Do you provide an installer app or manual instructions?

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another quick question - when you distribute your plugins do you:
1. Include an installer app that automatically puts the plugins and .instrument folders in the right place? or
2. Provide manual installation instructions in something like an INSTALLATION.txt file?

Or maybe nothing at all and let the user figure it out themselves? I do believe most DAW users know where their plugins live and many, myself included, store plugins in custom folders which would render both an installer and a INSTALLATION.txt file fairly useless.

I do like the idea of an installer app but it adds extra creation overhead on each plugin. Currently I just include a text file noting common paths.

The tricky thing with manual installation is no matter how may times you tell a user to put BOTH the plugin file AND the .instruments folder into their plugin path some will always forget the .instruments folder and complain it's not working. 😂

dannytaurus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:15 pm Another quick question - when you distribute your plugins do you:
1. Include an installer app that automatically puts the plugins and .instrument folders in the right place? or
2. Provide manual installation instructions in something like an INSTALLATION.txt file?

Or maybe nothing at all and let the user figure it out themselves? I do believe most DAW users know where their plugins live and many, myself included, store plugins in custom folders which would render both an installer and a INSTALLATION.txt file fairly useless.

I do like the idea of an installer app but it adds extra creation overhead on each plugin. Currently I just include a text file noting common paths.

The tricky thing with manual installation is no matter how may times you tell a user to put BOTH the plugin file AND the .instruments folder into their plugin path some will always forget the .instruments folder and complain it's not working. 😂

What I do is that when I export my plugin dll and the instruments folder, I create a folder with the name of my plugin and inside it I paste the dll and the instruments folder and with that I create the installer, my clients have never had problems with facilities

I provide a pdf with the instructions in it. 99% get it. I'll eventually move to installers at some point, but I'm sure there'll still be 1% of customers who will have problems anyways, even with the installers.

Return to “Maizesoft”