What morphing plugins are there and pros cons?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:41 pm
Borbolactic wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:16 am
Scultpure in Logic Pro looks like it does morphing (automated too) (hopefully not crossfading passed off as morphing),
Yeah it’s physical modelling so there’s nothing really to cross fade between, it’s real morphing between different models or aspects of models
I suppose then that Plasmonic (and others like it) does similar.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Sugar Bytes Factory has 'morphing' feature where it allows to transition between two states. Not a morphing like in Alchemy or Zynaptiq Morph, more like interpolation between different parameters. Still it can yield interesting results.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Borbolactic wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:12 am
Scultpure in Logic Pro looks like it does morphing (automated too) (hopefully not crossfading passed off as morphing),
Yeah it’s physical modelling so there’s nothing really to cross fade between, it’s real morphing between different models or aspects of models
The best was using Modelonia and NI Kore 2 which has a perfect morphing feature but unfortunately no longer runs on my new computer

https://spectmorph.org/

But yeah, mmorph is the one I actually bump into the most, in practice. It’s pretty much a go-to for stuff like creature sounds and interesting sci-fi colors and whatnot, in sound design circles.

Tasty Camouflage For The Bottom-Line In A Race To The Bottom
aMUSEd wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:18 am
The best was using Modelonia and NI Kore 2 which has a perfect morphing feature but unfortunately no longer runs on my new computer
Good to know...

I took a look at Plasmonic's specs and it looks less like a 'physical modelling synth' (whatever that actually means) and more like an 'impulse-response-resonance-subtractive' sort of thing. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I have to ask myself how it might compare/differ from, for examples, AAS' Chromaphone 3 or Modelonia.

About the so-called 'morphers', I also just got back from looking at Lunacy Audio's Cube (seems overpriced) and it looks less like a true morpher and more like a fancy blender ('fader') and thus more like a glorified sampler. (Makes me think of Animoog Z, incidentally.)
On their site, they use both terms interchangeably and there don't appear to be any specs, at least that I could find. Maybe I can find its manual.
In their KVR section, we have one review (5 stars) that seems to insinuate that Virsyn Cube's breaking its samples into partials (assuming that that's what's happening) is a questionable thing.

While potentially great for sounds and music I'm unsure that bending, morphing and distorting terminologies, however, is necessarily a great idea and can seem kind of deceptive and misleading and be confusing and frustrating, especially when trying to find something specific.

Rhizomatic seems to spell it out on-site a bit more transparently WRT how the sound is produced, though.

I recall talking to someone once at a grocery store about ice cream and their differing ingredients and how many have a whole lot of junk or, let's say, questionable stuff, in them compared with other brands. At one point, about one dubious brand, the fellow customer said something along the lines of 'Well, it tastes ok.'.

Of course some things if they are cheaper and faster to make can be sold at about the same prices as things that are slower and more costly to make. 'Competition', they say, right?

But then, what are we ultimately left with?
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Zynaptiq morph is my first choice. It's not cheap option but really game-changing. I'm Logic Pro user and I used Sculpture in time, but Sculpture has its limitations.

Dirtgrain wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:36 am Soundpaint has a morphing feature.

Pros: They are fun to play with and are sometimes useful; once in a while something cool comes out
Cons: Hard to predict the result; sometimes disappointing; not as significant to my music making process as I thought they would be; once in a while something cool comes out, but then I realize later a vocoder would have gotten me there just fine.

Worth the price? Not sure, but I don't regret having the Zynaptiq and Melda (got in bundle) ones.
My feelings exactly. I bought one… now I can’t even remember the name, and I had fun messing with it and then proceeded to never use it again. That said, I’m doing a project where songs run into each other and it could be a fun idea to use a morph plugin to blend between tracks.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

spektralisk wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 am Sugar Bytes Factory has 'morphing' feature where it allows to transition between two states. Not a morphing like in Alchemy or Zynaptiq Morph, more like interpolation between different parameters. Still it can yield interesting results.
Preset morphing is a totally different animal, because “keyframes” in important aspects of the sound are created. Almost more importantly, other aspects of the sounds can be ignored, like the pitch of an oscillator.

If you’ve ever done visual morphing, it’s crucial to tell the software things like “this group of pixels (that are of an eye) are to be morphed into this other group of pixels. (That are maybe also an eye.) I’m not sure how that would work out in audio, but I suspect Kyma is doing something like that, and it’s labor intensive, as it is in visual morphing. That said, machine learning could be used to automate the process, but that’s something for smarter people to figure out.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:46 pm Tasty Camouflage For The Bottom-Line In A Race To The Bottom
Good to know...

I took a look at Plasmonic's specs and it looks less like a 'physical modelling synth' (whatever that actually means) and more like an 'impulse-response-resonance-subtractive' sort of thing. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I have to ask myself how it might compare/differ from, for examples, AAS' Chromaphone 3 or Modelonia.

About the so-called 'morphers', I also just got back from looking at Lunacy Audio's Cube (seems overpriced) and it looks less like a true morpher and more like a fancy blender ('fader') and thus more like a glorified sampler. (Makes me think of Animoog Z, incidentally.)
On their site, they use both terms interchangeably and there don't appear to be any specs, at least that I could find. Maybe I can find its manual.
In their KVR section, we have one review (5 stars) that seems to insinuate that Virsyn Cube's breaking its samples into partials (assuming that that's what's happening) is a questionable thing.

While potentially great for sounds and music I'm unsure that bending, morphing and distorting terminologies, however, is necessarily a great idea and can seem kind of deceptive and misleading and be confusing and frustrating, especially when trying to find something specific.

Rhizomatic seems to spell it out on-site a bit more transparently WRT how the sound is produced, though.

I recall talking to someone once at a grocery store about ice cream and their differing ingredients and how many have a whole lot of junk or, let's say, questionable stuff, in them compared with other brands. At one point, about one dubious brand, the fellow customer said something along the lines of 'Well, it tastes ok.'.

Of course some things if they are cheaper and faster to make can be sold at about the same prices as things that are slower and more costly to make. 'Competition', they say, right?

In ice cream, usually the odd stuff has to do with storage. You can get away with cream and sugar if you are making something that’s going to be consumed when you’re done, but if you need to ship it from Wisconsin to New York and have it sit for weeks in a freezer, you need to add some guar gum.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:20 pm
Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:46 pm Tasty Camouflage For The Bottom-Line In A Race To The Bottom
Good to know...

In ice cream, usually the odd stuff has to do with storage. You can get away with cream and sugar if you are making something that’s going to be consumed when you’re done, but if you need to ship it from Wisconsin to New York and have it sit for weeks in a freezer, you need to add some guar gum.
Well, ok, I raised that issue even though it strays a little...
Haagen Dazs (and a few other so-called premium brands) has no guar gum, at least in some of their flavours. They do have egg yolks, however, so presumably that takes the place of what they might call a 'stabilizer' and presumably it is one of the brands that gets shipped far and sits in a freezer for awhile.

But maybe the gum-travel-sit-in-freezer thing is a rationalization so that they can get those gums in there and therefore make it cheaper. But admittedly, I've never found a grocery store ice cream that did not have either gums or egg yolks in it, so you might be onto something. :)

Anyway, to try to get back on track, I'll just write a token, 'Eat ice cream and make music.'. How's that?
Last edited by Borbolactic on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:07 pm
spektralisk wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:11 am Sugar Bytes Factory has 'morphing' feature where it allows to transition between two states. Not a morphing like in Alchemy or Zynaptiq Morph, more like interpolation between different parameters. Still it can yield interesting results.
Preset morphing is a totally different animal, because “keyframes” in important aspects of the sound are created. Almost more importantly, other aspects of the sounds can be ignored, like the pitch of an oscillator.
I have an old plugin called Kinisis that does exactly that.

Don't think it got far past release but I was one of the original beta testers for it so still have a copy on my old Windows laptop (doubt it will run on my new Mac)
Last edited by aMUSEd on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Real morphing is good as are many waveforms having sex with each other and making child waveforms that then grow up and reproduce too. In real time, as you play the synth. How hard can that be to code? It's not like it's a Mars mission.
It spits out generations after generations of waveforms over time. Cute and affectionate little waveforms crawling into our ears, like Chekov in that old Star Trek motion picture, only not in that negative sense. Thus expanding mere wavetables into planetary scale and making wavetable synths, for examples, look positively archaic and silly.

Am I making any sense?
Last edited by Borbolactic on Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:52 am, edited 4 times in total.

Yes I know - I have used it for years musically - you get the sounds between the sounds :)

for those who know:
how does the Melda mMorph compare to the Zynaptic Morph ? ( i have the latter, so i see where it sits)

Funky40 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:25 pm for those who know:
how does the Melda mMorph compare to the Zynaptic Morph ? ( i have the latter, so i see where it sits)
quite similar, the melda mmorph has a bit more options but to me zynaptiq one sounds a bit better/is a bit more intuitive to use. that said been using the melda one more lately. but they are i would say 75% the same

Return to “Effects”