How do you keep an iPad (2018 here) + audio interface powered

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Alesis IO Dock does it (even though Alesis doesn't mention it). Are there audio interfaces that do that for more modern iPads?
There's the "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter", which has a charging port, but I don't know if it powers the iPad or just supplies extra power to an attached USB device?

It works fine. I use the camera adapter. You will have to use the usb for the audiointerface and the Lightning for power

simonhans73 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:48 pm It works fine. I use the camera adapter. You will have to use the usb for the audiointerface and the Lightning for power
What exactly does it power? The audio interface? The ipad? Both?

T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:32 pm
simonhans73 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:48 pm It works fine. I use the camera adapter. You will have to use the usb for the audiointerface and the Lightning for power
The Apple USB3-Lighting Camera Adapter powers the iPad / iPhone first and then the device on the USB-A port.

When the audio interface still needs more power you have to use its power supply if it has one or a powered USB-Hub.

The only audio interfaces that comes to my mind right now which can power the iPad are the iConnectivity Audio4+ / 2+ / 4c ones.

And be sure to only buy the ORIGINAL Apple Adapter. Everything else is inviting problems.

mindnoise wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:03 am
T-CM11 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:32 pm
The Apple USB3-Lighting Camera Adapter powers the iPad / iPhone first and then the device on the USB-A port.

When the audio interface still needs more power (depends on the interface, as some outright report wrong power draws to the USB-Host) you have to use its power supply if it has one or a powered USB-Hub.

The only audio interfaces - that comes to my mind right now - which can power the iPad are the iConnectivity Audio4+ / 2+ / 4c ones.

And be sure to only buy the ORIGINAL Apple Adapter. Everything else is inviting problems.

I use it for irig hd2 audio interface. It works perfekt. I dont know if you get problems with more power-hungry audiointerfaces

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”