Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsound wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 pm
sQeetz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pmdouble
Scotch?
Yes please...
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 pm
liquidsound wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 pm
sQeetz wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 pmdouble
Scotch?
Yes please...
2 Problems solved :hihi:
https://belgiancraftbeers.com/product/i ... y-infused/
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

:lol:
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Bitwig Studio 5.2……Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I have two mouse wheels on my MX master 3S. And they work out of the box without any configuration.
The system knows out of the box what to do with them

soloing with it is a good idea

For soloing on Live I either use my dedicated Push 2 or the Function keys on my keyboard
Dunno

let's learn Reaper today entry :D this is indeed tricky, VCA versus VCA lead & follow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aZE97PD4w
pro tip from the comment section "You can just shift click the fader on the lead track to so it resets the volume without affecting the follow tracks"

thank you Mr Kenny

audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 pm But exaggerations aside, the fact is indeed true that it is less friendly. Reaper is a lot like Linux. The learning curve is a bit more steep, but there are fabulous benefits for those who don't mind that. Also like Linux, the benefits come in the form of being small, efficient, and extremely capable, while remaining extremely flexible. That's the honest trade-offs. Some people will like Reaper for what it is, and some people will dislike reaper for what it is not. It is up to each individual to decide what works best for him/her/their self. :)
I like the Linux/Reaper analogy. I've dabbled with Linux. It's cleaner, higher performance, and more configurable. It can also be intimidating. It's easily usable for basic tasks, and I fully understand how those who have managed the learning curve can feel that it is the best way to go. Perhaps one day, if more programs support Linux, I might take that learning challenge again.

rj0 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:22 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 pm But exaggerations aside, the fact is indeed true that it is less friendly. Reaper is a lot like Linux. The learning curve is a bit more steep, but there are fabulous benefits for those who don't mind that. Also like Linux, the benefits come in the form of being small, efficient, and extremely capable, while remaining extremely flexible. That's the honest trade-offs. Some people will like Reaper for what it is, and some people will dislike reaper for what it is not. It is up to each individual to decide what works best for him/her/their self. :)
I like the Linux/Reaper analogy. I've dabbled with Linux. It's cleaner, higher performance, and more configurable. It can also be intimidating. It's easily usable for basic tasks, and I fully understand how those who have managed the learning curve can feel that it is the best way to go. Perhaps one day, if more programs support Linux, I might take that learning challenge again.
I agree! It also explains why those who like Linux also like Reaper—similar philosophies. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 pm
I agree! It also explains why those who like Linux also like Reaper—similar philosophies. 🙂
I like linux. I have Kali Linux installed on parallels on my Macbook for troubleshooting net problems on client networks....
Still don't like Reaper :wink: :cry: :hihi:

sQeetz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:45 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 pm
I like linux. I have Kali Linux installed on parallels on my Macbook for troubleshooting net problems on client networks....
Still don't like Reaper :wink: :cry: :hihi:
No worries! I’m not judging anyone about any of it! To each his own. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

One immediate advantage it has over other DAWs is that, at least with 1.1x UI zoom on macbook, the embedded plugins are already quite usable.

Reason also has this interactive channel strip mixer, which is also very user-friendly, but actually, I don't know another DAW where you can both see and tweak from the mixer(multiple tracks) at the same time without some additional popup solution, the SSL 360 can do this, but that is not a native DAW feature ... I don't have any particular issues with it, much smoother than the 6.x.x on win it's time to relicense it :D

ps. I should note that it required the ability to toggle the docker on and off in multiple positions, that's when the gear became good/usable (works like Cubase)

It also needs the Reason Rack, but that comes down to personal preference as to which multi-FX plugin one finds convenient, Reason has a Serial Parallel Effects Mixer, which is quite cumbersome to replicate in Reaper, so that's necessary. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/

xbitz wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:09 am It also needs the Reason Rack, but that comes down to personal preference as to which multi-FX plugin one finds convenient, Reason has a Serial Parallel Effects Mixer, which is quite cumbersome to replicate in Reaper, so that's necessary. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cts-mixer/
You can with scripts in Reaper and it's free: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=283054

Reaper good. Some of the pop up windows are really ugly and hard to read.
For Trade: UAD Galaxy Tape Echo redeem code. DM me with trade offer.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”