Best Midi / Keyboard Controllers for Mulab

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a long time MuTools user (since when it was Luna), I've been using an old 49 Mark-149 Evolution Midi keyboard controller, and it's pretty basic - keys plus pitch-bend & mod wheels with additional keys to set midi channel, octave, velocity curve etc.

Action was never great, and some of the keys are starting to really show their age.

As such, I'm planning on getting a newer 61 or 88 key midi controller (+sustain pedal), and now I see all these fun options with drum pads, controllable knobs, sliders, transport controls, etc. that purport to connect to your DAW, virtual effects, and instruments.

Some seem to be specifically designed to connect to various more mainstream DAWs, but none for MuTools, unfortunately.

I'd be interested in hearing what keyboard style midi controllers people have been using successfully with MuTools, and what their experience has been with set-up, and then maintaining that mapping with the regular MuTools upgrades..

Trying to figure out which features are worth pay extra $ for considering I plan to stick with Mutools, which brands / models will last for years, etc.

Other notes: Running on a PC with a focusrite scarlet interface and have a smattering of different effects and instruments in addition to built in function, including many free VSTs, but also Izotope and recently picked up the IK Total Studio 3.5max. I also like to compose my own drum patterns vs. using off-the-shelf beat sequences.

Your thoughts?
-oldguy

P.S. Any videos or in-depth set-up instructions for midi controllers other than the "Using Midi Controllers" in the docs?

Closely observe how you work, and keep it simple.
Because MuLab is modular, I suggest:
- a simple keyboard controller with transport controls
- a controller with good faders you can label for each project
- a big knob or trackpad for your left hand that changes focus with the mouse in your right
- something like Metagrid to trigger a sequence of key commands
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

I had several "all in one" keyboard MIDI Controllers - the last one was an Akai MPK249 but I wasn't happy with the velocity response, so I went for separates:

- Roland A-49 Keys (inexpensive, good velocity response)
- Korg padKontrol for drums (discontinued but still the best)
- Korg microKontrol (sliders, knobs and micro keys - discontinued)

If you'd like to have "NI Komplete Kontrol" quality keybed for the lower price you can try the Studiologic SL73 studio (73 keys, no knobs, no sliders) and something like Korg nanoKontrol to add knobs and sliders to your setup.

PS. I still use my NI Kore 2 (MIDI knobs and buttons) :D

I'm planning on getting the new akai mini plus next week. Anyone here using it at all? Just wondered how it faired with MuLab.

sl23 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:35 pm I'm planning on getting the new akai mini plus next week. Anyone here using it at all? Just wondered how it faired with MuLab.
Looks good to me, I'd buy it too:))

I thought so too, just need something small but feature packed! :)

I considered arturia's key step mini but don't like the touch strips for pitch bend!

sl23 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:12 pm I considered arturia's key step mini but don't like the touch strips for pitch bend!
Touch strips sucks! :D

That's what I thought too! :D

oldguy wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:02 am
(...) and now I see all these fun options with drum pads, controllable knobs, sliders, transport controls, etc. that purport to connect to your DAW, virtual effects, and instruments.

Some seem to be specifically designed to connect to various more mainstream DAWs, but none for MuTools, unfortunately.

I'd be interested in hearing what keyboard style midi controllers people have been using successfully with MuTools, and what their experience has been with set-up, and then maintaining that mapping with the regular MuTools upgrades..
Most of the keyboard (and no-keyboard) MIDI controllers allows you to create a custom CC/note mapping for its sliders, knobs, buttons and pads. It is very easy to use any mapping (pre-configured or custom) with MuLab - you just right-click the MuLabs parameter knob you'd like to control and move any knob/slider on your MIDI controller to assign it (MuLab's "MIDI listen" option is enabled by default).
MIDI mapping.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks, Robert P.

Anyone had any luck with either transport controls (set-up) or motorized faders?

-OG

oldguy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:47 am Thanks, Robert P.

Anyone had any luck with either transport controls (set-up) or motorized faders?

-OG
I'm not sure if MuLab supports MMC (Midi Machine Control) protocol to control transport - maybe Joe can answer that question. I use MuLab plugin with other DAW and I work with motorized faders (this requires bi-directional communication and I don't know how it works with MuLab app).

MuLab does not support MMC.
But it does support mapping MIDI CC to Start/Stop/Record/...

I used to have a novation impulse which worked with transport controls.

If I remember right, you set the button to 127 for both minimum and maximum for play button, and set 0 for both for stop button.

Was about 8 years ago when I set that up, so no idea if it's same now. I'll let you know when I get my shiny new Mini Plus! :D

I use Nektar Panorama T6 , Fantom 07, Arturia Keystep, Keystep 37. Best is relativ , depend what you want to do.

Braserox wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:05 pm Best is relativ , depend what you want to do.
True, but this doesn't answer the Autor's question: "what keyboard style midi controllers people have been using successfully with MuTools, and what their experience has been with set-up, and then maintaining that mapping with the regular MuTools upgrades.." ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”