Should I buy a DAW or use AI to make my music?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ghettosynth wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:53 am Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcvDjy3fvs

10:09 - Ice-cream Love
10:49 - Beaches
11:29 - My Pink Panther T-shirt
Zzzzzz. f**king hippy nerds.

NEW TREND:
Artificial Sillyness
AS

Some people already using AI, especially for basic melodies, it is called Random Patern Generators. I wouldn't even go as far as generate my velocities at random. Everything by hand. But I guess, some people just love shortcuts. Like in everything.
please Like, Comment and Subscribe!

I like AI. When it turns out bad. not my fault. :shrug:
When it turns out great ... :party:

rj0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:46 am I like AI. When it turns out bad.
we get terminators.

:hihi:
vurt wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:58 pm
rj0 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:46 am I like AI. When it turns out bad.
we get terminators.
Then the music is the least of our worries. :shrug: :hihi:

Does anyone have links to forums that discus AI and music?

I would say this depends on what the audio is being used for.

Ethics of AI trained with copyrighted music aside, you'd be depriving yourself of the joy that comes from the creative process, which in my opinion is the best part. It's the whole "journey not the destination" thing. AI is fun to play around with- I've done some generative image AI stuff to create landscapes for my D&D campaign, because I have zero talent when it comes to visual art. But the creative process of producing music yourself is so incredibly rewarding, and you'd be missing out entirely if you skip that and take the easy route.

Personally, I don't see the point! It's like when sonny draws that picture in iRobot, is it art if a machine does it to perfection? Where's the emotion behind it? If you wanna make music, then make music! I personally won't even use anything prefab, not even loops. Yeah, my music is shit compared to most of the people here, but it's about getting enjoyment out of it, not being lazy and getting a program to do it for you!

DAW : Yes
AI : No

Is it really your creation if you use AI? Best thing about making music is experiencing, learning, feeling, tweaking, twisting knobs etc. At best it's like sitting in a cockpit of a spaceship with all the blinking lights and meters.

Is it really your creation if you use a sequencer or an arpeggiator and don't play it all live? A lot of musicians would say it's not. If you look at Queen - on their early albums they proudly proclaimed "no keyboards used on this album". Later, that changed to "no synthesizers" and then, a few albums later, their albums were almost overrun with synth parts. Attitudes will change over time, as what is now new and novel becomes mainstream and boring.

The other aspect is who cares if it's my creation or not, as long as it's good and I am happy with the result? I got ChatGPT to write the lyrics for one of the songs on our new album and I got another AI to do the vocal performance. When we perform it live, I let the AI do the vocals and make sure everyone knows it's not me singing. So what? It's a lot more us than any of the covers we do. In fact, it is our favourite song on the album and we love doing it live. In case you haven't heard it, it's this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4lvrl ... aG91c2U%3D
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:32 am Is it really your creation if you use a sequencer or an arpeggiator and don't play it all live? A lot of musicians would say it's not. If you look at Queen - on their early albums they proudly proclaimed "no keyboards used on this album". Later, that changed to "no synthesizers" and then, a few albums later, their albums were almost overrun with synth parts. Attitudes will change over time, as what is now new and novel becomes mainstream and boring.
im not a queen fan, but i did see an interview where this was brought up with brian may.
he said, it wasnt anything to do with being anti synth, or anti synth rock! or usage of any kind, it was because he used a lot of fx on his guitar, and wanted people to know, any synth like amazingness, was him on guitar.

Up 'imself or what?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pre 1990: million $ studios, class and talent
1990 - 2000: you and your 4 track in your bedroom, extraordinary creativity
2000 - 2010: laptop DJs, cracked vst and tutti-fruity loops. Everyone and their f**ing grandmother is a muuzzzik producer
2010 - 2020: ghost producers and marshmello
2020 - no talent, no creativity, no aspirations, no imagination, no ghost producers and what happened to marshmello. I vote for AI, but be sure to buy every single new plugin every week regardless

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”