Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ananmusatili wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:25 am I don't disagree that it's weird you don't get the prices immediately on the shop page, which is what most software companies that try to push the subscription model do, but that must be the weirdest flex about software function I've ever seen. How's that relevant?
I read your post on choosing Studio One, so I went to their site to check price and what the DAW is all about. Am not fixed on one DAW, am also looking at Bitwig and Ableton, to compliment Reaper. I just think it's weird they make it so hard to find the actual price for the artist / pro or plus edition, haven't got an opinion on workflow etc.

I think the biggest problem with Reaper is that not only does it not have sane defaults, it really has no defaults whatsoever. It is not immediately apparent that maybe installing SWS or similar would be of some great benefit. The Reaper team really need to focus, for at least one minor version, on UX/UI to provide a seamless GUI and a decent OOtB experience.

Inn the credit column, though, Reaper does get MASSIVE props for all their supported OS versions and platforms.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:46 pmThe Reaper team really need to focus, for at least one minor version, on UX/UI to provide a seamless GUI and a decent OOtB experience.
A community build based on the current version, you'd think, would be the way to go.

With a pre-modded skin, sensible defaults and a few add-ons that bring it's core functions up to scratch.

But, I guess bundling these add-ons take away from the groups of people who have worked hard on them, so it maybe could never be. But you're right, some kind of off the shelf gold standard would really help users appreciate how good it can be.

I pity anyone loading it up on a laptop whereby you're expected to hold down a right mouse button to marquee select. Straight out the gate that's a big obstacle, as it goes against the norm for pretty much any other application you'd use.

Choose Reaper, you won't regret it. It's super simple. Low priced. But without overwhelming extra content. This you have to get additionally (plugins / sounds / etc.).

RPH wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:33 pm
I just think it's weird they make it so hard to find the actual price for the artist?
Its $99.99 at Sweetwater, so a person might Just as well buy the lowest priced Presonus Audiobox audio interface they stock @$99.99, and Studio One Artist comes free with it.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ry-edition

I've used Reaper pretty much out-of-the-box, so to speak, since about 2010. If I am looking to do something quite different, I check the manual, it's probably already in there. Defaults are a rather subjective thing. I've been pretty good with most of their choices. If one is set on doing things differently (and there's not already an option for choosing that different approach), then, yes, there are scripts, many of which are generally available without having to write from scratch. Many of these enhance Reaper workflow, item management, etc. Good stuff, but Reaper can still create some pretty sophisticated projects without them, and seems to keep getting stronger with each release.

The appearance? One theme change, and I've been good.

Quick, reliable? Yes.

YMMV

Using reaper here as well, nothing to complain and the more i use the more i get excited finding new ways to improve the workflow with the scripts. If you go default the basics will be all available just like all others, customization you do with time as necessary and as you find out new scripts/tricks.

MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I have tried lots of DAWs and settled on Reaper because it is good in itself and also very cheap. Probably the other daw I liked the most was Bitwig but keeping it current was too expensive. Reaper value for money is hard to beat

sandandpaint wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 pm Reaper value for money is hard to beat
I think Logic is a better value for money. for $199 it has a great selection of instruments, plugins and sample content. I don't think for $130 (diff between the prices) it's possible to acquire the same variety and quality. Although there are a lot of free good options like Vital, Surge LABs etc. maybe this can cover everything Logic offers.

kimearo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:12 pm I think Logic is a better value for money. for $199 it has a great selection of instruments, plugins and sample content.
That's because it's subsidised through sales of Apple hardware though, so you have to include the cost of hardware in that assessment.

It doesn't change what a bargain Logic is, but Reaper exists across Linux, Win and Mac so universally hard to beat. Especially now we have access to so many great free or 'cheap' plugins.

anyway it was a good move for Reaper that skillful hands managed to integrate AbletonLink into it.
https://github.com/ak5k/reablink

ps. the phaselab theme is a very good one I can only recommend it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRw_IhAd3Fs
https://phaselabaudio.gumroad.com/l/reapertheme
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

rj0 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:02 am The appearance? One theme change, and I've been good.
I recently discovered the 'Reapertips theme' which has become my favorite theme by far. It's based on another theme, Smooth 6. Shame there's nothing can be done about the FX windows background. Nothing worse than a glaring bright light piercing through the darkness. :hihi:
That's on Microsoft. :smack:

Reapertips is my favorite so far.
It was well worth $9 donation.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

^^^ never tried it (it's perfectly looking on mac) but I saw a Reddit post about Rectify11 dark mode
https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comment ... indows_11/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”