Sequential Trigon 6

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

egbert101 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:47 pm The Pro-2 nearly had it perfect, with four note paraphony, and two filters (Prophet and SEM).

So yeah, perhaps a Pro-4 with four note paraphony and three filters (Prophet, Moog, SEM) would shake the synth world.

But anyway, after comparing the Minilogue with the KingKORG I'm finding the KingKORG is actually good enough in terms of sound, has all those filters, three oscillators and 24 note polyphony and all the modulations you need. The only bad is the now old digital effects which can be solved in the box.
It’s called SE-3X and it sounds better than a Pro3, but is less usable in terms of hardware design. Not 4 note, though.

It’s all subjective, of course, but I wouldn’t say the SE-3X sounds better than the Pro 3. It definitely does a better Moog than the Pro 3 (hell, I think it sounds better than every Moog I’ve ever owned), but it doesn’t have the modern sound and edge that the Pro 3 has. But, that doesn't mean it sounds better or worse, just very different. Same goes with the MatrixBrute. There's so much discussion about the MatrixBrute vs. Pro 3, but they're very different sounding synths IME (I have all three of these synths fwiw). I think the MatrixBrute sounds much closer to the SE-3X and Moogs than it does to the Pro 3.
Last edited by cryophonik on Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Trigon-6 pluck stabs

24db filter with filter feedback - 3 oscillators at 40% each
https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... luck-stabs

My Korg Prologue 16 is my favourite synth for arpeggiator lines, something about the feel of the envelopes, filter and VCOs. Especially when you route velocity to filter and amp envelope for a step sequencer feel

I tried emulating a Prologue arp patch I recently made with the Trigon-6, and I was able to get something just as good.
Used the 12db filter with feedback.
Love the creaminess of this sound.

Just lacking the LFO reset option to make the shimmering effect on the Prologue...

You can hear the main differences in tone, Trigon with the thicker more balanced sound.
Prologue with the smiley face curve

Both dry and unprocessed, but the compressor used on the Prologue 16

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/trigon- ... 2db-filter

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/korg-pr ... atched-arp

I think the 3RD Wave will be up there as well based on my 2 play sessions with one

Both sound nice to my ears.
A little more subtle/gentle with the Prologue
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Trigon-6 sounds like vintage perfection, while the Prologue gives me more modern goosebumps.
<List your stupid gear here>

https://soundcloud.com/coolcolj/sequent ... modulation

First the sound without modulation. 24db filter, with some drive.

Then I modulate Oscillator 3 with itself, and LFO to Oscillator 2 and 3.
So there is a kind of FM style feedback going on

This trigon-6 sound reminds me of my SE Code 8 I once had. That syrupy and creamy sound :harp:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXq9jProtw

I spent the day finally diving into my Trigon and wow, I’m really loving this synth! It’s funny you mentioned the CODE because that’s a synth I’ve wanted for a long time, but I feel like the Trigon has somewhat decreased my GAS for it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Well the Trigon has super snappy envelopes and VCA, which the Code 8 lacks.
It's what led to me selling it eventually.

A modern day Code 8 with faster CPU, better firmware with snappy envelopes would be killer.
Minimoog, Obie SVF, with the CS80 and Jupiter 8 filters would be my pick

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”