TAL Drum - discussion

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's interesting how TAL-Drum provides independent ADSR and other controls (pan, filter etc) for each sample layer.

It's very flexible, however, I find that for a drum sampler I would more often like to send sample layers through a single ADSR envelop to gel them together. I'd like to suggest a checkbox next to the ADSR that would switch between the current mode where there is an individual ADSR for each layer and a combined mode where the layers are mixed before going through a common ADSR.

thanks!

swivel wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:27 pm It's interesting how TAL-Drum provides independent ADSR and other controls (pan, filter etc) for each sample layer.

It's very flexible, however, I find that for a drum sampler I would more often like to send sample layers through a single ADSR envelop to gel them together. I'd like to suggest a checkbox next to the ADSR that would switch between the current mode where there is an individual ADSR for each layer and a combined mode where the layers are mixed before going through a common ADSR.

thanks!
Or a hierarchical ADSR, like Short Circuit had it. Best of both worlds.

:dog:
Nothing to see here move along.

Got TAL Drum recently and it’s amazing, so powerful yet so usable and quick to get excellent results from.

Request for the devs — would it be possible to implement a feature that allows the linking of parameters between pads? Even better would be an option that links all parameters within a voice group, so that if I adjust parameters in one pad then the others in the group follow. Either this or being able to midi learn multiple parameters to a single incoming CC simultaneously. Otherwise I find I don’t get much benefit out of voice groups other than choking, and chromatic pads are much less useful than they could be as well.

Also, the automation feature doesn’t seem to play nicely with parameters that are bipolar, since all the automation knobs are unipolar. Unless I’m doing something wrong?

Thanks to TAL for all the hard work!

I'm not the expert on TAL Drum so hopefully others can confirm but if you select multiple pads you can then edit parameters on all the selected pads at once afaik? I just tested this by selecting a bunch of pads and pushing the tuning up an octave and it adjusted the tuning on all selected pads.
Almost all parameters are automatable directly, I took a quick look at automating a bipolar parameter in Live 11 and it shows in the automation as expected.
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

Yes indeed, but I mean for the purposes of MIDI CC control and for efficient editing of voice-shared/chromatic samples, so one doesn't have to select multiple pads every time they want to change a parameter for all of those that are in a voice group/are chromatic. Since the envelope and filter parameters aren't sent to the DAW I can't control them with macros in Ableton Live, so I was unable to implement that as a solution. This would also make Drum far more playable in a live performance/live recording context.

Edit: Adding that it's also frustrating for slices. I love being able to slice a break to individual pads, but this ultimately makes it impossible to edit most of their parameters in a live record/performance context, and a bit cumbersome in a production context (unless you eat up most or all of your automation knobs on one break). One would assume that a sliced break should go through a single filter and amp, not an independent filter and amp per slice.

Re: the bipolar parameters, true! I will automate the Pitch and Pan main parameters directly from the DAW, thank you. Though is it fair to say almost all parameters are automatable directly? All the Mapping, Filter, Amp, and Envelope parameters are not sent to the DAW, that seems to be the majority of parameters per pad.

1) mouse scrolling in the samples/folder list
2) remember last folder when going dir-up (would help with a longer list of sample folders when browsing

------
invalid after reading the manual (Ctrl-RightArrow)
1) take over of selected sample into the pad (permanently) by pressing right arrow (otherwise this always has to be done via doubleclick when pre-listening other samples)

Grenoybel wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:03 pm Hello, on the matrix, will you have in future updates the Sample end and Loop end available as destinations?

Amazing work, really enjoyed the demo.
Hello All, I'm coming back to this, because on previous versions this was available as destinations, but since the change to the Matrix, at least in the Demo, these options are not available anymore, sad to see such a disruptive feature being lost.

Cheers

What I'd like to see in TAL drum ...

1. the option to 'clean' a single pad or group of selected pads with the [Del] key on the keyboard. Simple.

2. the option to copy/move a GROUP of pads > samples! to the file explorer [Windows] or another drum sampler on a different track. So far TD only lets me move single pads [samples] to another track or sampler in the DAW, even when I select a group of pads [Shift or Ctrl.] (Even the free ADSR sample manager has that option to copy a selection of samples to basically any place I need them.)

3. the option to easily save slices as individual *.wav files instead of saving just the loop they've been cut out from.

What I wouldn't like to see in TD ...
... a sequencer.
YMMV.

Patrick has been quiet for a long while. I'm interested in what he's working on right now. :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

So what happened to the "Analog" and "Timing" parameters on the Mapping page? I see it in all the videos but it's gone in v.2.1.0

EDIT

NM it's been moved to the "Lo-Fi" tab.

They've moved to the Lo Fi tab at the bottom.

audiojunkie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:52 pm Patrick has been quiet for a long while. I'm interested in what he's working on right now. :)
you will see quite soon :tu: :party:
emptyvessel
Professional sound design for manufacturers and composers
Sound Designer @ Novation.TAL.Arturia.UnfilteredAudio.Kilohearts.PaulHaslinger(composer).Tritik.Xils.AEModular.
https://store.emptyvessel.co.nz/

Ooh!!! Is it an addition to an existing product, or an entirely new product? At least give us this much of a hint. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:59 am
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:52 pm Patrick has been quiet for a long while. I'm interested in what he's working on right now. :)
you will see quite soon :tu: :party:
I'm dying to know

Return to “TAL Software”