How Long Does It Take You To Finish A Song?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A few days. Most of the producers I admire admit to finishing songs in a few days, so now I'm doing that.

Depends how clear was my vision at the start of the project. If I had a clear idea/melody, I probably have it done in less than a week. But if I just started a project "because of reasons" and to let it flow, it may take months haha

Can I say, that I think you are asking the wrong question.. I don't think it is relevant how long a song takes from start to finish since the listener doesn't care and it doesn't make a difference in the end product (assuming you just take the time you need and not hurry trough the process). I think the question you should ask is how you can improve in finishing songs, for example: where are you getting stuck at most of the time?

Hope that gets you somewhere.

Cheers :)

"If I have a riff and title I'm half way there" - Lou Reed

I know many guys who never ever finished one but have hundred ideas on their harddrives 😅

Yeah, I'lll second the never. only finish when there's a deadline, otherwise it's easy to keep tweaking

This is something I need to work to get better at. The fastest I've finished a song is 10 days, longest can be over a month

Between 10 and 50 hours but they can be spread over weeks in any case. Sometimes months.

I usually leave a bit of distance between developing/recording/tracking and arranging and mixing.

Then the latter two get refined over days, usually in small 30 minute sessions after I've had a few listens over few days.

It's an inherently iterative process and on top of it I have a day job and chores and a family and all that other adulting to do.

I don't finish everything but I don't have a lot of churn for years now, as I rework old ideas for other pieces. It is very infrequent that I will save a project with an inception of an idea that isn't at least 75% good shit that I really like.

I have no problem not hitting that save button when it's a dud, tho.

When inspired 2 days. When not, 2-10 years. :(

Depends on the song. And if you mean arrangement, playing, producing as well.

1h - 2 years

same for me: days to years.. some stay unfinished forever i suppose

141 billion 246 thousand 181 years and 5 seconds and dissipating
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Don't know yet...
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

I'm usually 80% there after four hours or so and then I fuss with it to ruin it more to my liking. :-)

Around half a day. When I don't have to attend at workplace, I can make two songs in twenty four hours.
They are short, no longer than a minute and half, but all this time includes configuring synth, writing a melody (not one bar loop), writing parts for three instruments, recording vocal parts.

I try to release five songs in a week, then i need a time to rest.
I am not familiar with English-speaking Internet culture and slang. Thank you for your patience.

Return to “Production Techniques”