the most authentic sounding filter plugin?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

what vst sounds the best for filters and gets the most real to hardware sound? there's loads of different sounding hardware filters out there which are different depending on the synth, people often buy a synth because of the filter. they can range completely from "buttery smooth" to "screamy" and "acid" what vst plugins really nail the sound of an analogue filter the best for each different style? i'm looking to buy some filter plugins and trying to see the best options.

Used to be One Ping Only but I don't think it's available in 64bit or for Apple Silicon. :D

J/k - On a more practical note, Andrew Simper kind of "wrote the book" on audio circuit modelling so if you are looking for a dedicated filter you will probably not go too wrong with Cytomic The Drop.

You said yourself that you like some particular models of filters and it might not contain them.

While there are many analog designs there isn't infinitely many. You will do yourself good if you learn which ones are in the synths you really like, and then Google to see if someone did circuit modeled plugins of them.

Unscientifically but based on some real hardware comparisons by ear, the at least 3 of the 4 Arturia stand-alone filter plugins in FX bundle 3 sound great to me. The characteristic sound associated with each certainly comes across. I have SEM, Mini and MS20 style modular filters in hardware , I don’t have a Matrix 12 style filter here though to compare. The filters have enhanced capabilities which I welcome.

synthhelp wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:19 am what vst sounds the best for filters and gets the most real to hardware sound? there's loads of different sounding hardware filters out there which are different depending on the synth, people often buy a synth because of the filter. they can range completely from "buttery smooth" to "screamy" and "acid" what vst plugins really nail the sound of an analogue filter the best for each different style? i'm looking to buy some filter plugins and trying to see the best options.

synthhelp wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:19 am people often buy a synth because of the filter. [...] i'm looking to buy some filter plugins and trying to see the best options.
And VST land is the same as the real world.

A filter plugin is only helpful when you have a 'modular' kind of DAW/setup. I mean, it needs an envelope generator or another modulation signal in order to do something interesting to the sound. It works best when it's inside (or in direct connection with) the synth.

So better answer another question: what VST synth has "the best" filter?
Which quickly diverges into what the best synth VST is...
... which is totally subjective, personal preference and such. Can of worms :shrug:
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Pulsar Modular’s Siren has become my go to ITB filter. It’s spendy but totally worth it to me.

gearwatcher wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:06 pm Used to be One Ping Only but I don't think it's available in 64bit or for Apple Silicon. :D
Sorry, that's not true.
One Ping Only comes with an exceptional sub filter and it's usable on MacOS Ventura Silicon via the infamous Rosetten Injection (German: Zäpfchen).
What shall I tell you: It's smooth as butter in the sun!

martinjuenke wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:51 pm Rosetten Injection (German: Zäpfchen).
very big cinema :clap:

The Drop is the gold standard to me.

Other characterful filters are Arturia's MS-20 Filter, Moog's own MF-101S Lowpass Filter VST and Ableton Auto-Filter (based on the Drop).
Last edited by jules99 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

+1
The Drop
Gold standard in filters, audio rate modulateable via side chain and nice saturation too
Amazon: why not use an alternative

What do you mean when you say a filter that sounds ‘authentic’? Authentic means not a copy of. I really don’t get your question 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

the drop + flowerchild filter. and the arturia ms 20.
only those 3 give me goosebumps.
🇷🇺

Cytomic The Drop....... the filters have amazing drive, from extreme to quite subtle.

A filter is a glorified eq. I don’t get the OP question 🤷‍♂️
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

An EQ is a glorified filter is more like it.

ramseysounds wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:36 pm A filter is a glorified eq. I don’t get the OP question 🤷‍♂️
You're either deliberately obtuse or stupid, then :shrug:

As to the actual question, Arturia MS20 is very good IMO. I actually still quite like the original Korg Legacy MS20 too - it doesn't have the raucousness/unpredictability of the real thing but it has good character and you can use the plugin as an effect rather than synth. Not mentioned yet is impOSCar - can also be used as an effect. It isn't self-oscillating but it can be very musical and lush sounding, especially with the drive on and you also get the benefit of a superb synth attached to it :hihi: .

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”