Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are you using to provide note/gate data, something like a Keystep Pro?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I have a keystep Pro but at the moment I am using a Korg SQ64. Keeps everything compact and with the B2600 mounted vertically in a rack it all fits nicely on a small desktop.

Ah ok that figures. I have had an SQ64 for ages, but the key combos just don’t stick in my head which is annoying because there’s almost feck all legible on the buttons.

Are you safe?

Yes it can be frustrating, especially if I’ve not used it for a while and have to relearn its quirks. However it does pack an enormous lot of power into a very small box. I’ve just remembered I’ve not checked if there have been any firmware updates recently.
I like the sequence fill function which is not truly random but I’ve not been able to work out exactly what it’s doing but it can produce some good variations on a sequence.

Yeah it’s pretty good for that. As I’ve now got a decent hardware sequencer sitting in my rack, the Performer for notes, I don’t use the SQ64 enough to top up the muscle memory, but I’d use it for drum pattern sequencing if not for the Elektron. I can use my Mutant Brain’s 8 cv gate/trigger outs to send Elektron MIDI track notes on channels 1 thru 8 as separate triggers into drums on my rack. Does make me stop sometimes to smell the roses and realise when I’ve totally overcomplicated a setup as I’ve found myself sending MIDI from the Elektron to my DAW to the Mutant Brain to make CV to send to my Bitbox to play a fricking drum sample and I go… hold on, I could just load that sample onto the bloody Elektron amd play it there!

Are you safe?

SHall1000 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:59 am Thinking maybe a Happy Nerding 3x MIA for more subtly control and a Disting Mk4 just because it’s max bang for buck in 4hp.
In the same category of bang for buck and utility based is the QAM from Rides in the storm.
It s an active mult for cv and audio giving you 4 X 3 copies of signals or 2 X 6 copies on only 4HP.
It s cheap yet well build.
It has already served me well.

The use case of 6 copies may sound out there but I could already use it for sending 5 copies to multiple bandpassfilters. And if you don t have a use case for that; having 4 X 3 copies is also pretty comprehensive.
Somebody mentioned splitter cables but I preferred this solution. It s more robust imo. (And imagine generating 6 copies with splitter cables; what a mess ).

(The packaging was thrash but who cares about that. I guess they save on the packaging to keep the cost down and that s fine by me. )

Stefken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 amAnd imagine generating 6 copies with splitter cables; what a mess )
fwiw, not necessarily...

or even
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:01 am
Stefken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:28 amAnd imagine generating 6 copies with splitter cables; what a mess )
fwiw, not necessarily...

or even
I see.

People report that splitters and stackcables put strain on the apertures (the holes you put your cables in :wink: ). I can imagine that being the case.

I have one of those stereo star headphone splitters. Not sure why. Probably for syncing some Korg Volcas at some point. Does it matter if they are stereo or mono?

Stereo ones seem to work just as well with mono patch cables, but YMMV.

Stefken wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 am People report that splitters and stackcables put strain on the apertures (the holes you put your cables in :wink: ). I can imagine that being the case.
Not if their weight is properly supported. Run longer cables and rest them on the desk, use velcro cable-ties to bundle with other cables, distributing the 'load', use some of those cable clips or hangers (AI and ADDAC do them for example) that affix to your module's screws, or glue on neodynium magnets and support them from your racking or its bolts, or just nail them in place(*).

Plus, they're like tens of grams maximum.

(* Okay, I lied about the last one.)

I wouldn't stack cables more than two high, but also you never need to. Just chain from both ends -- there is no "in" and "out" to worry about. And then, don't drop the case on the floor with jacks plugged into it and you should be fine as far as strain goes.

The only time I ever would have benefited from a buffered mult was very early on when my CV/gate source was a Microbrute. The outputs didn't have the usual impedance that Eurorack does and so it'd get unreliable. But a powered attenuverter can also serve that buffering role.

The issue where Rampage (or less often, Maths) stops cycling if you plug it into a passive LPG doesn't need a buffered mult, just a passive attenuator.

Rides in the Storm also do a cheap 4hp passive mult module, the QPM, I have one of them and find it especially handy for distributing copies of the main clock around the racks.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm Rides in the Storm also do a cheap 4hp passive mult module, the QPM, I have one of them and find it especially handy for distributing copies of the main clock around the racks.
That's quite the good deal. Was not hip to them. 8)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm Rides in the Storm also do a cheap 4hp passive mult module, the QPM, I have one of them and find it especially handy for distributing copies of the main clock around the racks.
Im sticking a pair of Cavisynth 3x4 switched mults into a wee standalone wooden box, specifically for clock; intending to try and bodge in some passive ANDs and/or ORs as well, based on the Mystic Circuits ones.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”