TAL Drum - discussion

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EmptyVessel wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:59 am
audiojunkie wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:52 pm Patrick has been quiet for a long while. I'm interested in what he's working on right now. :)
you will see quite soon :tu: :party:
Drum machine please! I offered to lend him my Airbase99 for modeling and he politely declined 😢

A very nice update...
Version 2.3.2 / 05.04.2024

8 mappings/samples per pad.
Matrix: INV option added (inverts the value for unipolar modulations).
Matrix: Loop-end / sample-end modulation targets added.
Mapping: Full-featured high-quality parametric EQ added.
Mapping: Veloctiy-range text edit fields added.
Mapping: Mute option added.
Mapping: Show reverse envelope and LFO curves for reversed samples.
Mapping: Waveform-zoom is also possible without a mouse wheel in the waveform-overview.
EDIT button for fast mapping-editor access.
Hidden system files are not visible anymore in the file browser.
Cleaned up UI.
Framework update.

This is incredible !! Thanks for the heads up..
One thing I noticed is in Bitwig the modulation starts with pad 0 so pad 12 in Tal-drum is showing as pad 11 in Bitwig knob mappings etc.. would be nice to have them synced up but it is nearly perfect now Tal-drum.

Already another (maintenance) update:

"Version 2.3.3 / 08.04.2024
Minor fixes."

pizzatime1 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:33 pm This is incredible !! Thanks for the heads up..
One thing I noticed is in Bitwig the modulation starts with pad 0 so pad 12 in Tal-drum is showing as pad 11 in Bitwig knob mappings etc.. would be nice to have them synced up but it is nearly perfect now Tal-drum.
This numbering offset appears in Reaper too. Additionaly to the numbering of the pads. It surely can be annoying to automate e.g. pitch of pad 37 and after that, realizing that you actually have automated pitch of pad 38.
But i can imagine that renaming all these parameters can be quite tedious...
Otherwise, i think syncing them up has to be done only once, then it's done.

But i would like to see it in all plugin formats consistent. For now, the CLAP version has a way more amount of parameters in the automation list, and most of the more are unnecessary. Or is it useful to automate e.g. the "voice group choke" state of pad 63? (or was that pad 64?)

Though, one parameter could be useful in the VST versions as well: "analog inaccuracy (n)" [(n) = pad number], since "timing jitter (n)" is alredy there.

Btw, one parameter that is in both, CLAP and VSTs formats, i find debatable for automation too: "velocity curve (n)"... Thoughts? Comments?

Man, those 8 mappings/samples per pad have been #1 on my wishlist since I bought Tal drum ... that update really made my day :party: Thanks a bunch, Patrick.

Can't find a way to select all mappings at one. That would be very handy to apply changes to them all at once. Now, since they are 8, an option for "select them all" seems necessary. Similar to the existing "select all pads" option.

Happy to have to complain only about such a small issue... :)

I'd love to be able to drop (up to) 8 samples of (for example) the same snare recorded at increasingly louder versions onto a single Pad so that the layers are automatically spread across either (by selection) low to high or high to low with corresponding velocity ranges.

the way TAL Drum is currently designed, it is an incredibly time consuming task to assign multiple same type/low to high volume samples to a single Pad.
On a number of Macs

And while I'm on the subject of Layer sample velocity response, It would really help if you could actually see a number as you adjust the top and bottom of the velocity bars.
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 2.33.37 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On a number of Macs

More thoughts on Layer velocity bar adjustment and functionality: Besides being able to see (or interrogate) a numeric value for the bar ranges, I’d like to see the bars change colors when they overlap.

And I’d like to see a preference whether adjacent bars cross fade or not.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:47 pm And while I'm on the subject of Layer sample velocity response, It would really help if you could actually see a number as you adjust the top and bottom of the velocity bars.
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 2.33.37 PM.png
Since Version 2.3.2 such numbers are displayed right below the LOOP buttons as "Veloctiy-range text edit fields". Hence you can enter the values directly there, or drag the upper/lower edge of the "Veloctiy-range bar". While dragging, the value is reflected in the fields simultaneously.

Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:52 pm More thoughts on Layer velocity bar adjustment and functionality: Besides being able to see (or interrogate) a numeric value for the bar ranges, I’d like to see the bars change colors when they overlap.

And I’d like to see a preference whether adjacent bars cross fade or not.
+1

Weasel-Boy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:43 pm I'd love to be able to drop (up to) 8 samples of (for example) the same snare recorded at increasingly louder versions onto a single Pad so that the layers are automatically spread across either (by selection) low to high or high to low with corresponding velocity ranges.

the way TAL Drum is currently designed, it is an incredibly time consuming task to assign multiple same type/low to high volume samples to a single Pad.
As far as i know, the request to "select multiple samples to load from the browser" is noticed by the developer for a while. I really hope that can be implemented as soon as possible.
Further, it should be ensured to select if these multiple samples should spread over pads or over layers.
Finally, the behaviour that the layers get automatically an arrayed velocity range is not so neessary imho, since you can make that with one right-click and it's context menu.

orbeater wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm
Since Version 2.3.2 such numbers are displayed right below the LOOP buttons as "Veloctiy-range text edit fields". Hence you can enter the values directly there, or drag the upper/lower edge of the "Veloctiy-range bar". While dragging, the value is reflected in the fields simultaneously.
Ha! Thank you, orbeater. I stand corrected. I never noticed the numbers changing to the right. There is a kind of visual disconnect because of that layout.
orbeater wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm Finally, the behaviour that the layers get automatically an arrayed velocity range is not so neessary imho, since you can make that with one right-click and it's context menu.
And yet another thank you. had no idea a right click would bring those selections.

And yes, multiple selection drops should occur across pad or layers. A global preference would work.
On a number of Macs

Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm
orbeater wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm Finally, the behaviour that the layers get automatically an arrayed velocity range is not so neessary imho, since you can make that with one right-click and it's context menu.
And yet another thank you. had no idea a right click would bring those selections.

And yes, multiple selection drops should occur across pad or layers. A global preference would work.
I think even a global preference wouldn't be necessary. It could just depend on where you drag and drop the samples:
pad overview = across pads
mapping array = across layers

Return to “TAL Software”