Windows 10 vs 11 for Music Production & Mixing (should I update)?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Putting stuff in folders just adds clicks, it's a shit solution to the problems of W11's Start.

And since when can you DnD files onto apps in the Taskbar? I just tried it here at work in Win10 and the only option it offers is to pin it to that app in the Taskbar, where it stays forever.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Putting stuff in folders just hides clutter you don't use much, I think its a good 'option' to have but you don't have to use it.

The big headline features of the update (due any time) is better touch support and return of drag and drop to taskbar (including folders, which I assume you can then drop files into but I cant confirm this)

Drag-and-drop support to the taskbar
App folders in Start menu
Resizable pinned area in Start menu
System Tray updates
Focus Assist integration with Notification Center
New “spotlight” wallpaper feature
New Voice Access accessibility feature
New gestures and animations for touch users
New minimised Taskbar interface for tablets
New Task Manager app
Better OneDrive integration with File Explorer
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I just asked when DnD was ever in the taskbar because I've never been able to do it.

And I don't see how OneDrive integration could be any better, it already shows up like any other drive on your network and you can interact with it in the same way, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am And I don't see how OneDrive integration could be any better, it already shows up like any other drive on your network and you can interact with it in the same way, too.
It has prettier graphics and a little activity indicator ;-)

''File Explorer also comes with a new OneDrive integration to help you have control over storage consumption and ensure your files are syncing. When browsing your OneDrive folders, you can now see your sync status and quota usage without leaving the app.''

This is the best article/list on the new features I have found.

https://pureinfotech.com/windows-11-22h2-new-features/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

That still doesn't tell me when Windows ever had DnD to the taskbar. I'm an Insider so I get all this info from Microsoft, even though they hardly ever give me a new beta to test any more. I usually get the new beta a couple of weeks before the update goes live and that's it.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:11 am That still doesn't tell me when Windows ever had DnD to the taskbar.
I don't think I understand your issue, Win 10 you can DnD apps and folders onto to the taskbar to make shortcuts (I think that was what someone was referring to) ?

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:11 am That still doesn't tell me when Windows ever had DnD to the taskbar. I'm an Insider so I get all this info from Microsoft, even though they hardly ever give me a new beta to test any more. I usually get the new beta a couple of weeks before the update goes live and that's it.
I can't give you a date but seems like DnD has been there forever.

I'm talking about dragging a file to an already open app. I just checked on my W10 work box; run notepad and minimise it then drag a text file from anywhere onto the icon, Notepad restores and you can drop the file onto it thus opening it. You can't do that in 11. A small thing but I find it handy, you need to have the app running but then you can just leave it there and drag stuff as you need it. Maybe I'm just used to it, seems quicker than right clicking and selecting an app, especially if you have a number of options, say with graphics files.

If that's what they were talking about, that still works in Windows 11, at least it does on the version I have - 21H2 22000.778. Just checking now, version 22H2 is available, so I might install it today and see what it brings.
SLiC wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 amI don't think I understand your issue, Win 10 you can DnD apps and folders onto to the taskbar to make shortcuts (I think that was what someone was referring to) ?
That also works in Windows 11. What I had assumed was that you could DnD onto a taskbar button to open a file, like you can do on macOS, and that's never worked in any version of Windows I've used. If the application iis running, you can do it in the way Gary suggests but if the application isn't running, all you can do is pin the file to that app's icon.

That's interesting, the DnD definitely doesn't work on my Win11 (22000.739), I just get a red 'no entry' symbol across the file as I drag it over the taskbar. Though this is the home edition, maybe that's seen as a pro feature?

Do you have to enroll in anything to get access to 22H2 for home use? never bothered with the insider stuff away from work.

If you have 12th gen Intel with different cores you'll want Win11. Has there been any news if this new scheduler will be part of Win10 at all?
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I've had win 11 for a good 2 months now and it's very good, I have noticed a slight increase in gaming performance, but other than that it runs the same.
Now if only right click would bring up the real full menu, and not just a cherry picked one, and you have to kick "show more options", then it'd be great. Hopefully they listen to the feedback on that one...
It's especially annoying when extracting! Compressing using 7zip,which I use every day, you have to do another click just to get the 7zp options to show up.
Another nuisance is when you wanna go to the nvidia control panel on the desktop, same shit there. Have to click "show more options".

When they fix this, I'd say its a pretty great OS, but does it differ much from win 10? Nope. Worth money to upgrade? (right now) Nope.

For music production I think the slight performance improvements could be worth it, but honestly it'd be pretty marginal. Maybe slightly more marginal of the 12th gen, but I'm on 10th gen and the difference is negligible.

astralprojection wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 am Now if only right click would bring up the real full menu, and not just a cherry picked one, and you have to kick "show more options", then it'd be great.
This will fix that for you:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... _menu.html
or this:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ns_11.html

GaryG wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:53 amDo you have to enroll in anything to get access to 22H2 for home use? never bothered with the insider stuff away from work.
I don't think so, Insider builds usually come a different way, this seems like the retail rollout to me. And it's got the new Task Manager, at least, and it didn't break anything so I'm happy enough. I haven't checked if DnD works better/differently, though, I've been having too much fun with GForce's new SEM.

slackhead wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:51 am
astralprojection wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:44 am Now if only right click would bring up the real full menu, and not just a cherry picked one, and you have to kick "show more options", then it'd be great.
This will fix that for you:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... _menu.html
or this:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page ... ns_11.html
im familiar with this fix and im currently implementing it. However its a "fix" and Id like it to not be any workarounds, Id like windows to cater to the needs of the user from the get go.
But thank you for sharing the fix!!

I bought a new laptop with windows 11 and did'nt even try it out, i instantly reverted back to windows 10 as i don't like change, i would normally leave it a good while before upgrading but having read some of the comments here i might give it a try.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”