing.

I've frequently checked for true alternatives for Kyma, but no, there isn't.
Too bad Kyma needs a dedicated hardware platform which is not for sale anymore.

We may see Google/Meta fill in the gap. That could mean sound morphing will become ubiqutous in society.
do you mean they arent going to sell the hardware anymore? on the site currently it says about preorder, but the site sucks. it would be cool to license this and do another version with cheaper hardware, even kf it means its not done in real time.
Capitalism is a cancer of the human mind, as with all authoritarianisms. It opulently gluttonizes the selfish and carelessly starves the meek. It consumes Mother Earth and Humanity unhealthily, currently.

Sebastiantheseeker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:49 am wow that kyma is awesome but expensive. i wonder if that hardware will also run a daw anad plugins? anyone know?
It's only for running Kyma DSP, no other uses for it.

Sebastiantheseeker wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:55 am do another version with cheaper hardware, even kf it means its not done in real time.
The Kyma stuff could have probably been run in realtime on normal PC hardware 20 years ago already, but they want to keep their DSP code tightly coupled to the hardware they sell. (Read : the Kyma hardware is a copy protection dongle for their DSP software.) So no, there will never be an inexpensive way to run Kyma.

Old Composers Desktop Project comes to mind.

Edit: already mentioned on page2, sorry.

I wish there were some better plugin options for this, although zynaptiq morph is not that bad

Timfonie wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:40 am Many years ago Kyma was the king of morphing. These days .. well, it still seems to be the only option for realistic sound morphing.

We may see Google/Meta fill in the gap. That could mean sound morphing will become ubiqutous in society.
The Kyma demo was going sometimes too fast between sounds, given my interest in 1/2-1/2 (and/or thereabouts) interpolations of sounds and their evolution and with other sounds over time. Like cross-breeding different animals to get an entirely new one and continuing on with the process, maybe in automated fashion. There's an app called Trilobyte if memory serves that is supposed to do this, but wonder how effective it is, given some comments on KVR.
...Does Kyma need some kind of external hardware, or can it run on any computer? Is it free?

Check out Magenta's Interpolate (they have others like Drumify, Continue, Generate and Groove), maybe via github. They have been sitting in my apps folder and I've not yet taken some listens, at least to all of them, as they are only standalone if recalled.

Scultpure in Logic Pro looks like it does morphing (automated too) (hopefully not crossfading passed off as morphing), and Cube 2 by Virsyn appears to be back as well and I have been playing with its demo. Unsure it does proper morphing though and that's something I'd like to find out. But it seems to do resynthesis and is apparently additive-based.

Although this might not be considered morphing, the free Dodo 2 takes pitch and can use it to pitch-mod (and maybe tune-mod) a synth plugin. Haven't used it yet.

Lastly, there's Synplant that is used to 'breed sounds' and it sounds pretty decent. I suppose that it's not exactly wave-breeding but more just less-random parameter-shifting. Its GUI's reminiscent of a front-loading washer with what looks like a radially-branched plant growing inside it behind the glass. So it has character, but useful character, rather than character for its own sake.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Borbolactic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:16 am ...Does Kyma need some kind of external hardware
Kyma is the external hardware. Dedicated proprietary software running on dedicated proprietary hardware.
, or can it run on any computer? Is it free?
Not on your nelly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:15 am
Borbolactic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:16 am ...Does Kyma need some kind of external hardware
Kyma is the external hardware. Dedicated proprietary software running on dedicated proprietary hardware.
, or can it run on any computer? Is it free?
Not on your nelly.
Thanks for the clarification.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Borbolactic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:16 am

Scultpure in Logic Pro looks like it does morphing (automated too) (hopefully not crossfading passed off as morphing),
Yeah it’s physical modelling so there’s nothing really to cross fade between, it’s real morphing between different models or aspects of models
Last edited by aMUSEd on Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

actually i did sign up for preorder a few months ago and recently got an email... the new hardware platform is now shipping...

The creators of CDP (which is very powerful and completely free) have just released a new GUI, Soundshaper 6, as well as an extensive Learning Manual. I personally think Soundshaper is a very usable GUI.

unstablesound.net

There are not enough YouTube learning resources to help people access CDP. I made a 45 minute intro / demo / explainer video here to try to address that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-xHr61m0sY

It's a start. I hope to make one about morphing (once I figure that out) and I hope others will make videos also. But CDP can do waaaaay more than morphing.

Here's a long meditative piece I made that uses CDP's very powerful time stretch and partials-accumulating algorithms to stretch out the sound over 100x. I couldn't have gotten these sounds any other way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq09oYPbMa8

Return to “Effects”