Complete setup running on Linux??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So now you have me wondering which camp you fell into :)
Have to admit I went through a few distributions,
and a whole lot of learning Linux before I was able to get my current system stable.

That's really the key.... Those who have problems just need a bit more time and Linux experience--patience and experience is priceless. Those who don't have problems are those who paid their dues and learned enough Linux to understand how to get around on the system--these are the types that are usually able to fix their own problems. ;)

It's a journey. I am constantly learning Linux. If I go a few weeks without doing anything in Linux, I have to go back and re-learn some details. It always stays with me better after that. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Make sure you have a RT Kernel
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm Hi there,

because of multiple reasons I tend to leave Windows and move over to Linux but to be honest I have no idea what to expect from there...
I am a hobbiest so I don´t have to fight with any pressure to get something done on schedule...

I will use Bitwig and mostly native devices, have already seen some videos explaining how to get up running Windows VST and VST3 plugins via Wine and what´s needed for this...

What experience have you made using stuff which doesn´t come with native Linux versions like Omnisphere, Serum, Sylenth etc... Uhe stuff luckily comes as native Linux as well as everything from TAL
Serum I could get rid off and using Vital instead... with Sylenth it´s a bit harder though and 3 must haves I need to get running are:
Tantra 2
Shaperbox
Scaler
Anybody using these under Linux?

Would be great to get some impressions, user experiences if you don´t mind the time...

I am not really interrested in anti Linux comments as it´s the only alternative to Windows/MacOS so it needs to work as the other 2 don´t have any future for me...

Thx very much in advance! :tu:
I have been able to get both Sylenth and Scaler to work no problems using yabridge.

spaceman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:50 am Make sure you have a RT Kernel
That’s not necessary anymore. Almost all of the real time patches have been mainlined into the generic kernel. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm
That’s not necessary anymore. Almost all of the real time patches have been mainlined into the generic kernel. 🙂
Are you sure?
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Largos wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:50 pm I have been able to get both Sylenth and Scaler to work no problems using yabridge.
Thx for confirming!

For what it's worth, I have an older laptop which was sluggish as hell with Windows 10 installed.
I set up Manjaro XFCE on it, installed WINE, then installed the latest Windows version of FL Studio plus a handful of Windows VST 3 synths without a hitch.
For now I only installed either free Windows VSTis or ones that use a serial number like Helix, Dune 3, Synthmaster etc.
I would expect I might run into problems trying to install windows plugins using a plugin manager like Arturia's for example but it may very well be just as easy.
Overall this laptop feels like a different machine from when it was running WIN10.

On the other hand I also installed the Linux version of Bitwig Studio 8 track on the same machine and it was not playing nice at all. :dog:

spaceman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm
Are you sure?
Very sure! :) These days, you just put in a couple of kernel boot parameters into Grub ( /threadirqs and /preempt=full), set your realtime scheduling permissions and memlimits, and configure your pipewire.jack buffer settings, and you've got a low latency machine. If you want ever lower latency, you can add the RTIRQ startup script and a few other things, but over all, that's it. The days of needing an RT kernel are over--the boot parameters deal with it for you, since the RT patches are internal to the generic kernel nowadays. :)

lotus2035 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:31 pm For what it's worth, I have an older laptop which was sluggish as hell with Windows 10 installed.
I set up Manjaro XFCE on it, installed WINE, then installed the latest Windows version of FL Studio plus a handful of Windows VST 3 synths without a hitch.
For now I only installed either free Windows VSTis or ones that use a serial number like Helix, Dune 3, Synthmaster etc.
I would expect I might run into problems trying to install windows plugins using a plugin manager like Arturia's for example but it may very well be just as easy.
Overall this laptop feels like a different machine from when it was running WIN10.

On the other hand I also installed the Linux version of Bitwig Studio 8 track on the same machine and it was not playing nice at all. :dog:
The Bitwig Linux version you installed and struggled with, was it, by chance, packaged as a Flatpak?

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:37 pm The Bitwig Linux version you installed and struggled with, was it, by chance, packaged as a Flatpak?
Yes it's a flatpack, as far as I know that's the only version they have, I am guessing they can cause issues?
It seems weird that something specifically created for Linux runs worse than a Windows program running on Wine.

Here's the short version:

1. Flatpak hosts are meant to use Flatpak plugins (with just a few exception).

2. Most of the good plugins are not packed in Flatpak format.

3. It's better to avoid flatpak for your host/plugin tools, until the day comes that Flatpak supports most everything.

Bitwig offers 2 downloads for Linux:
- Flatpack
- Ubuntu

I decided to give Linux another go and chose Mint as my distro as it is so much like Windows. I wanted to install it onto an external USB SSD, and first tried to follow a tutorial, but gave up because I could possibly end up deleting one of my windows drives. So I ended up opening the desktop and detaching the cables from three drives before plugging in the external drive and installing MInt.

Booted it up and it worked just fine. Then the fun of installing Yabridge began. I know this is easy for you Linux guys, but for us windows people its like going back to the days of DOS,only the commands are different. Simple things like "install it to this path" are very hard for us newbies. Hours later, after reading, and re-reading the yabridge instructions, I somehow got it partly working. I still do not really understand how it works though. I installed "Invader VST3", and opened it, only to find that it will not accept its licence, and I had to force quit Reaper. And I cannot get any other VSTs to work.

Are there any repositories out there with yabridge ready to go?

Or at least a very simple tutorial on installing yabridge.

lotus2035 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:42 pmIt seems weird that something specifically created for Linux runs worse than a Windows program running on Wine.
EnergyXT, always ahead of the curve, already had this feature in 2007 :hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”