Baby Audio BA-1 synth out now!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BA-1

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:03 pm Has anyone mentioned that the "Load" and "Save" icons are backwards. The "Load" arrow is pointing down towards the risk like it's writing to disk (i.e. saving), while the "Save" icon is pointing up, like data is being written to the disk (i.e. loaded).

Or is it just me?
The arrows are with respect to BA-1: down means in to (load) BA-1 and up means out of (save) BA-1.

Imaginary191 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:02 am I found that it works when I switch to ASIO driver in Reason options. Not working with DX driver.
Now this is really weird. I tried switching Cakewalk to ASIO, which it won't even allow anymore because the old ASIO driver on my system is incompatible with the current Cakewalk. Not sure why it warns me about this though, because I'm actually using the ASIO driver that is part of the SSL 2+ interface that I use. Anyway, my Cakewalk is technically always in WASAPI shared mode, and as soon as it reverted back to that after the ASIO warning - BA-1 works fine! Truly odd behavior.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:14 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:03 pm Has anyone mentioned that the "Load" and "Save" icons are backwards. The "Load" arrow is pointing down towards the risk like it's writing to disk (i.e. saving), while the "Save" icon is pointing up, like data is being written to the disk (i.e. loaded).

Or is it just me?
The arrows are with respect to BA-1: down means in to (load) BA-1 and up means out of (save) BA-1.
Yes, but that's backwards from everyone else who similarly uses arrows.

BONES explanation about thinking of it from the perspective of there being a Cloud where presets are being saved to and stored kind of makes sense, but I still think it's either an error or bad UI design.

If you google Save icon, you'll come across examples that look just like the load icon here. And if you search "Load icon", you'll come across examples that look like the save icon. They've basically reversed a common paradigm. It would be like if you saw an Octagonal red sign while driving that said "Don't Stop". That would confuse folks.

But it's a small thing. Just wanted to raise it in case it wasn't intentional and someone just flipped some GUI elements by mistake.

Just remove the arrows altogether. Totally pointless.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:20 pmYes, but that's backwards from everyone else who similarly uses arrows.
Is it? I can't say it's something I've encountered before but I had no trouble figuring it out on my own. Or maybe it was just a lucky guess? I was guided by their position more than anything - load to the left of the preset window, save to the right.
If you google Save icon, you'll come across examples that look just like the load icon here. And if you search "Load icon", you'll come across examples that look like the save icon.
Hmmmm... Both seem equally popular. This is the top line of my search results for "load icon", minus a few more wheel type icons -

icons.png

The up arrow makes sense with a disk icon but with the tray it seems not to matter as much. But, as you say, it's unimportant in the greater scheme of things, people will work it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Here's a question - has anyone worked out how much polyphony you get? I got as far as 17 notes without maxxing it out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Hey all,
Just a quick note that v1.1 of BA-1 is out today. It addresses the bugs that have been reported in this thread and via email. You can grab it from the same links as in your original order email or go download the trial. If you find anything else at all, let us know!

Update log:
* Fixed issue that would cause BA-1 to sometimes crash on older Mac OS / Logic versions
* Fixed reported midi CC issues
* Fixed issues related to FL Studio
* Fixed the "1st bar bounce" issue reported by some users
* Added some extra new presets
babyaud.io

Thanks for the update!

1.1 crashes the most current versions on Ableton Live 11 Suite, Logic Pro X and Pro Tools 2023.03 when attempting to change preset with the arrows on each side of the plugin preset lcd. Standalone crashes as well. There are no presets in the preset browser when opened. Using a 2021 MBP 16" M1 Max. All DAWs running under Rosetta 2.
BABY Audio wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:16 am Hey all,
Just a quick note that v1.1 of BA-1 is out today. It addresses the bugs that have been reported in this thread and via email. You can grab it from the same links as in your original order email or go download the trial. If you find anything else at all, let us know!

Update log:
* Fixed issue that would cause BA-1 to sometimes crash on older Mac OS / Logic versions

BABY Audio wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:16 am Hey all,

Update log:
Thanks a lot for the update. I did a quick test with v1.1 and the two issues I reported for FL Studio seem to be fixed (Windows 11 here). I will let you know if I come across any other issues. :)

Not sure if this is some problem with VST3 format in general, but the BA-1 GUI size is not remembered when recalling BA-1 from the FL Studio Plugin Database. For example, if I make BA-1 bigger and then save the thumbnail in Plugin Database, recalling it again loads it with the default size. This issue doesn't happen with the VST2 version.

I have observed this problem with a lot of other VST3 plugins of which VST2 counterparts don't show it.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
SCprogfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:14 pm Ok, what am I doing wrong with this? Can't get it to work. I can only get one wobbly tone out of it. None of the controls work for me, not even the volume control. None of the presets load. I have tried re-installing, rebooting. Anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
Had the same problem, same machine - the presets folder was strangely enough write protected so I unlocked it, reinstalled andt ehn had success:

Code: Select all (#)

cd /Library/Application Support/BABY Audio/presets
sudo  chmod a+rwx BA-1
Then reinstall, the folder BA-1 under presets should now have all the directories needed. But the folders are empty, turns out we have to do this again:

Code: Select all (#)

cd BA-01
sudo chmod -R a+rwx *
Then reinstall!

bjorkman wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:38 am
SCprogfan wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:14 pm Ok, what am I doing wrong with this? Can't get it to work. I can only get one wobbly tone out of it. None of the controls work for me, not even the volume control. None of the presets load. I have tried re-installing, rebooting. Anyone else run into this? Any ideas?
Had the same problem, same machine - the presets folder was strangely enough write protected so I unlocked it, reinstalled andt ehn had success:

Code: Select all

cd /Library/Application Support/BABY Audio/presets
sudo  chmod a+rwx BA-1
Then reinstall, the folder BA-1 under presets should now have all the directories needed. But the folders are empty, turns out we have to do this again:

Code: Select all

cd BA-01
sudo chmod -R a+rwx *
Then reinstall!
Yes, there was an issue with the 1.1 update from yesterday but it's now fixed. If you're a Mac user and were affected, these instructions above will fix it. If you haven't tried BA-1 yet - or were not affected - then the latest version will work as it should.
babyaud.io

In version 1.1 there is still an empty preset folder .... pretty impressive silence presets there ....

steff3 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:32 am In version 1.1 there is still an empty preset folder .... pretty impressive silence presets there ....
This has been fixed now. If the presets still don't show, you should remove the BA-1 preset folder in Library -> Application Support -> BABY Audio -> Presets -> BA-1 ... and then do a re-install of the latest version. That will fix it.

If you have any user presets in the folder that you want to keep, you can follow the instructions proposed a few posts back or contact us at support@babyaud.io -- then we'll help out.

This issue only affected certain Mac users who downloaded between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning this week. This was the time between issuing the first v1.1 update and realizing the issue + fixing it. It is now fixed. So everyone else, including people downloading BA-1 for the first time now - or people reading this thread in 5 years from now - will have no issues :)

The problem was caused by a permissions issue where BA-1 didn't have access to read its own presets folder. Sorry for the inconvenience. Just email us and we'll help you fix it.
babyaud.io

hi guys how is the Random function in this synth?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Return to “Instruments”