TAL Drum - discussion

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Creating this as an ongoing place for discussion, feature requests etc. to keep the version/updates thread clean so people can subscribe to it and only get notifications when a plugin has been updated. :tu: viewtopic.php?t=592462

Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 09.37.40.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

Would be nice if we could enter velocity split points numerically. Click and drag gets tedious when working with many samples. Also would be nice if the to velocity range could go higher than 117 for the lower level of the last velocity split range. Who knows maybe its possible and I have missed?

FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:28 am Would be nice if we could enter velocity split points numerically. Click and drag gets tedious when working with many samples. Also would be nice if the to velocity range could go higher than 117 for the lower level of the last velocity split range. Who knows maybe its possible and I have missed?
Mm yeah I think in general having a mouse modifier available that lets any value be entered manually/numerically is very useful. I've been meaning to talk to Patrick about that being good in other places (in tal sampler) so I'll add this to the discussion. Thanks!
emptyvessel
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.

A step sequencer with some assignable parameters would be awesome

skippy63 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:58 pm A step sequencer with some assignable parameters would be awesome
Addition of a sequencer in terms of triggering the pads has been discussed a bit and afaik still is not planned. Are you meaning as a modulation source though?
emptyvessel

1) The ability to import sfz.
2) The ability to assign all the pads a random colour at once.
3) Add grain stretching algorithm.

chibchan wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:30 am 1) The ability to import sfz.
2) The ability to assign all the pads a random colour at once.
3) Add grain stretching algorithm.
Nice one, thanks. I'll pass those on. :tu:
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:40 am
skippy63 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:58 pm A step sequencer with some assignable parameters would be awesome
Addition of a sequencer in terms of triggering the pads has been discussed a bit and afaik still is not planned. Are you meaning as a modulation source though?
Would really love that sequencer and would gladly pay for an upgrade that has the sequencer personally. It would replace some other drum machine type plugins for me. Just my 2c.

seangm wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:43 pm
Would really love that sequencer and would gladly pay for an upgrade that has the sequencer personally. It would replace some other drum machine type plugins for me. Just my 2c.
I did pass on in the feature requests email I sent today that a few people are still keen on this, it's in Patrick's hands whether he wants to implement it. He receives a lot of feature requests directly too so I'd imagine he has a picture of how much interest there is. Let's see what the TAL Drum update brings.
emptyvessel

EmptyVessel wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:53 pm
seangm wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:43 pm
I did pass on in the feature requests email I sent today that a few people are still keen on this, it's in Patrick's hands whether he wants to implement it. He receives a lot of feature requests directly too so I'd imagine he has a picture of how much interest there is. Let's see what the TAL Drum update brings.
Sounds good, thanks for passing it along.

Still loving this, but I've a small request that might be easier said than implemented.

Possible to get a more advanced filter for the browser? No need to complicate the interface, but maybe some text syntax to use two (or more) filter words at a time?

Handy for searching for e.g. "acoustic kick" where both words might be present in the name but not necessarily as that exact phrase.

Cheers!

I also think a sequencer would make Tal Drum perfect.

With some randomization options.

From the "TAL-Drum: add a sequencer" thread
neverbeeninariot wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:42 am If you want a simple pattern sequencer, your DAW's midi editor is a much better and more flexible place to work.

Adding a sequencer to a drum plugin only makes sense if the functionality far exceeds what you can do easily in the DAW; Pattern randomisation, polymeters, pan/pitch/probability/etc per hit, pattern chaining, etc. You get the idea - think SB Drum Computer, or Geist 2 - This would be worthwhile, at least for the users, but if I was the dev, I'd be thinking seriously about the development effort Vs the return on that effort. As EV noted above, it is a non-trivial piece of work, and TAL (afaik) is a one-man dev team with a growing catalogue to maintain.

That's not too say that I wouldn't want to see a full-fat, balls-out, kitchen sink, batteries included sequencer because I think it would be truly awesome, however I also think that it's very, very unlikely to happen and I'm fine with that. At the same time, I really don't see the point in adding something that's trivially reproducible in the DAW.

gauderbock wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:38 pm Still loving this, but I've a small request that might be easier said than implemented.

Possible to get a more advanced filter for the browser? No need to complicate the interface, but maybe some text syntax to use two (or more) filter words at a time?

Handy for searching for e.g. "acoustic kick" where both words might be present in the name but not necessarily as that exact phrase.

Cheers!
Yeah I think this makes sense, I'll pass it on, thanks :tu:

The great sequencer debate:
I keep typing a lengthy response to this then deleting it :ud: Yes, TAL (Patrick) is one guy and has to be careful how he balances his time. Now is a good time to discuss feature requests for TAL Drum and I'm passing on what's discussed and the feedback is appreciated. Only so much will be possible/practical with each (free) update and some things may need to wait, or may never happen. At some point I'm sure we'd love to see something new from TAL, too.
emptyvessel

The reason people ask for a pattern sequencer is very probably because it is really hard to find a live jamming drum or sample sequencer that enables you to change patterns on the fly and make live songs arrangements.

I am personally looking for all kinds of plugins that can do this as good arranging depends on the "feeling" which you lose when you have to copy-paste-restart-listen. Just imagine having 1-2 octaves on your keyboard that change drum patterns and a couple or more that change bass or whatever patterns MPC style. That would be awesome to have.

Currently I'm using Reaper's "sequencer baby" JS for that and it's very good, but I would like to see what TAL could bring to the table. Sequencer in Bassline-101 is a good start. ;) I actually user the ability of Bassline-101 and J-8 (arp) to send-pass midi notes sometimes. It's great they can do that.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “TAL Software”