Nord Modular vs modern vsti alternatives

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:27 pm , but I like to keep conversations to facts, and if someone says something that counter to my experience, I'm going to call them out.
Haha , you double faced flake .
It,s actually you who runs away when presented with facts and called out.
Remember the zebra thread , urs called you out on it that zebra does yamaha style phase modulation , but you dissapeared , so in your world and mind you’re still correct :lol:
Same thing is happening in the talmod thread , you hear aliasing but still haven’t provided proof , audio clips etc..( edit: he did now )
Same will happen here .
These are not isolated cases and everyone has the right to their own opinion , but you always enter threads just for the sake of arguing and almost never able to backup their claims .
For me that's just next level trolling
You’re overestimating yourself .
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:27 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:08 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:57 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:51 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:38 pm I'll be shocked if there isn't a reply indicating Reaktor can do all NM can and more -- in terms of synthesis -- with less artifacts. It's been 20 years, if today's software isn't objectively crushing NM's that would be dumb. The strength of NM is in the things it does that Reaktor doesn't try to do, like being a standalone instrument.

As to whether you like the sound character, that's of course highly important to an individual but of no interest to anyone else. Everyone's got a subjective opinion, the only thing interesting about that is how you formed it, the back story.
The logical way to assess this is for someone with a Nord Modular to post a simple sound with a screen shot of the patch that created it. Shouldn’t be hard to compare it to VCV, Reaktor, Softube Modular, etc. Let’s do it.
Yep, that's the logical way to have the wrong conversation.
How is illustrating the difference between the Nord Modular and a plugin the “wrong conversion” in a thread about the difference between the Nord Modular and modular plugins?
Because it's uninteresting. As I said, if Reaktor isn't crushing NM software then something is wrong. Can we get past that boring conversation? I think you like that conversation because you win it, but I cede you the W on that. You can have that. NM is bringing something else to the table. Do we understand each other?
Go back and reread the posts. I didn't suggest that the Nord Modular was less prone to digital artifacts, but it sounds batsh!t crazy to me. Not impossible, but it was an odd statement to throw out there. If you don't want to get challenged, don't make a public statement. On Gearspace, there's a small but very aggressive group of zealots who claim the Eventide H3000 is the best thing ever and can never be equaled by software. I've yet to hear such a demo, so I asked for an example. I'm still waiting. I don't really care that much, because there's little likelihood that I'm going to run out and buy an H3000 any time soon, but I like to keep conversations to facts, and if someone says something that counter to my experience, I'm going to call them out.
Two dulls don't make an interesting. And what's worse with you is you're just negating something. Irrational love of a synth and specious reasoning about it beats you pooping on stuff any day. Say something cool.

mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:24 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm

The logical way to assess this is for someone with a Nord Modular to post a simple sound with a screen shot of the patch that created it. Shouldn’t be hard to compare it to VCV, Reaktor, Softube Modular, etc. Let’s do it.
How is illustrating the difference between the Nord Modular and a plugin the “wrong conversion” in a thread about the difference between the Nord Modular and modular plugins?
Because it's uninteresting. As I said, if Reaktor isn't crushing NM software then something is wrong. Can we get past that boring conversation? I think you like that conversation because you win it, but I cede you the W on that. You can have that. NM is bringing something else to the table. Do we understand each other?
Go back and reread the posts. I didn't suggest that the Nord Modular was less prone to digital artifacts, but it sounds batsh!t crazy to me. Not impossible, but it was an odd statement to throw out there. If you don't want to get challenged, don't make a public statement. On Gearspace, there's a small but very aggressive group of zealots who claim the Eventide H3000 is the best thing ever and can never be equaled by software. I've yet to hear such a demo, so I asked for an example. I'm still waiting. I don't really care that much, because there's little likelihood that I'm going to run out and buy an H3000 any time soon, but I like to keep conversations to facts, and if someone says something that counter to my experience, I'm going to call them out.
Two dulls don't make an interesting. And what's worse with you is you're just negating something. Irrational love of a synth and specious reasoning about it beats you pooping on stuff any day. Say something cool.
How about this? When Ah_Dziz says "softube modular definitely had some of these [digital artifacts] issues and so did Reaktor," he's lying. That seems spicy and interesting.

I'm the biggest proponent of the idea that an artist should use whatever tools they want for whatever reason they want, but when someone's asking, "Is there any significant benefit in terms of sonics and sound design possibilities of NM over software?" and there's an outright lie as a response, it is not boring to call it out. I've purchased things where zealots have painted an unrealistic picture of the gear. It's not fun to get the gear and find out there were outright lies and hyperbole. I went though this with a Sonic Core Scope XITE-1. There was no real way to demo it, and when I got it, there were issues galore that had never been mentioned on the forums, and the amazing sound quality that forum users couldn't shut up about was actually easily bested by something like Diva.

So enjoy your Nord Modular. No one's coming to take it away from you, but also, when someone comes asking for actual information to base a sale on, why not stick to facts?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:34 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:24 pm

How about this? When Ah_Dziz says "softube modular definitely had some of these [digital artifacts] issues and so did Reaktor," he's lying. That seems spicy and interesting.

I'm the biggest proponent of the idea that an artist should use whatever tools they want for whatever reason they want, but when someone's asking, "Is there any significant benefit in terms of sonics and sound design possibilities of NM over software?" and there's an outright lie as a response, it is not boring to call it out. I've purchased things where zealots have painted an unrealistic picture of the gear. It's not fun to get the gear and find out there were outright lies and hyperbole. I went though this with a Sonic Core Scope XITE-1. There was no real way to demo it, and when I got it, there were issues galore that had never been mentioned on the forums, and the amazing sound quality that forum users couldn't shut up about was actually easily bested by something like Diva.

So enjoy your Nord Modular. No one's coming to take it away from you, but also, when someone comes asking for actual information to base a sale on, why not stick to facts?
Nope, you accusing folks of lying about something dull isn't interesting, particularly when they may just be in error. All I can surmise is you don't assume best intent and respond negatively to commonplace gear overenthusiasm, which reflects poorly on you. That you bought gear that didn't work out for you based on inaccurate reviews is unfortunate but also utterly pedestrian. But if you are, as you suggest, engaged in courageous truth telling in service of others, then why is your tone so superior and uncharitable?

mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:56 pmBut if you are, as you suggest, engaged in courageous truth telling in service of others, then why is your tone so superior and uncharitable?
Because you're telling me to shut up when I was attempting to actually answer the question, which in case you forgot, was this:
slugware wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 pm Hello!

I am thinking about getting one of the Nord Modular synths, probably the rack version.
But then think how do contemporary software environments such as Reaktor, VCV or Bazille would hold up against it.
Is there any significant benefit in terms of sonics and sound design possibilities of NM over software?
So, if you think the topic is boring, WTF are you in this thread at all? The topic is exactly what I'm talking about. An example of the difference the OP asked for. I didn't come here to entertain you, and I didn't even come here to counter the claim that was made. All I did was ask for an example. That's all I did. An example that would illustrate exactly what @slugware was after. In all honesty, I was actually interested in the answer too. It doesn't seem boring to me. I like to know if things are actually progressing, or if there is some sort of benefit from the type of computing those older DSP boxes had. My guess is, "no," but that's just a guess. I was only suggesting the "lie" thing because it seemed like you needed some better entertainment. I'm sure that dude believes his on b.s.

But this is all noise. What I actually suspect is going on is that no one, including you, wants to find out that, or think about, their beloved gear has been surpassed by software. One of the reasons I got rid of all my digital hardware was that I found it had been, though I never owned a Nord Modular. I did own a Nord Lead 2, and I was happy to let it go to a new owner when I found that there were ITB options that performed better and I liked just as much. It's the nature of this type of tech. I just sold my beloved AxeFX because when I kept hearing amazing Tonex captures, and when I put them side by side... well it wasn't good. Not that I don't miss some aspects of the AxeFX (great software editor with so much flexibility) but it was not enough to make me OK with having another box in the room.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:08 pm
mjudge55 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:56 pmBut if you are, as you suggest, engaged in courageous truth telling in service of others, then why is your tone so superior and uncharitable?
Because you're telling me to shut up when I was attempting to actually answer the question, which in case you forgot, was this:
slugware wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 pm Hello!

I am thinking about getting one of the Nord Modular synths, probably the rack version.
But then think how do contemporary software environments such as Reaktor, VCV or Bazille would hold up against it.
Is there any significant benefit in terms of sonics and sound design possibilities of NM over software?
So, if you think the topic is boring, WTF are you in this thread at all? The topic is exactly what I'm talking about. An example of the difference the OP asked for. I didn't come here to entertain you, and I didn't even come here to counter the claim that was made. All I did was ask for an example. That's all I did. An example that would illustrate exactly what @slugware was after. In all honesty, I was actually interested in the answer too. It doesn't seem boring to me. I like to know if things are actually progressing, or if there is some sort of benefit from the type of computing those older DSP boxes had. My guess is, "no," but that's just a guess. I was only suggesting the "lie" thing because it seemed like you needed some better entertainment. I'm sure that dude believes his on b.s.

But this is all noise. What I actually suspect is going on is that no one, including you, wants to find out that, or think about, their beloved gear has been surpassed by software. One of the reasons I got rid of all my digital hardware was that I found it had been, though I never owned a Nord Modular. I did own a Nord Lead 2, and I was happy to let it go to a new owner when I found that there were ITB options that performed better and I liked just as much. It's the nature of this type of tech. I just sold my beloved AxeFX because when I kept hearing amazing Tonex captures, and when I put them side by side... well it wasn't good. Not that I don't miss some aspects of the AxeFX (great software editor with so much flexibility) but it was not enough to make me OK with having another box in the room.
You're not adding anything new here, just weird anecdotes and repeat accusations that don't add up. If the convo does just go the way of posting wav files and screen shots of aliasing back and forth like you want I'll certainly exit as that is well trod dick measuring territory and you can have that.

To OP, I do suggest you not go thinking NM is some decades old lost ark of sonic superiority no current software can touch because it's magic. It's a computer in a red box. It's just designed well and goes into some places in a particular way that a niche of people get into and that's that.

slugware wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:41 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:58 pm The Nord modular 1 & 2 are the only synths I've owned that could easily make sounds that I have a hard time making with plugins (including Softube modular/ Reaktor /Bazille etc).
Can you post examples of these kind of sounds ? that got me interested ?
Oh, the OP finds it interesting. Huh.
Zerocrossing Media

As i said before I'm happy to post a demo of the Nord when I'm in front of it. It's an expensive toy that I bought because I like it, I can afford and it's fun. I've never once claimed that it's doing something that can't be done with other software. Just that certain sounds are simpler to make with the implementation in the Nord. I don't see why you decided to be a dick about it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

You can make Softube or Reaktor onto a wall of digital noise with the routing I described. You can work around the issue by scaling the modulation level down as the frequency increases. Or lowering the mod index/ amt linearly against the cutoff.

Anyway the Nord sounds great. It's a solid bit of hardware and it's fun and easy to program. VCV comes closest for me in VST land. I'll post some audio when I'm not on a phone.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:08 am As i said before I'm happy to post a demo of the Nord when I'm in front of it. It's an expensive toy that I bought because I like it, I can afford and it's fun. I've never once claimed that it's doing something that can't be done with other software. Just that certain sounds are simpler to make with the implementation in the Nord. I don't see why you decided to be a dick about it.
Dude, I’m done here, but that’s not what you said. You made a claim that it was better at doing audio rate mod stuff than many of the better modern plugins. I was kidding when I said you were lying, but now, here we are. Anyway, I just asked for you to post some of those sounds, and the OP asked for them as well. So, I think it would be good for you to do that so he can get an idea of what to expect if he buy sone.
Zerocrossing Media

I claimed it was "easier" to do complex modulation things for me. Not that it did things that couldn't be done otherwise. I went back to check both Reaktor and SM earlier on my laptop and they both go a bit berserk (in a bad way) near the top of their range with extremely fast (hi frequency) and semi randomized mod sources. The problem can be solved by limiting the input range (shallow low pass before mod input or various other tricks) but sorting that out took some doing in almost all my VST modulars.

Sorry for misunderstanding you about the "lying" thing. It seemed a bit severe. I'm happy to post side by sides when I'm on the big machine this week. Either way I'm not claiming that this is a wise purchase for things outside the realm of personal fun and hands on (live) use. There are many different ways to implement these types of modulations in the digital (and analog for that matter) realm. Some of them work better for certain sounds than others and the Nord does the kind of stuff I like (delicate, glassy, and "squirty" high frequency bits that are reminiscent of maybe "LP5" era autechre or lots of the percussive bits from "The Eyes of Stanley Pain " by Download or think maybe tons of little pads and squiggly bits that are often heard filling out percussive electronic scores) quite well and many VSTs do not seem to have nearly as wide of a sweet spot without having to take extreme care with things (remapping frequency ranges etc).
People can reasonably disagree especially when it comes to the ease of putting these sounds together and whether the sounds are useful in the first place. I like it because I can put together the bones of a song for a live set with just the G2 and then use the "variations" to switch between extremely different versions of each idea.

Anyway I'll post some G2 audio when I can and if you can't sort out what I'm talking about on reaktor or SM I'd be happy to send you a patch that illustrates where something is getting wonky.
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slugware wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:37 pm but mind you i am not that experienced in modulars
It's great for modular novices and even better for people (like me) who have no interest in modular. If you find one with the stock patches intact, that could be enough for you to never need to use the editor. Just tweak away at the knobs and enjoy it.

Muied Lumens wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:58 am Whether you like the sound or not is subjective but keep in mind that the software is not up to date and can cause problems on modern operating systems.
A couple of new NM editors have been released that are compatible with modern OS's.

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:20 am Oh, the OP finds it interesting. Huh.
Yes, i do. What is your problem ?

slugware wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:08 am
zerocrossing wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:20 am Oh, the OP finds it interesting. Huh.
Yes, i do. What is your problem ?
That wasn’t directed at you. Before I read your post, I had a similar response and I was attacked for it being “boring.” I was just hitting back a bit and pointing out that the information wouldn’t be boring to someone who was looking for it, like you are, and I’m actually interested to see if plugins have bested older digital hardware as well.

Of course, you won’t find a Nord Modular software emulation, at least not yet, and it may have a character that you like anyway, which I am also interested in. I’m very interested in a kind of opposite exodus, one of losing all my hardware. So far, I’ve found that I can’t find a compelling reason for any all digital hardware, but analog or hybrid hardware does have some characteristics that make it desirable to me. I’ve yet to find a single analog emulation that doesn’t fall apart in the high registers when even a modest amount of resonance is applied, yet my hardware analogs go strong all the way up. This doesn’t make the emulations worthless, but they’re definitely not “there” yet. Does the Nord Modular suffer from similar issues in the high range? I’d like to know, because as much as I like the plugins we’ve been discussing, they are not without issues.
Zerocrossing Media

Return to “Modular Synthesis”