Composing with Rapid Composer...

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You may have heard me mention that I use RC as a "tool" in my "toolbox" of things I use to make music, in my videos.

I don't see the composition in RC as the final version, but, the first half of the process of making a composition.

My process is, I define the midi and instruments for that midi in RC, then finish in my DAW of choice to produce the final outcome..

A perfect example of this is a song I posted here back in 2018.. It's a before and after version of that song.. The RC version, then the DAW version.. follow the link and check that video out..

viewtopic.php?p=7008803#p7008803
Last edited by BluGenes on Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I still love this song, now that I listened to it again. :tu:
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off - June 3-18

[quote=BluGenes post_id

I don't see the composition in RC as the final version, but, the first half of the process of making a composition.

This is a great point.

The way I use RC now to when I originally got it is totally different, ever since it's stopped working inside Ableton
(with more than one insert)

I use it now more as a utility to chop midi/ organised files, get different variations.
Mess around with the generators to get new rhythms. Manipulate MIDI.

Just waiting for the rest feature to be updated so I can make the most out of all the generators aswell as apply the type of syncopation that I like to existing midi files.

Great videos as always BluGenes

Does RC not work correctly in Ableton? I can't for the life of me seem to get it working. I can see MIDI coming out of the MIDI out but nothing is hitting any of my instruments, even if I use MIDI Mapper to reroute to an IAC port. I just picked the software up today, so excuse me if I sound clueless.

I will say that even if it doesn’t work perfectly in Ableton, the drag and drop functionality is good enough for me to have a lot of fun using it.

Hello Jmf1928,

As far as I know Ableton is not able to route the multiple MIDI channels from plug-ins.
This is not the limitation of the RapidComposer plug-in, which works well in other DAWs.
Please see this topic: viewtopic.php?t=455513

If you check how to use other "MIDI output only" plug-ins (e.g. Noatikl) in Ableton, you will see that a virtual MIDI port is recommended for both Mac and Windows when using with Ableton Live.
I do not use Ableton, and do not know it very well, but I suspect this is the case, because other more experienced (in Ableton Live) RapidComposer users also use a virtual MIDI port, and the standalone version of RapidComposer (with 'MIDI' instruments).

Thanks,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
Summer Sale - 40% off - June 3-18

Return to “MusicDevelopments”