Graphics bug - MacBook m2

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi when using crusher x as a VST inside Bitwig when I close the Crusher-x vst window I get an increased CPU usage - sometimes starts spiking a lot on Bitwig meter - when I then open the window again so I can see the crusher-x interface it goes back down - happens nearly all the time but is especially noticeable on more cpu intensive patches.. have tried it with last version 4 and new Bitwig beta and does it in both.. bit of a weird issue - can anyone else test this please ?
Last edited by pizzatime on Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Should say also I have tried version 9 and 10 of crusher-x and this happens in both versions..

just noticed too if you 4 finger swipe to desktop from Bitwig and then swipe back to Bitwig you get no cpu spikes but if you do it with an instance of crusher-x running in Bitwig you get audio glitches and 100% cpu spikes.

Seems to be a Mac problem.. does it on 2 M2 macbooks.

Thanks for the report! We‘re investigating and will let you know when a solution is available.
Best
accSone

Hi,

there is a new version 10.24 ready to download (like described in your crusher-X version 10 delivery mail) that improves the multi-threading grain generation in special for macOS silicon M1/M2 machines.

This should fix your issue with the CPU spikes under Bitwig - please confirm.

Best
accSone

Hi thanks, that does fix the problem but playing the same factory patches in version 9 and in the new 10.24 the new version uses more cpu for the same patch ? GCO drone patch for example uses on average 7% in version 9 but 11% in the new version. V95 CXcounter preset uses almost twice the cpu in version 10.

I haven't actually updated as I was happy with version 9 and only discovered this cpu issue as I switched over recently to a MacBook. I do want to support Crusher-X but I would be updating mainly for this issue I think.. I haven't played too much with the glitcher yet but I don't like the layout / look as much visually of version 10.. The glitcher graphics in the bottom corner just looks a bit cluttered to me ( but maybe you do need to see that all the time) and fitting it in has made the grain buffer window a bit big (I can still see all the Bitwig browser on the right of the screen with version 9) . That's just my opinion on why I didn't update straight away. I will test version 10 more thoroughly and maybe come to like it more than version 9 but the increased CPU on presets is a slight concern?

Hi,
thanks for the feedback. We will continue optimizing performance on silicon M1/M2 macs (though it is already quite performant) and keep you updated on the progress.
Best
accSone

Hi, i'm thinking I will upgrade to 10 but is there a reason it uses quite a bit more CPU on the same presets than version 9?
Thanks.

One problem is that Silicon Macs have asymmetrical cores and we didn't (so far) found a way to ensure that a thread is running on the power cores only. If some of the grain threads running with low power, they blocking the dsp cycle to become completed. This leads to the crazy performance jumps on each cycle that are not suitable for plug-ins (leading to cracks). That meas we so far limited the dsp execution for M1/M2 to one thread - that actually works much better than the execution of parallel threads. We're still investigating, stay tuned for update.

In case of further interest, these are some references to goto:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/how-to-g ... con/778770

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... guage=objc

Best
accSone

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

I am still on Crusher-X version 9 (will update again when the next version is out) but just wanted to mention that the new Mac Sonoma 14 seems to have fixed all the graphics issues that was causing problems with Crusher-X described in my first post - runs perfectly for me now..
Actually means version 9 is running better than 10 I think as version 10 has the increased CPU to compensate for the Mac issues.

Return to “accSone”