Behringer pro 800

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some Jexus presets...

https://youtu.be/_NtgT7sIJIE

Sounds good to me.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:03 pm Sounds good to me.
Agree!

I don't own this one, but I do own the Pro-1 and Kobol Expander, and both of those are outstanding.

Playing around with real analog is just more satisfying to me, I just can't go back to the emulations.

egbert101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:19 pm Playing around with real analog is just more satisfying to me, I just can't go back to the emulations.
Every Behringer leaves me thinking “if only it had…” The Poly-800 is the closest to perfect feature-wise, I just don’t like that Prophet-600 sound. Would rather use emulations, tbh.

It's not really a Prophet 600 but a Prophet 600 with the gligli upgrade, which is no longer the same as the vintage sound. But anyway, I'm sure you know that. I think it sounds great, but I'm a bit more fussy for the classic Prophet 5 sound, so I'll wait for that. If I didn't have the Minilogue, I would go with the Pro-800 and I would be just as happy.

Yeah, I have a Prophet-600 Gligli. Bought long before there were all these good poly VCO alternatives. I was actually hoping the Poly-800 would sound better than it since one of the chips is more of a Prophet-5 chip, but no, it’s pretty much accurate to the Prophet-600 Gligli sound.

Uncle E wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:06 am Yeah, I have a Prophet-600 Gligli. Bought long before there were all these good poly VCO alternatives. I was actually hoping the Poly-800 would sound better than it since one of the chips is more of a Prophet-5 chip, but no, it’s pretty much accurate to the Prophet-600 Gligli sound.
I have the bits to upgrade my prophet 600, but never completed it. So mine is still factory original. Maybe I'll do some comparisons at some point. Probably not, but maybe.

The big win with the Pro-800 is the form factor. I'll probably get the PolySource just to have a poly with a ladder filter in the same form factor.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:53 am
Uncle E wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:06 am Yeah, I have a Prophet-600 Gligli. Bought long before there were all these good poly VCO alternatives. I was actually hoping the Poly-800 would sound better than it since one of the chips is more of a Prophet-5 chip, but no, it’s pretty much accurate to the Prophet-600 Gligli sound.
I have the bits to upgrade my prophet 600, but never completed it. So mine is still factory original. Maybe I'll do some comparisons at some point. Probably not, but maybe.

The big win with the Pro-800 is the form factor. I'll probably get the PolySource just to have a poly with a ladder filter in the same form factor.
I am waiting for the Polysource too :tu:
I got the P800 because i might be one of the few that loves the P600 sound + It has a sound that i haven't found in any vst's because of it's unique Filter, Resonance and envelope + The Awesome price.

egbert101 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:19 pm Playing around with real analog is just more satisfying to me, I just can't go back to the emulations.
Its personal. For me playing with hardware feels clunky and boring. Also saving and loading patches without a knob/slider recall is such a pain.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:53 am The big win with the Pro-800 is the form factor.
Yeah. I love this. Both my Pro-1 and Kobol just went right in to my desk rack space. They take up literally no space now.

I would probably want a Minilogue XD over a Pro-800 though, but I like the more aggressive sounds.

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:21 pm
Its personal. For me playing with hardware feels clunky and boring. Also saving and loading patches without a knob/slider recall is such a pain.
I get both perspectives. I recall feeling how much of a pain it was for both recall and automation of synth parameters back in the pure hardware days. Things like sysex control of parameters or, even better, CC control over parameters were highly sought after. Yet, even with that it was still a clunky pain to get repeatable results. Also, because everything was so damn big it forced a certain geometry on either the room or "control centers" of the room to be able to jam effectively in real time.

Plugins makes so much of that kind of production so much easier. What you lose though, is the rapid real time manual control of many parameters. It's not just that it's easier to do two or more parameters at once, but also that there is less demand on your fine motor control, so it's much faster to move between knobs than it is to move a mouse between knobs.

If I'm automating all of the changes, I still prefer software. If it's an all-hands real time jam, it's hardware all the way, but not old hardware that's too damn big, new hardware that's compact but not cramped.

My current setup uses only a small number of desktop units, almost no keyboards and everything else must go in the rack. The fact that the Behringer units reduces everything to a very nice and uniform 3u rack size just makes it easier to put everything together. My racks contain modular, poly rack units, mono rack units, standard rack fx, and I've brought back all of the old patchbays.

With small units, it's much easier to realize the idea of using the entire studio like a big modular.

stoopicus wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:38 pm I would probably want a Minilogue XD over a Pro-800 though, but I like the more aggressive sounds.
Minilogue XD is great. I saw a Prologue 16 sell for $1,000 last week.

Clever idea here for a really full and expensive sound (but cheaply):

https://youtu.be/3CbTfOa4lcI

I basically do that with my Pro800 by double tracking a part and panning L and R (and then slathering in chorus and delay), hehe.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

egbert101 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:51 pm Clever idea here for a really full and expensive sound (but cheaply)
That’s why I can’t compete with Sweetwater. That’s some 4D chess right there.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”