I need some help following the tonic in this progression please.

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

B7 - C#m - F#m - A - E - B - D - F# - G - B - Eb - Ab - B°maj7 - G - A - D - E - B

I started in B mixolydian but from D onwards I'm not sure if parallel chords, borrowed chords, or modulation to another key.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Stamped Records on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think a little more context would be needed before even attempting this. For example is your analysis of the chord progression actually correct or are there other interpretations. Remember most chords can be named in more than one way depending on the context. Some 'chord' notes may simply be passing notes.

Do you have any notation or recording to help with this?
Why do you need the tonic - what will that provide?

It's only a block chord progression at the moment. So a single bar each. Some of them feel the need to hang as a resting place so I guess perhaps that feeling of a rest tells me it's a resolution and therefore a tonic.

But anyways.

As for the notation - the syntax of the chords is correct in terms of the notes that are in the root and the notes that make up the chord (the voicing is simple closed with varying inversions above and a bass root note added below) but as to whether the sharps would be more accurately notated as a flat or visa versa, or whether these chords function as a different enharmonic chord, that's difficult for me to say. These are the kind of insights I'm after I guess.

The reason I would like to know is that I just want to make sure I learn as much as I can from it. I don't like not knowing what's going on, I want to do my music intentionally so that what I like, I can repeat.

Thats helpful, I can tell you are thinking about things, but without seeing the music it is still going to be very hard to tell. What you think is a simple A chord may turn out to be something entirely different - maybe the top of an F# m7 for example - depending on what is around it, voice leading etc.

Hopefully a snip of the midi is ok with you. I don't have a program to output as sheet music.

I appreciate your time and any insights you might have.

OK got it, I'll have a closer look tomorrow. It is quite a varied sequence - not all music has to have a tonic so it may prove difficult to crack

Looks like a succession of chords going to no particular direction, so no tonic !

Return to “Music Theory”