Request for quality sounds for the "LinnStrument MPE" library for Surge XT

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

teknico wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:28 pm Plain Surge runs on Zynthian, not sure about XT.
Cool if also true for XT ... the basic engine and framework are the same, so it sounds promising ... have you actually tried this or reporting from other's experience?

Of course, like half the cool things out there, it's out of stock.. but hey you can buy the box.

I did not try it yet, even though I do have a Zynthian v4, but I will at some point: Surge XT looks magnificent. Currently learning to make patches on a Korg Z1, another magnificent, old, unique beast.
--
Nicola 'teknico' Larosa

teknico wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:28 pm Plain Surge runs on Zynthian, not sure about XT.
Xt should. It’s just a vst3 and doesn’t use gtk. If it doesn’t would love to know (as I’m sure would the zhnthan team)

Just FYI we released XT 1.1.2 today which fixes a problem we were experiencing in live, adds some small Quality of Life improvements, but also includes the latest patches from this group in the shipped content and tags them so that you can find them in the patch finder by typing "Linnstrument"

Thanks, Paul. The "LinnStrument MPE" folder (in Third Party Patches) contains the latest patches from me and other LinnStrument players, which Mario was very helpful in refining. Thanks so much to you, Mario and the entire Surge team for making such a significant contribution to both LinnStrument players and to the music synthesis community in general!

Some fantastic sounds in latest release! As they didn't quite make it in, I thought I'd share some Surge XT patches I've created here as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MilesParker wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:14 pm Some fantastic sounds in latest release! As they didn't quite make it in, I thought I'd share some Surge XT patches I've created here as well.
There will be a 1.1.3 one day :)

Continue to be happy to integrate the patches and features from the community here. Thanks for all your support!

My typical LinnStrument sound design process going back a few years and using Serum, is to create a wavetable from two or three sampled single-cycle waveforms, then morphing between them using the Y-axis. I was thrilled to find out that you can import these wavetables into Surge and they will be saved with the patch, meaning I can continue to use this technique and share sounds with a wider audience.

However, I've been thinking about making a tutorial, and I'm still using Serum to make the wavetables. It seems a bit obnoxious to have a tutorial for a free synth where step one is "buy this $200 synth." I've been looking at the available free wavetable makers and I haven't found one that will do what I need, which is to build a table by interpolating between two waves. Does anyone know of one that does this? Or can someone recommend the simplest framework to use if I decide I have to write one myself?

shutterdownmax wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:20 pm Or can someone recommend the simplest framework to use if I decide I have to write one myself?
my sense of 'simple' may be skewed, but surge ships with a bunch of python scripts which we used to do some of the high frequency table generation from python formulae. if that sounds interesting let me know.

we have a super-ultra-incomplete draft of using lua to do the same thing in-synth but we didn't finish it for either the 1.0 or the 1.1 family. If you are a C++ dev and would like to help us change that fact, also let me know.

If neither of those answer your question, apologies. (no need to let me know :) )

baconpaul wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:32 am
shutterdownmax wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:20 pm Or can someone recommend the simplest framework to use if I decide I have to write one myself?
my sense of 'simple' may be skewed, but surge ships with a bunch of python scripts which we used to do some of the high frequency table generation from python formulae. if that sounds interesting let me know.

we have a super-ultra-incomplete draft of using lua to do the same thing in-synth but we didn't finish it for either the 1.0 or the 1.1 family. If you are a C++ dev and would like to help us change that fact, also let me know.

If neither of those answer your question, apologies. (no need to let me know :) )
I have a little experience writing VSTs in C++, but it's been a while and I'm probably not qualified. If I do go that route I'd be happy to share my code. What I have in mind is fairly simple: import two wavs, stretch each to 256 samples, convert to FFT, interpolate 256 steps, write an output wave with the appropriate headers.

I'm presently useless with python :)

Thank you very much to everyone who contributed to these sounds. I just got it working and am having fun exploring. The Rhodes is great

If anyone is looking for ideas of a sound to make: I think it would be fantastic if we looked at recreating the sound from Connor Golden's performance at Roger's office. It sounds like it can do a good job at both chordal, polyphonic lines as well as more "front and center" melodic lines.

I learned that Connor is using a pedal in that video to maybe modulate the low pass filter. Maybe a reproduction of this sound can have settings or two versions: one with the foot pedal and one with pressure mapped to the same parameters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ACZflVPPY

TigerBalm wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:05 am I learned that Connor is using a pedal in that video to maybe modulate the low pass filter. Maybe a reproduction of this sound can have settings or two versions: one with the foot pedal and one with pressure mapped to the same parameters.
I was working on a sound today that uses a pedal (as mod wheel) to boost the volume of the oscillator while at the same time reducing the amount that pressure controls the volume. This helps to have a very dynamic sound with really quiet parts, but no accordion sucking sound when you want to play fast. It takes some getting used to but I think it has a lot of potential.

The LFO-as-curve trick helps here, because the pedal can negatively modulate the amplitude of a pressure curve.

hi shutterdownmax,
you can import multiple single cycle waves and combine them into wavetable with this free "wavetabler" https://oceanswift.net/wavetabler/

I've asked Connor Golden if he'd be willing to create the same sound in Surge XT. It sounds fairly simple, like a sawtooth wave through a filter.

Unfortunately wavetabler only runs on Windows.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”