Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:45 pm @SHall1000,

Have you looked at Ladik for modules? Id look there if your after affordable modules, your
using a lot of hp for the behringer stuff. Ladik
stuff is quite affordable. :shrug:
+1 :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Thanks, Ladik does look interesting.
I’m trying to add one module at a time as I identify a “need” but it might be better to have a longer term plan in mind given the limited space. Thinking the QARV might have been overkill but it does have mixing, 4 VCAs and 4 Envelopes in the space.
Very pleased with the Behringers. Well made, ergonomically nice to work with and so cheap!!!!

My current plan looks like this (but changes daily)

Thoughts welcome.
Last edited by SHall1000 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Actually, i would go for a Behringer Go case.
It will alleviate any HP anxieties and give 280 HP of peace and quiet.
Your current (small) rack with 16 hp Behringers isn t doing you any favors.

When I got my Go rack I was like: Ok, this is what i am talking about 8) .
Even with my 6U rackbrute, i was already throwing stuff out, and an added row wasn t going to cut it either.
Now I feel like i have enough critical mass assembled in one rack.

You could go for smaller modules but dependent on the use case that will highten the cost as well. E.g. the After Later clones are smaller but will come at a higher price. And I fear you will still end up in the same place : always looking for rack space.
With a Behringer Go case (which is very good value for money), you can keep going the Behringer route with often bigger modules.

That being said I have a few pico modules in my case. They are small AND often also good value for money. Although the knobs are small, they have good handling and work well from a performance view e.g. for playing with the cutoff of a filter. I would never do this with the small knobs of the Behringer 121 for example which are awful in comparison.

Ladik and Tesseract have very nice value for money imo. IO instruments is another company I stumbled upon recently who have nice modules which are very good value for money.
Last edited by Stefken on Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I’d also mention Rides in the Storm, they do some really good utility modules which are pretty cheap.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/v ... %20DEALERS.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I’ve been eyeing the Go case as a likely move at some point. Need to find the desk space for it and the 2600.
Although if I fill the Go case appropriately I could possibly let the 2600 go.

SHall1000 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:31 pm I’ve been eyeing the Go case as a likely move at some point. Need to find the desk space for it and the 2600.
Although if I fill the Go case appropriately I could possibly let the 2600 go.
I also started with a semi-modular but as i progressed i started to build my modular as a self contained unit. For me it makes more sense. The Go case will give you many years to fill it up and personally i don t feel the need for a second case.

There is tons of stuff that you need for modular. As you start off, it never seems to end, but i think you can put enough stuff in a Go case to have all your needs covered.

And if you really want to hold on to to some aspect of the 2600 (specific sound of oscillator, filter? ) you can get a few of the separate 2600 Behringer modules.

a lot of cases can be a pain, i have 7 and the
parts for 2 more. Thats a lot of psu's. heh
Im waiting for Cioks to make a eurorack psu
since im not smart enough to figure out how
to adapt one, since they can do 12v. :lol:

Stefken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:52 pm if you really want to hold on to to some aspect of the 2600 (specific sound of oscillator, filter? ) you can get a few of the separate 2600 Behringer modules.
The only 2600 eurorack module Behringer does is a single VCO as far as I know, they do 2500 series cloned modules but I imagine they’re different from the 2600

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:00 pm
Stefken wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:52 pm if you really want to hold on to to some aspect of the 2600 (specific sound of oscillator, filter? ) you can get a few of the separate 2600 Behringer modules.
The only 2600 eurorack module Behringer does is a single VCO as far as I know, they do 2500 series cloned modules but I imagine they’re different from the 2600
Correct. I think that it's a mistake to think about the 2600 in this way. A big part of the value of the 2600 is its semi-modular nature. The filter and the ring mod might contribute in some specific way to the sound, but, they're really not that interesting by themselves.

While I think that the GO cases represent great value, every day I realize that going with rack cases was the best decision that I could have made. It's not cheaper or less work though, so if you aren't handy, something like a GO case is probably the better way to ... wait for it ... go.

Every time I want to play on the modular I have to lift two fully loaded Go cases onto my desk and then lift them off when I’m done.

It’s probably the only exercise I get most weeks.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 am Every time I want to play on the modular I have to lift two fully loaded Go cases onto my desk and then lift them off when I’m done.

Ugh, could not do that. Can't you just get rid of the dining table and put your modular there?

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:51 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:04 am Every time I want to play on the modular I have to lift two fully loaded Go cases onto my desk and then lift them off when I’m done.

Ugh, could not do that. Can't you just get rid of the dining table and put your modular there?
If I was middle class enough to have one I would. :)

I come from a tray on your lap household.

It’s a small house and all other space is used.

Are you safe?

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:46 am I think that it's a mistake to think about the 2600 in this way. A big part of the value of the 2600 is its semi-modular nature. The filter and the ring mod might contribute in some specific way to the sound, but, they're really not that interesting by themselves.
I agree. I think the 2500 modules/sound are more interesting, but i opted out of the 1047 too as i already have plenty of characterful filters. It would not bring anything new to the table.

I acquired the SEM A-105-6 filter together with the Go case and quite pleased with that one. :wink:

Am i a filterfreak? Yes!

This is a very interesting filterbank that you can sequence. You can choose between different filters: bandpass, allpass and karplus strong implementation. It has interesting hidden features like a clock divider, chord and formant presets, freeze a filter, manually manipulate the sequence, slew options.

I have 4 separate filters that can do bandpass, so i ll give this approach manually a go with my sequencer but this is of course a very nice module that routes the whole thing internally with stereo panning and presets for easy recall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7C3ywZseEU

4 ms has their spectral multiband resonator which is somewhat similar but i m liking the RYK approach better.
Last edited by Stefken on Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Any comment on filterbanks would be appreciated.
Some have fixed frequencies with dynamic control over the level, others (also) have dynamic control over the frequency.
Some have feedback routes incorporated which also seems an interesting way to manipulate your sound.
Lots of interesting options here so i m interested to hear some thoughts about it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”