Is REAPER the current best long term choice?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liquidsound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:31 pm@Michael… guess why I still use MuLab? :D
Because MuLab plugin greatly increases the "Tinker Factor" ??
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:05 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:31 pm@Michael… guess why I still use MuLab? :D
Because MuLab plugin greatly increases the "Tinker Factor" ??
Nope! Even when I was using Ableton I always used MuLab for starting all my ideas.
I never explored its modular world at a deep level (creating tools etc).
There are some functions I miss in order to do more audio work in MuLab. Hopefully they will eventually be implemented.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:22 pmThere are some functions I miss in order to do more audio work in MuLab. Hopefully they will eventually be implemented.
If you miss some functions, can I suggest... Reaper?

BTW, the elegantly-designed MuLab had four updates just in the past week!
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Trancit wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:58 pmthe ugly thick automation lines
not sure I get that gripe...
Screenshot_20240324_220352.png
are these not like the lines in other DAWs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Michael L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:48 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:22 pmThere are some functions I miss in order to do more audio work in MuLab. Hopefully they will eventually be implemented.
If you miss some functions, can I suggest... Reaper?

BTW, the elegantly-designed MuLab had four updates just in the past week!
I know. Jo is incredibly talented. MuLab Audio stretching algorithm is extraordinary.
I use it a lot by bouncing MuLab Audio manipulations to a Track in Reaper.

GaryG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:07 pm

No:
Reaper (left) vs. FL Studio (right)... how much thicker are the lines in Reaper?? 2x, 3x??
Automation.jpg
Perhaps it´s theme dependant or there are other settings as on your screenshot they are looking thinner...
I don´t know... I just know in FLS they are looking fine out of the box... and my Reaper skin is the default one without any tweaks

Anyway... Automation lines were just a tiny example of what I wrote...
Reaper is the most ugly DAW since Project5 and being customizeable is not an excuse as long as not even the company itself is able to provide defaults which are looking nice without the user having to interact to actually do their (the companies...) job...
A car manufacturer doesn´t sell it´s cars in light green with pink stars on it by default with the excuse the buyer can always paint it in other colors...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trancit wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 pm
GaryG wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:07 pm

No:
Reaper (left) vs. FL Studio (right)... how much thicker are the lines in Reaper?? 2x, 3x??
Automation.jpg

Perhaps it´s theme dependant or there are other settings as on your screenshot they are looking thinner...
I don´t know... I just know in FLS they are looking fine out of the box... and my Reaper skin is the default one without any tweaks

Anyway... Automation lines were just a tiny example of what I wrote...
Reaper is the most ugly DAW since Project5 and being customizeable is not an excuse as long as not even the company itself is able to provide defaults which are looking nice without the user having to interact to actually do their (the companies...) job...
A car manufacturer doesn´t sell it´s cars in light green with pink stars on it by default with the excuse the buyer can always paint it in other colors...
Reaper = 4 pixels
Ableton = 4 Pixels
Bitwig = 5 Pixels (1+3+1)
FL = 4 Pixels (1+2+1)
Reason = 3 Pixels (2+1)

The #1 are shadow pixels.

I didn't check S1 yet...

As you see, you have a personal mood to Reaper. It doesn't help your case :hihi:

Here's the main page of my beautiful little REAPER Daw...

writheuk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:44 am Here's the main page of my beautiful little REAPER Daw...
Wow I really like that theme and your layout. It's been some years since I've used Reaper and I'd like to give it a shot once again. Any chance you can point me in the right direction to help me configure something similar to yours, theme, settings, shortcut toolbars, etc? Feel free to PM me if you like. Thanks in advance.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 amAny chance you can point me in the right direction to help me configure something similar to yours
He starts with this theme, and then goes into crazy places you can only find in Reaper:
https://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/ ... erial.html
Michael L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pmI think people who use a daw for composing have different aesthetic needs than people who use a daw for producing or mixing.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

xbitz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:55 pm
a9k1tp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 pm Reaper's only weakness is midi programming with mouse/trackpad. It is the worst DAW when it comes to this. You have to search for 3rd party scripts to make it behave as a basic midi editor like Ableton or Studio One.

Apart from that, it is the best DAW which happens also to be ugliest, no matter what skin you apply.
really don't know what's wrong with you, but seriously.
It's not about buttons and colors. User experience is pretty bad when compared to Ableton, Bitwig or Studio One. Themes can't change the UX.

But the only reason I can't work with Reaper is the behavior of Piano roll. It is different and slow from other DAWs I have tried.

For example, Piano roll's grid can't change automatically when zooming in or out. But Arrangement view's grid can change based on zoom in or out. Inconsistencies like this results in poor user experience.

If you have solution for this, please let me know by sharing the link to the solution. Thanks. :)

a9k1tp wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:38 pm
For example, Piano roll's grid can't change automatically when zooming in or out. But Arrangement view's grid can change based on zoom in or out. Inconsistencies like this results in poor user experience.

If you have solution for this, please let me know by sharing the link to the solution. Thanks. :)
Here is the solution:
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=260388

That's what I really like with REAPER. It already works well out of the box, but if you want to improve something there is always a working script

MArpeggiator is also really good https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=283743 (just to able to remember it later) check the advanced page of it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Michael L wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:23 am
summer2000 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:42 amAny chance you can point me in the right direction to help me configure something similar to yours
He starts with this theme, and then goes into crazy places you can only find in Reaper:
https://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/ ... erial.html
Michael L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pmI think people who use a daw for composing have different aesthetic needs than people who use a daw for producing or mixing.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”