TAL Sampler 4, new look - free update!

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all!

Just a quick question, I've just updated to 4.5.4 and, opening it, something felt off visually. I've compared my plugin window with the screenshots in this thread, all the way back to 4.1.2 on the first page, and it seems like the font in 4.5.4 is different - wider and less anti-aliased I think. This is particularly noticeable under the knobs and in the mod matrix where "Amount" is super cramped.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm not going crazy, anyone else notice this?

(VST2 and VST3 in Ableton Live 10.1.43 on Windows 10)

ohdoubleu wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:02 pm Hi all!

Just a quick question, I've just updated to 4.5.4 and, opening it, something felt off visually. I've compared my plugin window with the screenshots in this thread, all the way back to 4.1.2 on the first page, and it seems like the font in 4.5.4 is different - wider and less anti-aliased I think. This is particularly noticeable under the knobs and in the mod matrix where "Amount" is super cramped.

Yeah, I noticed a difference too, threw me off a bit. Kind of prefer how it was before. :shrug:

[nx] wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:27 pm

Yeah, I noticed a difference too, threw me off a bit. Kind of prefer how it was before. :shrug:
Ah, thanks for confirming! It definitely feels off. Incidentally, the patch notes mention that a wrong font issue was fixed a few versions ago, which makes me think that it might be the same issue that crept back in as an oversight in this update.

Has anyone ever seen a proper comparison between TAL Sampler/Morgana and the actual hardware? Both plugins have passed my own sniff test but I've always been curious to see how they compare to the instruments they're emulating.

noddyoer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:20 am Has anyone ever seen a proper comparison between TAL Sampler/Morgana and the actual hardware? Both plugins have passed my own sniff test but I've always been curious to see how they compare to the instruments they're emulating.
When I was first working with the development version of TAL Sampler I had a pretty big collection of vintage samplers and in most cases was able to get close enough to the sound of each using TAL Sampler that I couldn't really tell the difference. I cut my collection quite a lot and settled on a couple that seem to have a particular magic to the sound (ASR10 and Roland S750) but a big part of that is nostalgia and that I just enjoy using hardware sometimes.
I kinda see TAL Sampler more as another, quite flexible, vintage sampler in the collection rather than as a direct replacement for having the hardware.
The way software is getting now, IMO, I appreciate hardware more for the interaction with something physical and the ideas that tends to inspire being different to ideas I have when working only with software.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

EmptyVessel wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:44 pm
noddyoer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:20 am Has anyone ever seen a proper comparison between TAL Sampler/Morgana and the actual hardware? Both plugins have passed my own sniff test but I've always been curious to see how they compare to the instruments they're emulating.
When I was first working with the development version of TAL Sampler I had a pretty big collection of vintage samplers and in most cases was able to get close enough to the sound of each using TAL Sampler that I couldn't really tell the difference. I cut my collection quite a lot and settled on a couple that seem to have a particular magic to the sound (ASR10 and Roland S750) but a big part of that is nostalgia and that I just enjoy using hardware sometimes.
I kinda see TAL Sampler more as another, quite flexible, vintage sampler in the collection rather than as a direct replacement for having the hardware.
The way software is getting now, IMO, I appreciate hardware more for the interaction with something physical and the ideas that tends to inspire being different to ideas I have when working only with software.
Thanks for the perspective! I completely understand the appreciation for hardware. For all of its benefits, the ITB workflow can't really replicate the experience of working with real instruments. However, I actually prefer the speed and ease of use of software, so for TAL to be at least sonically on par with the samplers it's inspired by is all I need... Unless an EPS shows up at <200$ :hihi:

noddyoer wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:10 pm Unless an EPS shows up at <200$ :hihi:
Co-incidentally I am trying to persuade the guy I sold my EPS to 6-7 years ago to sell it back to me :) The "old gear obsession" seems to have finally found old samplers though and prices have gone up a lot, for a long time I was picking up samplers for 50-200 bucks because people thought I was mad for using them instead of software! I don't think I paid more than $250 (NZ dollars too!) for any of my samplers, all within the last 7 years or so and a few were just given to me. ASR10s have shown up here for like >$4000 in the last year!!
Best of luck in your EPS quest, I've never found another sampler that sounds quite like it, they're 13bit and I don't personally know of any other 13bit samplers.
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

EmptyVessel wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:32 pm
noddyoer wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:10 pm Unless an EPS shows up at <200$ :hihi:
Co-incidentally I am trying to persuade the guy I sold my EPS to 6-7 years ago to sell it back to me :) The "old gear obsession" seems to have finally found old samplers though and prices have gone up a lot, for a long time I was picking up samplers for 50-200 bucks because people thought I was mad for using them instead of software! I don't think I paid more than $250 (NZ dollars too!) for any of my samplers, all within the last 7 years or so and a few were just given to me. ASR10s have shown up here for like >$4000 in the last year!!
Best of luck in your EPS quest, I've never found another sampler that sounds quite like it, they're 13bit and I don't personally know of any other 13bit samplers.
Thanks! Funny enough, I was shooting lowball offers on an EPS this morning while at work... :hihi: Hope you get yours back as well

Would it be possible to have presets for the resampler section like the ones available in the DAC plugin?

[nx] wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:27 pm

I see it also. I don't mind a slimmer font, but there is something a bit off. As said before by others too, character spacing is too small and paddings are very low. That gives a cramped impression.

Has anyone reported it?

Maybe it will look better if you choose a font size smaller and do not compress the character spacing?

Besides, I think it helps a bit to reduce the font brightness in the default theme to get a smoother look.

I would prefer it if the constant experimentation with the UI would stop without making sure it's really better to be honest. Open beta tests maybe? It feels more like a constant back and forth instead of evolution since some time now.

Joe Megalos wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:04 pm Would it be possible to have presets for the resampler section like the ones available in the DAC plugin?
yeah I've requested that a while back, hoping it gets implemented. In the mean time I have a set of init presets with a few DAC settings I like and use often. Still be great to be able to switch them out once the preset is already made though.
emptyvessel

how do you save preset in talwav file format?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:43 pm how do you save preset in talwav file format?
Check the drop down menu:
Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.54.17.png
You will still have to save the preset after you've converted the samples.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:57 pm
martiu wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:43 pm how do you save preset in talwav file format?
Check the drop down menu:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 08.54.17.png

You will still have to save the preset after you've converted the samples.
The browser dropdown in my Tal Sampler doesn't have the "Convert wav samples to talwav" option in the menu. I think I have the latest version of Tal Sampler. Is there somewhere you need to turn that option on? I have every other menu option you have except that one and "Copy samples to Preset directory". Are those new options just added? Not sure why it's not showing in my dropdown menu.

i have that but when i press it nothing happens, should it drop a file somewhere?
aliasing plugin owner
:?

Return to “TAL Software”