Need 1U Rack gear. What should I get?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Roland A110
https://reverb.com/item/42332930-roland ... ntage-unit
I think this one is way overpriced and they don't really do much of anything but register midi key input. Back in the '80s I was charged with selling the two were had in stock. Got lucky when Keith Emerson came in and decided they were cool looking and bought them both, (plus putting me on the guest list at the door for their last night of that tour. {3 w/Bob Berry})

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:19 am The SX16 is the only Cheetah product I'm aware of ... it was the only "affordable" sampler back in the early 90's. Not the best sound quality, but with plenty of outputs. Mine got used as a lo-fi drum machine mainly.
I have a memory of working in a record store/studio back in the day, and after using the S1000 I just couldn't wrap my head around the Cheetah. I don't remember the sound just that it was cryptic to work with. Didn't they release a simple FM-ish synth as well or maybe I am confusing it with something else.
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Constructed Identity wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:43 am In a pre-congnative way, I have the same (future) problem-
Thinking about my setup, I imagine two 3U rack containers, one on each side of the monitor to set my speakers on top of so they are higher and therefore ear height. If I buy an audio interface with 8 ins it will be 1 rack space in addition to the Furman's 1U, so that makes one U empty!
And 3U on the other side...
...was thinking one of those old dbx compressors on the cheap (used) side or on the high-end side, a channel strip from one of those highly-respected companies...
Personally I wouldn't buy some cheap crap just to fill up the space. I'd rather wait, save up, and buy something I really like.

TC Fireworx are pretty special. The caps blow in the PSU a lot, but it's an easy fix.

DrGonzo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:38 amDidn't they release a simple FM-ish synth as well or maybe I am confusing it with something else.
They had the Cheetah MS-6, which is a kind of Oberheim Matrix-1000 clone (analog oscillators digitally controlled and same CEM 3396 sound chips), but with added multitimbral capabilities. Rare and hard to find nowadays. And also 1U rack and black.

+1 for a Korg PitchBlack Pro rackmount tuner. Flat out the best tuner I’ve ever owned (and I have owned and flipped a ridiculously large number of tuner pedals and rack units over the years). Bonus points if you connect the tuner to a spare aux send or mains out and can then instantly check the tuning of anything in your system… gamechanger when tuning samples for example. Also it’s not an expensive bit of kit and last time I looked there were always a few on eBay for v little coin at all.

The last 1U rack unit I got (partly to fill an 8U rack) was a Samson SM10 Line Mixer. It has 8 stereo line inputs with stereo effects/monitor send & returns. When my main desk ran out of inputs it turned out to be great little sub-mixer for everything in my SKB case (as well as my hi-fi and Elektron desktops). In this photo it's 3rd from the top in the case :)

tcc_studio_2022.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Get a Nord Modular G2 rack, and a black rattle can.

Sahul wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:03 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:38 amDidn't they release a simple FM-ish synth as well or maybe I am confusing it with something else.
They had the Cheetah MS-6, which is a kind of Oberheim Matrix-1000 clone (analog oscillators digitally controlled and same CEM 3396 sound chips), but with added multitimbral capabilities. Rare and hard to find nowadays. And also 1U rack and black.
Yeah, I remember - but I wasn't completely wrong to admit my confusion either. I was thinking of the Evolution Synth. Also black.

HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

MuttBart wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:50 pm +1 for a Korg PitchBlack Pro rackmount tuner. Flat out the best tuner I’ve ever owned (and I have owned and flipped a ridiculously large number of tuner pedals and rack units over the years). Bonus points if you connect the tuner to a spare aux send or mains out and can then instantly check the tuning of anything in your system… gamechanger when tuning samples for example. Also it’s not an expensive bit of kit and last time I looked there were always a few on eBay for v little coin at all.
This is actually an insanely good suggestion. I always put a tuner at the end of the audio chain, but I've learned the hard way that one tuner is often not enough.

crawlingwind wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:59 am Get a Nord Modular G2 rack, and a black rattle can.
What a coincidence. I was actually thinking of the Nord G2 this morning.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:07 am The last 1U rack unit I got (partly to fill an 8U rack) was a Samson SM10 Line Mixer. It has 8 stereo line inputs with stereo effects/monitor send & returns. When my main desk ran out of inputs it turned out to be great little sub-mixer for everything in my SKB case (as well as my hi-fi and Elektron desktops). In this photo it's 3rd from the top in the case :)

tcc_studio_2022.jpg
Another excellent suggestion. Having compact submixers in your system is incredibly useful. How does it act when overdriving the inputs?

Murphy's law may take effect...

"The moment you fill the last space in your rack brings about the unexpected acquisition of something else requiring you to need an even bigger rack."

For that reason alone, blank or vented panels are your best bet...

A 1U power distribution unit, for all those things that don't have power switches and should.

(I also have my cable modem and router plugged into mine, so I never have to crawl under the desk to reboot them :tu:)

A multi-fx unit!

I got an old ART DMV Pro which can process 4 mono channels or 2 stereo channels.
Like it more than eg Yamaha SPX-9000.
And yes, it's black. And easy to use.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”