How Long Does It Take You To Finish A Song?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi ya'll - I was just thinking about how long it takes me to finish a song top to bottom. Sometimes it takes me 1 day, sometime 1 week, sometimes 1 year. I find that if I try to force it too much it just doesn't happen, I mean it can but for songs that are dear to my heart I try to really give it the time and space it needs to have it's own sonic journey.

I made this video on Youtube about it - can anyone relate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... =emb_title

Sometimes years; but then, I'm strictly a hobbyist.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Sungate records wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:26 pm Sometimes it takes me 1 day, sometime 1 week, sometimes 1 year.
Sounds exactly right!
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Watchful wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:01 pm
Sungate records wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:26 pm Sometimes it takes me 1 day, sometime 1 week, sometimes 1 year.
Sounds exactly right!
Sounds exactly right!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

You guys finish songs?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:18 pm You guys finish songs?
Ooooh, no I misread the question and thought it said "Finnish" songs. Yeah, it takes me up to a year to translate my songs to Finnish, but I never actually finish any songs, what with all the translations and stuff..
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Between 2 weeks and 9 years on average.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

as long as they are, plus patching time.

Pretty sure I haven't finished any yet.

They are never finished, they are just let out as they are.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

3 days to 7 months.

I once did a remix in a 23 days straight, but now I feel I could do much faster.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

seriously, how long is a piece of string?

11.5cm

Never.

I have found this changes for me depending on the style/genre of song.
At the quickest - If its a simple Hip Hop instrumental that a rapper will get on then the idea can be put down and arranged in 3 hours in the morning and then have it mixed that afternoon ready for the next day. So yeh easy in a 1 day.
If its a downtempo electronic song or something where theres more nuance,details,modulation etc then sure I can get the foundational idea and melodic structure done and arranged in a day but all the transitions, arrangement nuances, creative details and mixing can take a few days to a few weeks. Tracks that take longer then that have normally been because I put them aside to work on something else and come back to them later.

And of course sometimes the idea just sucks and you bail on the song completely or you lose inspiration and just put the song aside for a while because there is an element of something good in it and then just revisit it years later.
I noticed my personal state of wellbeing and health can dictate how quickly a song gets done to.
Better physical health, quicker results.

So many factors beyond just "working harder" lol.

Return to “Production Techniques”