Best Midi / Keyboard Controllers for Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All, I finally got around to getting a new controller - I wanted 88 keys with integrated knobs/sliders/transport/pads, so I got the Arturia Keylab Essential 88.

Between Mulab's mapping capabilities for midi controls both for parameters and shortcuts, plus Arturia's midi controller software, I've been able to unlock a pretty healthy set of functionality, and even some extra bonus items I wasn't counting on. For example, I've got the selector knob on the Keylab set-up to forward or reverse through the bars. Also, Arturia's Lab V that came with has some pretty sweet sounds as an added bonus, and it works well with MuLab.

This controller + VST3, and MuLab is pretty powerful- I'm pretty happy with the outcome!

All my transport buttons are working off Midi CC except for Tap (to set Tempo) which Mulab doesn't have. Speaking of which, Tempo is an area where MuLab could use some improvement, so add my vote on that feature set (Tap to set Tempo, more intuitive tempo / time signature control (parameter?), etc.)

I can also think of a few more shortcuts that would specifically help with keyboarding workflow (example, Set Loop Start and Loop End assignment on the Controller).

Question: Is there any way to share my set-up in case someone else wants to duplicate? There are a few tricks to make it work, such as the Arturia provides two cc's - one when buttons are pressed, another when release, value filtering needs to be set in the shortcut. It would be valid for the less expensive 49 and 61 versions of this controller and would save someone some time.

If you've changed the Keylab set up, you'd need the SysEx dump ("Export settings" or something similar in the set up software, maybe...). For MuLab, if you set up MIDI shortcuts, these will be in Shortcuts.Xml, looking like

Code: Select all

<Shortcut>
      <Midi>Controller,Chan 1,42</Midi>
      <Function1>Change Value 1</Function1>
    </Shortcut>
If you just set up MIDI mappings for a particular project, they'll be in that project file.

I use an Alesis Q49 MK2 keyboard. I'd like to use the record button on it to punch in and out but it doesnt seem to work. If anyone knows how to map the play/record buttons I'd appreciate that info. Thanks.
Aka Midland Synthetics

FSM77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:19 pm I use an Alesis Q49 MK2 keyboard. I'd like to use the record button on it to punch in and out but it doesnt seem to work. If anyone knows how to map the play/record buttons I'd appreciate that info. Thanks.
Open the MULAB/Shortcuts/Start Stop Recording popup, then press the record button.
Its midi cc will appear in the Shortcut window.
If you find that you need to hold down the Record button, your keyboard should have a switch to change that preference.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Thanks, Michael, I'll try that.
Aka Midland Synthetics

Return to “MUTOOLS”