List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The UDO Super Gemini is now released, but I note that the manual says 'reserved for future use' when the MPE button is mentioned. So best not to include it yet (currently you have it listed but not released). I dont have this synth myself but I will keep an eye on this side of things.

I don't know what it is with those guys and "future" MPE...

It was the same on the 6 for years, that button just sitting there like an empty promise. :?

Amazing synths though. Objects of desire, to be sure.

Cheers!

SteveElbows wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:09 pm The UDO Super Gemini is now released, but I note that the manual says 'reserved for future use' when the MPE button is mentioned. So best not to include it yet (currently you have it listed but not released). I dont have this synth myself but I will keep an eye on this side of things.
Not to worry, I have that entry handled for now. Thank you for the update and continuing to watch its status.

Status update:
  • [Desktop] UDO Audio Super Gemini - Preorder to WIP
I contacted Matthew Thomas O'Connell, who I assume is the project head of the Galax Balsam, about whether or not the device is also an MPE synthesizer. I will provide an update from them once they have replied back.

I will (also) provide another update to this thread within the next few days, if any, after I manually fetch MPE-related content from various sources.

John the Savage wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:02 pm I don't know what it is with those guys and "future" MPE...

It was the same on the 6 for years, that button just sitting there like an empty promise. :?

Amazing synths though. Objects of desire, to be sure.

Cheers!
Yes I had one of the first Super 6's that were available so the wait for me was very long and painful. And when it finally arrived, CC74 was hard-wired to one destination. Thats supposed to change in next firmware but I'm not sure they've done it in a way that matches the official MPE spec at all, although I cant really talk about that in any detail till final version goes public, and I can only hope they changed approach in final version.

They've made some awesome synths but have clearly struggled to dedicate enough resources to firmware development in these early years, and continually underestimate the size of the development challenge and how long it will take. They still have my support, but yes it was ironic that the only hardware synth I have with MPE actually written on the control panel continued to lack MPE while other synths I could barely dare to dream might get MPE got it via their own firmware updates in the meantime.

Here is the email response I got from Matthew Thomas O'Connell about the Galax Balsam:
Hi Frank,

The instrument sends pitch bend data across eight channels, and adheres to the MPE spec for lower and upper registers and the 48 semitone pitch bend range.

However the keys themselves are not “expressive” so they only send note on/off messages. I hope that clears things up. Thanks for the question!

-Matthew
This answer looks and sounds like the Galax Balsam adheres to the MPE spec, so I will tentatively add it as an entry.

New entries:
  • [Desktop] Galax Synthesizer Corporation Galax Balsam - Unreleased
  • [Desktop] Iridium Core - Released
Status updates:
  • [Desktop] Fred's Lab Töörö - WIP to Released
  • [Desktop] Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave Desktop - Unreleased to Released
  • [Desktop] Tasty Chips Electronics GR-MEGA - Unreleased to Preorder
  • [Module] OXI Instruments OXI Coral - WIP to Released

The Behringer UB-Xa got its official launch announcement today and has MPE listed (expand the first 'Product Features' section using the 'Show more' link near the top of this page):

https://www.behringer.com/product.html? ... e=0722-AAF

I think you already have this one listed so I'm just mentioning it for confirmation purposes. I havent checked whether availability is imminent or will take a few months.

SteveElbows wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:22 pm The Behringer UB-Xa got its official launch announcement today and has MPE listed (expand the first 'Product Features' section using the 'Show more' link near the top of this page):

https://www.behringer.com/product.html? ... e=0722-AAF

I think you already have this one listed so I'm just mentioning it for confirmation purposes. I havent checked whether availability is imminent or will take a few months.
Thank you, it looks like the product does not exist on shelves just yet, but I will still change the status anyways.

Status update:
  • [Keyboard] Behringer UB-Xa - Unreleased to Released
There is supposed to be a Behringer UB-Xa D as well, but it looks like it is still unlisted/unreleased for now.

The full manual (as opposed to quickstart guide) for the UB-Xa is now available and goes into detail about MPE so it has indeed been implemented.

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PL ... _A4_EN.pdf

Indeed, near the very bottom of the User Manual at page 30. Thank you for the link.

Hello there,

as I'm looking for a MPE hardware synthesizer it's not clear to me if all the ones listed at the beginning of this post are all fully compatible with LinnStrument.

I'm particularly interested by Haken Audio ContinuuMini https://www.hakenaudio.com/continuumini or by Artiphon Chorda https://artiphon.com/pages/chorda and I would like to know if I can use the LinnStrument as a MIDI MPE Controller with these synths without any other additional device (computer, tablet, ...).

It works very well with the ContinuuMini.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

Phil_B wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:17 am Hello there,

as I'm looking for a MPE hardware synthesizer it's not clear to me if all the ones listed at the beginning of this post are all fully compatible with LinnStrument.

I'm particularly interested by Haken Audio ContinuuMini or by Artiphon Chorda and I would like to know if I can use the LinnStrument as a MIDI MPE Controller with these synths without any other additional device (computer, tablet, ...).
They should be, although the Artiphon Chorda is still currently on preorder status. The only MPE hardware synthesizers you will want to avoid are those that have the WIP status, as their implementations are incomplete.

Supercritical Redshift 6, now revealed and due to be available some time in the summer (with some retailers already taking preorders), has MPE listed as one of its features.

https://supercriticalsynthesizers.com/redshift6/

Thank you for the information.

New entry:
  • [Desktop] Supercritical Synthesizers Redshift 6 - Preorder

New entry:
  • [Desktop] Intellijel Cascadia - Released
Status update:
  • [Desktop] Fred's Lab Manatee - Unreleased to Preorder

Return to “Roger Linn Design”