Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lotus2035 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:40 pm Shame there's nothing can be done about the FX windows background. Nothing worse than a glaring bright light piercing through the darkness. :hihi:
That's on Microsoft. :smack:
I use the "Insert Virtual Instrument on a new track" command to skip the "horror white" impact :hihi: and then if I need to add to the FX chain I just click on an empty TCP effects slot [you need to load Ripertips Theme (TSP Rightside FX) to get those slots] so it bypasses the blinding white background; just the Plugin window.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Is REAPER the current best long term choice?... NO!

lotus2035 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:40 pm
rj0 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:02 am The appearance? One theme change, and I've been good.
I recently discovered the 'Reapertips theme' which has become my favorite theme by far. It's based on another theme, Smooth 6. Shame there's nothing can be done about the FX windows background. Nothing worse than a glaring bright light piercing through the darkness. :hihi:
That's on Microsoft. :smack:
It's actually on Reaper. The latest version still does not respect dark mode on macOS. All windows have a bright white bar across the top and white backgrounds if they use the system window calls.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

eLawnMust wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:46 pm Is REAPER the current best long term choice?... NO!
You're right!
It's the "Only Choice" :D

Reaper's only weakness is midi programming with mouse/trackpad. It is the worst DAW when it comes to this. You have to search for 3rd party scripts to make it behave as a basic midi editor like Ableton or Studio One.

Apart from that, it is the best DAW which happens also to be ugliest, no matter what skin you apply.

skijumptoes wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:13 pm
kimearo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:12 pm I think Logic is a better value for money. for $199 it has a great selection of instruments, plugins and sample content.
That's because it's subsidised through sales of Apple hardware though, so you have to include the cost of hardware in that assessment.

It doesn't change what a bargain Logic is, but Reaper exists across Linux, Win and Mac so universally hard to beat. Especially now we have access to so many great free or 'cheap' plugins.
I don't like Logic. It's got the most expensive copy protection out there, and the dongle that is used to authorize the software is as big as my whole laptop! Two thumbs down! :-x

:wink:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

^^^ iMac... iLok... iDislike...

All it takes is for the name Logic to appear somewhere on KVR, and immediately the twaddle starts to proliferate...

a9k1tp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 pm Reaper's only weakness is midi programming with mouse/trackpad. It is the worst DAW when it comes to this. You have to search for 3rd party scripts to make it behave as a basic midi editor like Ableton or Studio One.

Apart from that, it is the best DAW which happens also to be ugliest, no matter what skin you apply.
really don't know what's wrong with you, but seriously.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 pm All it takes is for the name Logic to appear somewhere on KVR, and immediately the twaddle starts to proliferate...
In all fairness, my "twaddle" was purely in jest and meant for humorous effect. :wink:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Don't take it personally, but this "jest" is too automatic not to be annoying...

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:55 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 pm Reaper's only weakness is midi programming with mouse/trackpad. It is the worst DAW when it comes to this. You have to search for 3rd party scripts to make it behave as a basic midi editor like Ableton or Studio One.

What's the name of your theme?

Monsieur_FyP wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:17 pm Don't take it personally, but this "jest" is too automatic not to be annoying...
:hug:

lotus2035 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:31 pm

What's the name of your theme?
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=286521
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

a9k1tp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 pm ...
Try to make it look like this on Windows... perhaps then you´ll understand what people claim about!

Themes looking great and consistent in every single DAW... just in Reaper it´s mostly impossible to make it look consistent without tons of tweaks and additional tools to do what others do out of the box...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”