RELATED
PRODUCTS

Topic response summary so far...

8 in favour
7 against

Suggestions - simple/basic
'basic'
'relatively simple'
'simple, 32 steps, 8-16 tracks, 12-24 patterns' (this is simple? : )
'streamlined'
'tr-style'
... of these, only two actually described the kind of sequencer they want, kinda (the not so simple one, and tr-style)

Suggetions - complex/deep (as references)
'Atlas'
'Drum Computer'
'Geist'
'Tattoo'
... which have a little more meat on the bone, being direct comparisons to existing products.
As EV noted above, it is a non-trivial piece of work, and TAL (afaik) is a one-man dev team with a growing catalogue to maintain
Well, at least we're all on the same page so the dev will know what to focus on (should he ever seriously consider it). :P
But anyway, this is kinda the point [...] put 50 KVR'ers in a room, and you'll get 50 definitions of what a drum sequencer should provide. If one is ever added, 49 of the 50 will probably not get what they want. So I'm trying to find out if there is any common ground between the folks that want one and perhaps we can find a happy middle ground
So, what features could/should an unlikely-to-be-developed drum sequencer include... ?

Number of pad slots available in the sequencer (8, 16, 32, all 64) ?
Simple hit sequencing, perhaps with per-step accents (tr-style) ?
Pattern length ?
Multiple patterns ?
Pattern chaining ?
Songs ?
Velocity/pan/pitch/filter/etc. per-step modulation ?
Randomisation (per pad slot/lane, per modulation dest..) ?
Polymeters ?
Euclidean beat generator ?
<insert_favourite_feature> ?
<insert_fantasy_neverbeforeseen_beat_feature> ?

Personally, these are the things I'm looking for...

Velocity per pad per step
Probability per pad per step
Gate length per pad per step
Some sort of CC per pad per step
Ratchet/repeat per pad per step, ideally with control over distribution of ratchet beats in time and velocity, plus the ability to spread for example 3 ratchet beats across 2x 1/16 measures (perhaps linked with gate length?)
MIDI out, of course
Read the pad names from the VST it's playing (including other VSTs if possible)

Nice to have features...

Some way of grouping beats for probability functions
Some way of having A/B probability where the instrument/note played depends on the probability
Possibly programming one pad so it triggers another pad, but with a mini-pattern

Nothing seems to have everything, but I'm looking hard at Ableton 12 now.

A step sequencer in TAL-Drum and it would be a game changer

Jips wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:21 pm A step sequencer in TAL-Drum and it would be a game changer
Agreed on this.

Microtonic style would be good enough for me.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:41 pm Microtonic style would be good enough for me.
100%

liquidsound wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:41 pm Microtonic style would be good enough for me.
Yeah I would be happy with that also.

Return to “TAL Software”