iLOK warning

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Except that the OP's point is it's no fun if you have a computer problem because as they say, 'I now have to go through a process of reporting the 'old' computer unusable and all of the original plugin providers have to approve (individually) that the licenses can be disabled and re-enabled on the 'new' computer.'

So my point is really that we'd all be much happier if they changed that aspect.
Make it so you can just authorise your new computer without having to do that. lots of other authorisers are able to do that.

That would be nice.

I don’t mind iLok machine authorisation but will only buy from devs that allow at least two activations. The rest are leaving money on the table.

hotmitts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am Except that the OP's point is it's no fun if you have a computer problem because as they say, 'I now have to go through a process of reporting the 'old' computer unusable and all of the original plugin providers have to approve (individually) that the licenses can be disabled and re-enabled on the 'new' computer.'

So my point is really that we'd all be much happier if they changed that aspect.
Make it so you can just authorise your new computer without having to do that. lots of other authorisers are able to do that.
I'll refer you to my other post. If the OP purchased a hardware iLok he/she/it would not be in this pickle.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Can confirm. I’ve always used a hardware ilok and have never had a problem.

rather sad that so many will spend beaucoup on plugins but won't buy an ilok dongle. makes no sense but to each their own i suppose. my advice is to invest in yourself and life will be much simpler.

cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

I love iLok because of the dongle. It makes moving between machines so easy. Never have to worry about a failing SSD. I have never had a single problem with it. But I guess we Mac iLok users have it easier. Most of the troubles I've heard people complain about were on Windows.

MadDogE134 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm rather sad that so many will spend beaucoup on plugins but won't buy an ilok dongle. makes no sense but to each their own i suppose. my advice is to invest in yourself and life will be much simpler.

cheers
Not sad in the slightest, there are many plugins to choose from out there as we all know.

I wouldn't go the ilok route anymore from my experiences with it, and I never found USB devices to be reliable. Good if they work for you, to each their own.
But going back to what the OP of this thread brought up:
I still think they could improve the experience and like I said that would benefit us all and be of detriment to no one.
That's all. Enjoy.

Yup. Listen, if you don't run into problems with ilok then fine. BUT if you do, holy shit I could write a wall of text of my personal stories going back from around 2006 to the year 2012 when I finally swore off any new piece of software that uses ilok.

The thing is a tiny, fragile, USB dongle with potentially THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars worth of shit on it. It's like walking around with a piece of expensive jewelry, only the jewelry can not only get lost/stolen, it can just break randomly and bring your life to a screeching halt.

"Zero downtime" isn't exactly zero downtime.

And nobody "takes their plug-ins with them anywhere." Nobody walks into a studio and says "I HAZ ILOK let me install all this crap on your system." Whomever you're dealing with at the studio will say to you "Bring your own computer, dude."

The format is a massive liability for users, not the companies that use it for DRM. It's an extremely lobsided and compromised system.

There's gotta be a better way in 2024 for companies "super paranoid about DRM" like a fingerprint/facial recognition scan some shit. I dunno! Anything is better than ilok, f**k Ilok. haha

Cheers
"music is the best"

... boring ...

In the end, it took a total of five days to get activations back from eight different publishers. Kudos to Softube for being the fastest (only one day during weekend).

Funk Dracula wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 am Yup. Listen, if you don't run into problems with ilok then fine. BUT if you do, holy shit I could write a wall of text of my personal stories going back from around 2006 to the year 2012 when I finally swore off any new piece of software that uses ilok.

The thing is a tiny, fragile, USB dongle with potentially THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars worth of shit on it. It's like walking around with a piece of expensive jewelry, only the jewelry can not only get lost/stolen, it can just break randomly and bring your life to a screeching halt.
You obivously never owned a USB eLicenser. :hihi: Now THAT's some fragile shit. first thing I always did was to wrap some sellotape around it, because I was scared that the broken plastic in the corners would lead to the whole thing falling apart...

iLok is like a rock compared. But, you may also have heard that it's much easier to recover your licenses when you use the USB iLok (compared to machine authorization), I assume.

Anyway, I prefer simple online activation to iLok. It really shouldn't be necessary to block a USB port for the copy protection. But, I also understand that audio software developers have better things to do to worry about developing a working copy proteciton themselves. Especially as it must be the most boring part of software development.

If a software developer can't be arsed to do their job and rely on pace to malware my machine instead I'll happily support somebody else so they don't have to worry about it anymore.

Fair enough. It's not "malware" though. That might be your own subjective (and pretty emotional) impression of it, but, that's not the definition of malware.

I mean why don't all the developers that use ilok just agree that if you have a machine failure it's taken as read that you can re-activate ? Why does the user have to contact all the developers if the developers themselves have decided to go the ilok route ? Simple solution to a problem surely ?
But of course everyone tries to shut the actual reasoning down with their typical KVR/internet patronising/bickering polarising bullshite, FFS. jeez i despair of the human race sometimes.

I add ilok licences for demos on my computer and put the ones I bought on my ilok dongle. The more I add on the more I worry that one day I will loose them all due to one failing hardware.

Return to “Effects”