Best Midi / Keyboard Controllers for Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got an akai mpk Mini Plus yesterday. At first it wouldn't work with anything when first plugged in. But I soon realised I had several instances of Tone2's NanoHost open, so once I closed that and restarted MuLab, I got the everything working, including the transport controls via MuLab's shortcuts panel.

Jo, personally, I would prefer separate play and stop shortcuts if possible please. Not a biggy, but reduces wear and tear on single buttons. As many hardware controllers have both a play and a stop button, it would be better to have shortcuts for each. PC keyboards are easily available and cheap to buy, they are likely far more durable than music hardware buttons too, so I understand the reason for combining them.

Also, could we have a shortcut for Home, so we can send playhead to start of composition please. Thanks

sl23 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 am I got an akai mpk Mini Plus yesterday.
Cool! I found many people are happy with this controller, would you share your opinion?

So far I'm more than happy with it. The keys are far better than I expected and are superior to my previous experience with mini keys from the MiniNova.

Buttons are a little tacky, but work well. Rubber buttons would have improved things I think. But perhaps these click ones are more durable than rubber ones?

I already own an Akai Live 2, so the MPC pads on the Mini Plus are a great bonus. Tbh I wish there were 16, but the units size is just right for me. They work just the same despite the reduction in size.

I really don't like the quality of the knobs though! They're very wobbly and that makes them feel really cheap!

Functionally, I haven't tried much yet. Quick arp test to check it works is about all I've done. Not sure that I'll use the sequencer when I have a daw for that :)

As I said, set up was a bit iffy at first, but after figuring out the problem was too many apps open on installing akai software, since then it's worked perfectly.

So overall, I'm glad I bought this thing :D

sl23 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 am I would prefer separate play and stop shortcuts if possible please.
I understand and have taken note.
Also, could we have a shortcut for Home, so we can send playhead to start of composition please.
Already there, map your (MIDI) shortcut to "Goto Composition Start".

sl23 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:03 pm I already own an Akai Live 2
So, by combining this two devices you've got the functionality of MPC Keys with only half of the desk space required. Smart move!

Thanks Jo, appreciate that :tu:

Robert: lol yeah you could say that! Though I have to admit, I'm finding hardware more and more cumbersome to use! Partly due to its ongoing growing complexity and the fact computers have bigger screens and better interfaces.

robert_p wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:42 am
Problem are not the midi gears. Problem Mulab don't understand all midi commandes because there are not implanted. Exemple: Mulab send sync, but can't recieve sync, no management of program change , but you can use mdi vst for some use. No sysex in mulab etc. But most CC can be used with fader or rotary when avaible.

Braserox wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:09 pm no management of program change
True, I'd like to see prog. change as well (it's available in the list editor but it's very inconvenient). I use 3rd party PizMIDI converter (cc to prog.change).

I'm using Piz Miditools too for missing midi options. But for futur clap and Vst3 release of mulab, i dont see replacement.

Braserox wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:53 am I'm using Piz Miditools too for missing midi options.
Which options are missing?

mutools wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:52 am Which options are missing?
  • MIDI CC, Pitchbend and Aftertouch Filter
  • Program Change and Aftertouch Generators
  • CC to Note Converter, Note to CC Converter, CC to Prog. Change Converter etc.
  • Note Velocity Curve/Scaler
  • MIDI Polyphony with High/Mid/Low Note Priority

After considering the concept of attempting to assign/program my MPC studio2, I thought I should take a look and see if anything keyboard equivalent has appeared on the market, how about this?!
https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Perso ... ms&sr=1-26

Let alone is it gorgeous, youtube reviews say the keys are among the best they've tried. Better then the Akai, and better then the last version of this same keyboard. It has transport controls, that the Akai 25's apparently dont have. Illuminated pads, sliders with lights, and "ROLLERS". The only keyboard that has invented the "ROLLER" knob, in place of an upright twisting knob. Which sounds good for fine tuning, like swing, or tempo. Where sometimes twisting keeps jumping past the number I'm trying to get. It comes with a braided USB C, AND a separate midi out. And the price... The company also seems quirkily interesting. Located on Salisbury road, in Hong Kong. :) Their homepage looks like fun diverse people, compared to the Akai homepage that looks like MS13. And you may or may not get a free lesson.

Well... Its either gonna be a superb buy, or a complete donkey! Me, I hate touch strips for pitch and mod! Shouldn't be allowed! Rollers seems a good idea, if they've been implemented properly. But if you get used to rollers, you'll never wanna go bk... Lol
All black keys? Nah, not for me. But if it suits you and it's what you need, go for it 😁

The touch strip is probably more suited for the "plinker' keyboardist. A real key player probably wants the traditional spring bender. But then you would probably want full sized keys, and probably a 32 key at the smallest. I'm moving up from the Korg Micro, with buttons for keys. Which I adored just fine, this Donner is more keys that I'm capable of. One cool thing that the strips can do, that the traditional spring rocker probably doesn't do, is you can tap on it. You can tap it at the top, and tap it at the bottom, and stroke it around. Which makes a pleasing noise within my skill level.

"All black keys? Nah, not for me."
Its gloss and matte Black on Black.
Like the last V8. ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”