Ooh, I like This Modular Rack...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't have experience with any of the latest stuff, but I have used a bunch of different filter banks. Serge ResEQ, Buchla 296 and 296e, Verbos Bark filter, ADDAC601 and a few incarnations of the Moog 914. Each one has it's own character and some unique features.

The Moog 914 and the Serge ResEq are probably the most simple, no voltage control and fixed filter frequencies but both just ooze character and really shine in feedback patches. Of the ones listed above, I have a pair of ResEQs and I run almost everything through them. I find their just as useful for mixing as they are for sound design.

The Verbos Bark filter is based on the Buchla 296 but it adds some features. If you have two of them, you can build an 8 band vocoder out of these by using the envelope follower outputs from one unit to control the band levels of the second unit. The 296e takes this to a whole new level with presets and more complex modulation.

The ADDAC601 was a big surprise, it sounds really nice and has a ton of features. It's a little cramped for my taste but i really liked the sound. I tried it in a friends system and still consider getting one.

The ADDAC601 sounds nice; i ve heard some good things about it.

I m currently looking into this one.
It s a vocoder first, can be used as a cv controlled fixed filter bank and has enveloppe followers cv out.
Based on the Syntovox 222 vocoder.
I think it sounds really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA2fE8tSsN8

I was going to mention that one too. I haven't tried it yet but they have one in a demo system at Perfect Circuit and I've been meaning to try it out. The same company makes a clone of the Synton Syrinx, which sounds really nice.

The Boog 914 is a bargain at $99.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:52 am The Boog 914 is a bargain at $99.
Regularly around £50 on Amazon over here!
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:18 am
Regularly around £50 on Amazon over here!
+1

With two of them, the stereo panning alone is hours of :D worthy. :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Yeah, if I had more space, I'd probably grab another one...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Was thinking, a lot of knobs fit over standard spindle sizes, must be a way to build an overlay for popular modules that uses motors to turn spindles based on incoming CV though I guess you’d be wanting more power than eurorack generally provides for that. Maybe a phone battery would have enough juice? Alternative build an assembly outside of eurorack that can host the module and provides the module with juice.

I miss my Meccano. :(

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Yes it is. Great bang for the buck.
No cv, followers and vocoding though.
I love vocoders :love:

I d probably end up throwing it out for a module that has those features and then it would end up in a second rack? Oeoe, a second rack, the path to the dark side. :o

Still, an interesting module to consider.

The Fumana from Frap Tools was the Filterbank i wanted, but was never able
to find one in stock anywhere at the same
time as havin the money to pay for it.
One day maybe. :lol:

Stefken wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:44 am

I d probably end up throwing it out for a module that has those features and then it would end up in a second rack? Oeoe, a second rack, the path to the dark side. :o
It's best not to assign an ordinal to the racks, you don't want to have to eat your words later. Gonna say it, you have truly been sucked in my friend. My god, I've been disciplined, no new modules for a while, maybe I should buy that second 914.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:50 pm
Stefken wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:44 am

It's best not to assign an ordinal to the racks, you don't want to have to eat your words later. Gonna say it, you have truly been sucked in my friend. My god, I've been disciplined, no new modules for a while, maybe I should buy that second 914.
When i m passionate about something, i always go all in :wink: .

If there comes a second rack, i m not against it persé as long as it is well motivated.
That being said, i m quite content with my rack as it is (which still has empty space).
Still quite a bit to discover. I have 4 filters that are bandpass capable so i could already get a feel for sequencing bandpass filters without the fixed filter bank.

Exploration is the name of the game for me. I don t always need to own modules I explore. Getting to know them can be a reward on itself.

This could be interesting for some.

I guess my black sequencer can do all that in just one module, but depending on the use case this can be a bit more hands on. Anyway, i liked the way he was getting new patterns in an interactive way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPXQPcuHprA

justin3am wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:56 pm The ADDAC601 was a big surprise, it sounds really nice and has a ton of features. It's a little cramped for my taste but i really liked the sound. I tried it in a friends system and still consider getting one.
I did some more research and i m leaning towards the ADDAC601.

This thread was really helpfull.
https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261664

The ADDAC hits the sweetspot for me regarding features (has a ton), sound, HP and price.

The VXC-2220 charmed me a lot as well, but it s main focus is vocoding and the sound seems more resonant. I m opting for the more generic feature set and the sound of the ADDAC as vocoding voices is more of a niche thing.
Using the ADDAC envelope follower outputs i can assemble a 6 band vocoder with the filters I have. I guess it will do well with drum vocoding, we ll see what voice vocoding brings.

A cheap but nice option is the Verbos Noise and Filter (4 band FFB) which you can hook up with a quad VCA. You can already do pretty neat stuff with just this combo. You can add a quad envelope follower to it for more options.

The VOIS modular can also be mentioned. Does vocoding and FFB but no cv on the filters.

The Fumana is probably the top model but pretty out there in terms of HP and price. This is way out of my sweetspot.

Went with a Klavis Twin Waves. Only 10hp left!

Think I have enough sound sources with the 3 2600 oscillators, Brains and the
Klavis. Modulation covered with the Four LFO and the QARV (and the Klavis).
Thinking maybe a Happy Nerding 3x MIA for more subtly control and a Disting Mk4 just because it’s max bang for buck in 4hp.

Won’t rush though because I’m then into new case territory. :help:
Last edited by SHall1000 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”