TAL Sampler 4, new look - free update!

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apropos of the thread (but not what is currently being discussed), Espen Kraft put out a TR-808 vs. TR-8S comparison today and said at the end that the samples used would soon be available as a TAL-Sampler pack:

http://youtu.be/eQFjEuD51EE

Uncle E wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:55 pm Apropos of the thread (but not what is currently being discussed), Espen Kraft put out a TR-808 vs. TR-8S comparison today and said at the end that the samples used would soon be available as a TAL-Sampler pack:

http://youtu.be/eQFjEuD51EE
I wonder why he wouldn't do it as a TAL Drum pack? That being said I've put some multi-sample drum/perc sounds in some of my packs and it works out fine.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:57 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:16 pm
EmptyVessel wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:48 pm
midi_transmission wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:33 pm Changing presets via left/right button at the top is limited to the current folder. What about to remove this restriction and make it work over folder borders?
I think this would affect people who are making folders of presets for live performance as a few people have mentioned here, having it suddenly step out of the folder you set up would be a problem. We could have it as an option though so people can have the behaviour they want. Personally I quite like having folders to organise various "banks" and have it stay within the current bank.
Sure just as an option. Take your factory content. There are many folder with just a few presets in it. That means to scan though all presets you have so many folder changes that's exhausting. And other factory content like Hollowsun use even more folders.

I would agree when you had like 5 folders with many presets. But the Tal Sampler presets are more often than not scatted over a lot of folders.
Yeah fair point, it's why I stopped structuring my packs like that, only I think the first one maybe two (plus the factory content) are like that. It seemed like a good idea at the time from an organisational point of view. The rest of my packs are all in one folder and I've just put the type of the patch as the first 3 letters. I should redo the factory content and get Patrick to update the zip.
I've seen other plugins that display the same behaviour where they'll keep just rotating within the same folder, go back to the start when you go past the last one - rather than move on to the next folder/patch type. I can totally see use cases for both behaviour so an option makes sense.
:tu:

The more i think about it the more i like the idea to reorder all presets in fewer folder with a type prefix.

Currently the search seems restricted to the current folder. But when the search would find results in subfolders too you could use the prefix like a tag.

[folder] is a folder

[Preset folder]
- [Roland] -> pad_wonder.talsmpl
- [Korg]-> pad_ pianostring.talsmpl

search "pad_"

result is:

pad_wonder.talsmpl
pad_ pianostring.talsmpl

midi_transmission wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:52 pm The more i think about it the more i like the idea to reorder all presets in fewer folder with a type prefix.

Currently the search seems restricted to the current folder. But when the search would find results in subfolders too you could use the prefix like a tag.

[folder] is a folder

[Preset folder]
- [Roland] -> pad_wonder.talsmpl
- [Korg]-> pad_ pianostring.talsmpl

search "pad_"

result is:

pad_wonder.talsmpl
pad_ pianostring.talsmpl
You could do this yourself, it would just take a while. In my factory presets they expect the samples to be up one folder and then in a samples folder (from memory, something like that anyway). If you moved all the pad patches out and added the prefix they'd then fail to find the samples, you use the missing samples dialog to point it at the samples or sample data or whatever I called it. Then resave each preset. If I do it and Patrick updates the factory zip then it potentially breaks previous saved DAW projects I think and not everyone may want the change anyway. This way you can organise things any way you wish, you just need to repair the pointer to the samples after.

The search really should cross folders IMO to look at all of the presets you have, not just the current folder.
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

I wish TAL-Sampler (and also TAL-DRUM) would be able to do key and velocity crossfading (i.e an option to crossfade between overlapping mappings, both along the key range and along the velocity range). This would help a lot with making multisampled instruments more believable (some of the factory presets even show the issue of not having that quite well: a very audible difference in tone between the last note of a mapping and the first note of the next mapping).

Classical samplers that TAL emulates also had this feature (Emulator 2, Akai S1000), and it would make TAL-Sampler instantly much more powerful.

Is this planned in a future update @EmptyVessel?

EmptyVessel wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:30 am
The search really should cross folders IMO to look at all of the presets you have, not just the current folder.
When I tried it did only work in the current folder. Maybe you could try it to verify that it does not work?

A global search would make much more sense.

fladd wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:17 pm Is this planned in a future update @EmptyVessel?
I don't have a complete list but it hasn't been mentioned in any conversations I've had with Patrick, I use the feature quite a bit in other samples so I definitely think it'd be a good addition. I'll pass it on :tu:
midi_transmission wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:55 pm When I tried it did only work in the current folder. Maybe you could try it to verify that it does not work?

A global search would make much more sense.
Sorry, my wording wasn't very clear, by "should" I meant it would make sense for it to work this way, I agree. It definitely doesn't right now. Even if it worked where you could search in a top level folder where you keep all your TAL presets and it would also check sub-folders, that would work for me. Only the current folder is pretty limiting. I'll chat to Patrick about it. Thanks.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:01 pm Sorry, my wording wasn't very clear, by "should" I meant it would make sense for it to work this way, I agree. It definitely doesn't right now. Even if it worked where you could search in a top level folder where you keep all your TAL presets and it would also check sub-folders, that would work for me. Only the current folder is pretty limiting. I'll chat to Patrick about it. Thanks.
Thanks for the clarification. That would be a handy update, I agree.

I have a problem with the layers (A,B,C,D). It seems that somehow the envelopes are "linked" between the layers (for the lack of a better word). What I mean is that if I finished layer A, and then work on layer B, all my envelope settings for layer B are then copied to A, overwriting what I did there before. What am I missing here?

fladd wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:45 pm I have a problem with the layers (A,B,C,D). It seems that somehow the envelopes are "linked" between the layers (for the lack of a better word). What I mean is that if I finished layer A, and then work on layer B, all my envelope settings for layer B are then copied to A, overwriting what I did there before. What am I missing here?
You don't miss anything, Envelopes are globar for all layers. AFAIK. Someone corrects me if I am wrong. Meaning the ENV1 value is for all layers.

While we are at the envelopes can anyone tell me if is it possible to extend the Release time?

It seems a bit short to me for long fade-outs. My AKAI S5000 and S6000 had much longer release times. Probably 3x more. Ableton Sampler has 60 seconds release time, ok that one is bonkers but something as double as the current time would be nice.

Also again while on Envelopes, having the option to choose between linear or exponential Release (or A,D,S) slope - it would shape sounds much nicer.

As Fladd wondered - it would be cool for each layer to have its own envelope that's for sure.

But man...even if none of this finds its way into actual release, TAL Sampler got some balls and sounds. It behaves, unlike anything. Does anyone members Morgana? This is it but better. I can't get similar sounds from any sampler out there. It has a character of its own. I totally understand why someone would create a Drum kit for TAL Sampler instead of TAL Drum. Different sound altogether (I love TAL Drum as well don't get me wrong).

kmonkey wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:55 pm
You don't miss anything, Envelopes are globar for all layers. AFAIK. Someone corrects me if I am wrong. Meaning the ENV1 value is for all layers.
Oh, that seems strange. What is the use case for layers then? I mean, you could then also just bounce the several sounds together before putting the combined sound in a single layer. It seems that the whole point of multiple layers is that you can shape different sounds differently in parallel to create a more rich sound (think the famous "Fantasia" preset of the D-50 for example).

fladd wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:58 pm Oh, that seems strange. What is the use case for layers then? I mean, you could then also just bounce the several sounds together before putting the combined sound in a single layer. It seems that the whole point of multiple layers is that you can shape different sounds differently in parallel to create a more rich sound (think the famous "Fantasia" preset of the D-50 for example).
I understand completely what you mean. I think it's a design choice rather than they forgot to add individual envelopes for each layer. Because TAL Sampler is all about simplicity, workflow, and sound.

I know I am sounding silly but theoretically, you could use just one layer and their Envelopes and then "layer" multiple TAL Samplers in your DAW. But that is overkill.

I am not affiliated with them, who knows perhaps they are working on such a feature. I am more interested in longer Release times and a linear envelope with additional segments to mimic exponential/logarithmic slopes.

Regarding modulating individual layers with envelopes, you could achieve that with the mod-matrix i.e. assigning env1 to volume A, env2 to volume B, etc. Just make sure you turn the volume dial on each layer to zero - fully to the left - and turn up the amount in the matrix. Of course there are four layers and only three envelopes, but hey... :)
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

This is what I meant when I said "exponential" curves. Note: images are not mine they are from the internet (quick Google), but they explain far better than I can tell with my silly English.

Ableton Sampler - try to save the .GIF on your computer to see the animation - I am unsure why is it not working.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 at 17.50.35.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “TAL Software”