A couple more questions about logging

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi! Once again I was looking at logs to troubleshoot an entirely separate issue, but I noticed there seems to be a lot of messages that as far as can tell are originating from U-he plugins (at least Hive and Diva).

This is with REAPER (currently at version 6.72), and with the current stable (12092) VST3 builds of the plugins. These should be the same builds I've been using for a long while (although I did recently migrate to a new Ubuntu 22.10 installation, from my old Debian testing system). I could swear there wasn't always this much logged stuff, though I suppose I could be misremembering...

First of all, I'm seeing a lot of messages along these lines when loading a plugin instance, for a variety of different parameters. The quantity of the messages seems to vary by plugin, just a few for Hive, but dozens for Diva...

Code: Select all

DANGER: makeAutomatable implicitly sets the revision of parameter Rate of module VLFO to 0 but it was 3500 before!!!. See FRAME-2049 for details.
Also when playing back I get a bunch of lines like this:

HostPlaying changed: inQuarter: 128.000000, lastQuarter 128.000000 currentQuarter 129.984000
Nothing here seems to be actually negatively impacting the functioning of the plugins, as far as I can tell, but the quantity of messages seems a little excessive for a non-debug build, which I would assume these should be...
Artist name Ben Enkindle. I make electronic music with Linux software.

Maybe for fun and country, try running reaper from a terminal, open 3 or 4 diva instances all with the same preset, and see if/how the message output varies compared to just one instance.

Then repeat and compare when using all separate presets.

Then repeat using Carla and/or Qtractor as the Diva host.

If you have wine, try the windows reaper and windows diva and look at the wine terminal output.
etc

Cheers

elcalen wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 pm I could swear there wasn't always this much logged stuff, though I suppose I could be misremembering...
Because for many years, logging on Linux didn't work in our plugins. This was fixed a while ago.
elcalen wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:27 pm but the quantity of messages seems a little excessive for a non-debug build, which I would assume these should be...
The plugins log a lot of messages at the moment they are loaded, function tests, and details we might need in case something goes wrong. This is happening so fast during loading that it doesn't have any negative impact.

After that, the plugin might log some details about things happening in the host or the plugin, but nothing excessive, and nothing that would affect performance.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Oh yeah, to be clear I didn't think these were affecting performance in any way. But whether they are excessive... well, that's much more of a subjective topic, naturally. :)

Like, writing several lines of logs (well, one line for each U-he plugin) whenever I hit play in my DAW seems... kinda unnecessary to me. Makes it harder to hunt for actual errors in those log files. I mean, I get that it would make sense for debug reasons, but this is the release version from the website, after all, and not a beta. Of course that's just my two cents...

Edit:

Oh yeah, I also noticed there's lines like these when loading a plugin instance, but the file referenced doesn't exist. All the messages I'm talking about are going into system logs.

log path:'/home/ben/Desktop/Diva.log
checking deskTopFile at: /home/ben/Desktop/Diva.log
Artist name Ben Enkindle. I make electronic music with Linux software.

When you start playback, the plugin logs it if it receives a reset command from the host.
That's quite important to know when troubleshooting issues regarding everything that should be synced to the host.

Having some logging in release versions is extremely important, because, believe it or not, release versions can have bugs too, not just betas. Without these logs, it would be much more difficult and time consuming to solve user issues.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

I am not concerned with the u-he logs on Linux although as a general practice would it be possible to toggle them when needed in the most simple way for users ? Like checking the presence of an enabling empty file at plugin startup ?

Return to “u-he Linux support”