Complete setup running on Linux??

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lotus2035 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:31 pm For what it's worth, I have an older laptop which was sluggish as hell with Windows 10 installed.
I set up Manjaro XFCE on it, installed WINE, then installed the latest Windows version of FL Studio plus a handful of Windows VST 3 synths without a hitch.
For now I only installed either free Windows VSTis or ones that use a serial number like Helix, Dune 3, Synthmaster etc.
I would expect I might run into problems trying to install windows plugins using a plugin manager like Arturia's for example but it may very well be just as easy.
Overall this laptop feels like a different machine from when it was running WIN10.

On the other hand I also installed the Linux version of Bitwig Studio 8 track on the same machine and it was not playing nice at all. :dog:
After some hair pulling trying to get Wine ASIO installed on Manjaro using Terminal (not a fan) I decided to make things easier for myself, started from scratch and switched over to the newest version of AV Linux (based on MX Linux/Debian) which is configured right out of the box for audio.
It's all up and running now, all my software installed, FL Studio using Wine ASIO plus the Linux version of Bitwig runs without issues too.
I like Manjaro a lot but for what we do AV Linux is the best choice especially for beginners who don't want to get overwhelmed with audio issues via Terminal.
As well as that I also found a good sync program for Linux called Insync that works well with Microsoft OneDrive which I have used in the past to sync audio between desktop and laptop. It's a paid app though but really cheap.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:29 pm After some hair pulling trying to get Wine ASIO installed on Manjaro using Terminal (not a fan) I decided to make things easier for myself, started from scratch and switched over to the newest version of AV Linux (based on MX Linux/Debian) which is configured right out of the box for audio.
It's all up and running now, all my software installed, FL Studio using Wine ASIO plus the Linux version of Bitwig runs without issues too.
I like Manjaro a lot but for what we do AV Linux is the best choice especially for beginners who don't want to get overwhelmed with audio issues via Terminal.
As well as that I also found a good sync program for Linux called Insync that works well with Microsoft OneDrive which I have used in the past to sync audio between desktop and laptop. It's a paid app though but really cheap.
I tried AV Linux but I do not find what you are talking about...

Issues I had:

1. I have a 4k system and AV Linux starts with a scaling of 100% (1x)
I thought ok, that´s easy and set it to 1.5x which I thought was like 150% on Windows... but no... it made things smaller...
so I went the opposite direction and set it to 0.7x... now it wasn´t full screen anymore and I lost the right hand side with the nice real time readouts for CPU etc... (had a name, can´t remember)

So no easy task to get a 150% scaling on AV Linux...

2. the only thing I found was Qjackd (or similar...) but FL Studio installed via Wine didn´t see it and gave me just PulseAudio with high latencies...
How do I find settings for Wine ASIO and most important this whole kx Studio stuff like Cadence
Cadence.jpg
How do I get this stuff up and running???
Not to speak from Yabridge...

3. How do I uninstall stuff on Linux??

4. AV Linux asks every 2 seconds for entering the password... even if I just want to open a folder via Thunar from my Windows disks with just some files on...
Is there a way to make it less paranoid??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm
I will use Bitwig and mostly native devices, have already seen some videos explaining how to get up running Windows VST and VST3 plugins via Wine and what´s needed for this...
Over on the Bitwig Discord, there is a Linux Channel... I never read it, but it is active daily. Might be useful for you.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:57 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:34 pm
I will use Bitwig and mostly native devices, have already seen some videos explaining how to get up running Windows VST and VST3 plugins via Wine and what´s needed for this...
Over on the Bitwig Discord, there is a Linux Channel... I never read it, but it is active daily. Might be useful for you.
Thx... even if I have no clue about Discord... I am coming from another century... 8)

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:35 pm
spaceman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 pm
audiojunkie wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:46 pm
spaceman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:50 am Make sure you have a RT Kernel
That’s not necessary anymore. Almost all of the real time patches have been mainlined into the generic kernel. 🙂
Are you sure?
Very sure! :) These days, you just put in a couple of kernel boot parameters into Grub ( /threadirqs and /preempt=full), set your realtime scheduling permissions and memlimits, and configure your pipewire.jack buffer settings, and you've got a low latency machine. If you want ever lower latency, you can add the RTIRQ startup script and a few other things, but over all, that's it. The days of needing an RT kernel are over--the boot parameters deal with it for you, since the RT patches are internal to the generic kernel nowadays. :)
Excellent. I didn't know that.
It's easy to install an RT kernel so I never looked further :)
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Trancit do a search for 'Wine Audio Utils' on your start menu and this box should come up, double click on 'Run WineASIO 64bit' and restart your system and check again if the driver is available in FL Studio. As for the problem with your password it might have something to do with the root password which is different from your user password, I usually have the same password for both, depends on how you had it set up from the start.
You have AV Linux installed on a machine right now? Is it the latest version?
The newer version is based on an entirely different backend. I remember the older version was more of a headache as regards installation and setting up passwords etc. This latest version from last month was a breeze to install compared to when I did it a couple of years back.
I don't have enough experience with Linux to help with the other issues you addressed sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lotus2035 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:27 pm Trancit do a search for 'Wine Audio Utils' on your start menu and this box should come up, double click on 'Run WineASIO 64bit' and restart your system and check again if the driver is available in FL Studio. As for the problem with your password it might have something to do with the root password which is different from your user password, I usually have the same password for both, depends on how you had it set up from the start.
You have AV Linux installed on a machine right now? Is it the latest version?
The newer version is based on an entirely different backend. I remember the older version was more of a headache as regards installation and setting up passwords etc. This latest version from last month was a breeze to install compared to when I did it a couple of years back.
I don't have enough experience with Linux to help with the other issues you addressed sorry.
Thx for the hint! :tu:
I was experimenting with the version from december 22...
I always get Linux to work... now I even resolved the scaling issue but on the other I couldn´t get now my Midi keyboard to work...

I must somewhere find something how the kx studio/cadence thingie works and how to get it installed and working...

On AV Linux from mid summer 22 to run some Windows applications using ASIO. I have to first run WINE ASIO then start qjackctl. Use Setup to set your device, buffer and for MIDI driver select seq.
To view connections in Candace use Graph where you can wire audio and MIDI connections. All in all I don't use that much with the exception of Synthedit and Extreme Sample Converter. I use REAPER as my host so it is native.

In REAPER I select ALSA and all my usb audio and MIDI devices just show up to be selected.

FrettedSynth wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:29 am ... Use Setup to set your device, buffer and for MIDI driver select seq.
I did and Bitwig native said: Cannot connect to Midi device... device busy!

Never worked with Bitwig, I'm guessing you have it setup to use jack. Does it offer ALSA for the audio setup. Like I mentioned above in reaper when I use ALSA instead of jack all my devices audio and MIDI show by name to be selected.

I use to make some parts of my live gigs in bitwig with a laptop and an APC40 in my car during lunch time at work. :D

I just tried Bitwig on linux Mint, then Reaper, and finally Waveform Free. Of the three, I am enjoying Waveform, much to my surprise. It seems quite stable now. Audio latency in Linux is great, and no drivers were needed with my audio interface. Setting up Yabridge is not easy, at least not for beginners, and the whole process has made me ask what the point of trying to run VSTs in Linux is. Maybe best to just stick with what Linux has to offer.

currently using Bitwig on ArchLabs(ArchLinux based OS) and it runs well.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

I've only just given this ago. I'm quite impressed how well things actually work. Serum, Pigments (and Arturia Software Centre) run fine with yabridge and Reaper (Linux Reaper). ShaperBox and FilterShaperXL _nearly_ run fine -- audio runs fine, the UI receives click events fine, but doesn't update for some reason, so you can't see what you're doing. At some point I'll try ANA2 and Spire but I have enough toys to play with for now (I have most Uhe synths, which have Linux native ports, for which they get great kudos). I've also just gone through the process of using Cadence to get Jack running and Pulseaudio routed via Jack. That works great, then MIDI is successfully routed to rtmidi apps (I like playing with Python-rtmidi.)

While I imagine it is too much to ask many developers for native Linux ports, cool as they are, but ensuring plugins are wine-friendly would be a more achievable goal.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”