iLOK warning

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mine is iLok cloud, but it occurred to me that the AIR stuff was the only things I have that require iLok. I have a PSP delay that wants one, but I have a million delays. I also have PSP Nitro 2 which doesn't require iLok so it's installed and being used.

Does anyone know if your own USB stick can be used for holding licenses? 50 Euro for their own stick is too much.

Igro wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:55 pm Does anyone know if your own USB stick can be used for holding licenses?
Nope.

I got mine off Ebay some years ago.

I suspect most companies using iLok have investors who demand this kind of measures, or for example Kush, whose developer might be totally uninterested in coding copy protection. I also notice that old companies, Eventide, Soundtoys, Slate, Softube, that use this so it might be an anachronism from the time where piracy was super rampant and were never interested in making their own Copy protection.

I also don't like iLok and keep the plugins that use it to a minimum, only a couple of eventide fx that are not mission critical, I would never buy a synth that uses iLok or a DAW.

There is also Codemeter, that thing seems even worse, seems over engineered and a totally PITA for the user-
dedication to flying

The hw protection/dongle is mostly no issue. PACE is the issue. They were ****s (can't use that word now, but ****s are exactly what PACE were, and iLok is just another name for PACE ****s). If you have no issues with the dongle or even their other weird forms of protection and have nothing to do with PACE then you're OK. But as soon as you have anything to do with PACE - i.e. you start to have problems, then you have a huge issue, because they stick a very large middle finger up in your face and tell you to "go f**k yourself, tell somebody who gives any kind of shit". That ethos has obviously still stuck with iLok. I used a Steinberg dongle for decades and it was never an issue. I could use an iLok dongle and would have no issue. But iLok are still PACE ****s. I have a long memory, so obviously do others here. I would not piss on PACE if they were on fire directly in front of me writhing in pain. I'd probably run to get the petrol, actually. Will never buy anything that is in any way related to PACE, which means iLok, ever again. Same type of ****s as SONY.

**** obviously stands for wretched rotter, but I just can't spell very well.

PACE certainly brings out some ‘entertaining’ unhinged posts.

When I get an external monitor and dock for my laptop, I’ll definitely get a HW iLok to replace my machine auth.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I could be remembering incorrectly but I think like 10-15 years ago Rob Papen switched from iLok to no iLok and he said sales double or even more.

People that want to pirate will continue to pirate but the rest will buy it if it's not a shitty copy protection.

Interesting that STL Tones have dropped iLok in favour of their own system for Amphub and Tonehub. I'm sure the rest of their products will follow in due course.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

I lost access to a lot of plugins when my old computer's network adapter started acting strange. All iLok, Waves and KORG Collection plugins from what I remember. It's made me weary of relying on them too much since.

I should probably get a dongle one of these days since I enjoy using AIR plugins a lot...

I've had ilok since around 2013 or so. I ALWAYS opt for the ZTD (zero down time) option "When an RMA report is placed for an iLok covered by ZDT, we will immediately deposit 14-day temporary licenses into your ilok account. Temporary licenses are deposited for those licenses last seen on your iLok by our server." I haven't needed to use it so far fortunately but it's so worth it for piece of mine.I need to do things in a hurry sometimes and that happening is the last thing I need.

How often do you run into plugs with only one activation per license? I think everything I've got licensed via my PC has two or three. And I've got weekly local backups of my C drive if something goes screwy.

All the same, I might start browsing around on ebay for a cheap used iLok now...

Skizane wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:38 pm How often do you run into plugs with only one activation per license? I think everything I've got licensed via my PC has two or three. And I've got weekly local backups of my C drive if something goes screwy.

All the same, I might start browsing around on ebay for a cheap used iLok now...
There are some. McDSP, Antares, Slate, Zynaptiq (they will usually give you extra activations on request), Exponential Audio, GRM Tools, Krotos, Audified... from my iLok list.

Hmmm I think I did get more than one activation with slate.
And I think mcdsp changed it with version 7 which they want an unreasonable amount imho to update to.

rsp
sound sculptist

Yep, don't think I have anything from those developers. But it'd be stupid of me to assume I never will, or that I'll never come across something from another developer with such a limitation that I'll want. I'm always trying out new stuff from all over the place, like most of us.

Plus I might be updating my DAW from Windows 7 to 10, so getting all my iLok plug licenses off the PC and onto a dongle before I do such a major change is probably the wise course.
plexuss wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:19 pm There are some. McDSP, Antares, Slate, Zynaptiq (they will usually give you extra activations on request), Exponential Audio, GRM Tools, Krotos, Audified... from my iLok list.

Return to “Effects”