Expressive E Touche

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:15 pm I have the SE, and its great. The Lié plugin is just a preset player to get you started. There is no need to use it at all…
What's confusing is if you try to use the plugin version of Lie to edit basic CC parameters. It requires you to name the virtual or hardware instrument. You must use the standalone version of Lie to do simple creation of presets, which is what I prefer. But I can't get MIDI out of the Lie application, so it looks like you have to use MIDI DIN (mini plug) output back into my interface if I want to manually control Touche settings as well as control a virtual synth.

I got one thinking it was similar to the controller on the Poly Brute.
It's nothing like that.
Quite limited by comparison
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:28 pm I got one thinking it was similar to the controller on the Poly Brute.
It's nothing like that.
I wouldn’t call it more limited, but I find I use mine less than when I play my PolyBrute. I don’t always want the spring loaded experience, but when I do it’s pretty damn fun. It’s really best with their software instruments.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:01 pm
Jim Roseberry wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:28 pm I got one thinking it was similar to the controller on the Poly Brute.
It's nothing like that.
I wouldn’t call it more limited, but I find I use mine less than when I play my PolyBrute. I don’t always want the spring loaded experience, but when I do it’s pretty damn fun. It’s really best with their software instruments.
Unlike the Polybrute, it doesn't sense surface touch moving front/back (or left/right).
IMO, That's a huge difference.
Much prefer the controller on the Polybrute.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:52 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:01 pm
It's nothing like that.
Unlike the Polybrute, it doesn't sense surface touch moving front/back (or left/right).
IMO, That's a huge difference.
Much prefer the controller on the Polybrute.
I never said it wasn't different. It's very different. Other than looking somewhat similar, it's a totally different type of experience. I just happen to think they're both good, but for different things. You can get really nice percussive stuff going on the Touche that you could not do with the Morphee.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm not trying to argue. I didn't keep the Polybrute (mine suffered from stuck notes and a couple other issues)... but I thought that controller was one of the best bits. IMO, Far better than the X/Y/Z controller on the MoogOne
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Jim Roseberry wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:04 pm I'm not trying to argue. I didn't keep the Polybrute (mine suffered from stuck notes and a couple other issues
My first PolyBrute had a bad voice card that would just not calibrate correctly, no matter what. Luckily Arturia handled it very quickly and the second one has been solid.
... but I thought that controller was one of the best bits. IMO, Far better than the X/Y/Z controller on the MoogOne
I don't know the Moog One. For a minute I was thinking of getting one. Had the money and everything. They were still saying that Polyphonic Aftertouch support was on the way... well, they're still saying that, I have no idea what the XYZ control on it is like. Seems like a weird thing to leave out on a flagship instrument, but what do I know?

The PolyBrute's controller is very nice, and I do like that I can "park" it in a way that the Touché can't. What I like about the Touché, though, is that springy pushback that let's you do percussive stuff in a very interesting way.
Zerocrossing Media

I recently got touche but hate the lie software. Anyone know if you can make a preset in lie for a certain vst (eg diva), and then just load this preset from the device itself in the daw to use with diva without the need of loading lie?

Its just about assigning the controllers. This you can do in your DAW as well. I also think Lié is a layer too much, but to get inspiration through their presets and corresponding mappings its fine. The nice thing is the mapping remains if you switch presets on the loaded plugin…

I have the SE and it pretty much just gathers dust. As mentioned already, the software is a complete hassle. That alone could explain the dust collection. But even when everything is set up, it is more useful for controlling multiple interactive parameters on synths than it is to be used for multi-controls of sampled instruments. Unfortunately for me, I mostly am using sampled instrument libraries in our arrangements, where the nuances of how the controls on the SE interface with the parameters I want to control in natural instrumental timbres just don't line up to support things sounding realistic. At least I haven't been able to do that well enough to inspire use of what initially seemed like a great device.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”