Anukari Synthesizer: Sound through the laws of physics

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The physics-based Anukari is all about generating sound from interconnected masses and springs held in three-dimensional space and then giving them a good whack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUO6iMcbao4&t=235s

http://anukarimusic.com/
Fusion

The developer Evan intends to expand on this to simulate:

•bowing action
•wind resonance
•internal oscillators

:tu:
Fusion

Fantastic idea for an instrument, congrats and good luck with development!
Can this synth randomly generate mass structures and forms? That would be awesome and instabuy.
Last edited by enCiphered on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hey, Evan here, the creator of Anukari. Thanks for posting this! I'm happy to answer any questions folks have, and am definitely looking for feedback that I can integrate into the synthesizer.

> Can this synth randomly generate mass structures and forms? That would be awesome and instabuy.

I hadn't thought of this, but it's certainly doable. I love hearing about something that might make Anukari an "instabuy" so this is great. :) I will put this on my list of ideas, it seems like it could be really fun. Thanks!

ill keep an eye on this for sure, very interesting idea :tu:

welcome aboard evan 8)

anukari-music wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:17 pm Hey, Evan here, the creator of Anukari. Thanks for posting this! I'm happy to answer any questions folks have, and am definitely looking for feedback that I can integrate into the synthesizer.

> Can this synth randomly generate mass structures and forms? That would be awesome and instabuy.

I hadn't thought of this, but it's certainly doable. I love hearing about something that might make Anukari an "instabuy" so this is great. :) I will put this on my list of ideas, it seems like it could be really fun. Thanks!
Yeah, I´m pretty shure this is the best and most creative method to generate sounds that one would never come up with on their own. This is the beauty of randomization.

By the way, the structures in your video look extremely accurate and complex. How did you create them, how long did it take to create them?
Is there an editor where you can copy paste, duplicate, and precisely place objects side by side or on top of each other?

Sweet, looks like a real-time version similar to the good old Physmod sample generator developed by Stelkens dev of CrusherX
Amazon: why not use an alternative

anukari-music wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:17 pm I love hearing about something that might make Anukari an "instabuy" so this is great. :) I will put this on my list of ideas, it seems like it could be really fun. Thanks!
this looks fantastic, especially the effect version. one idea i had is some sort of 'modularisation' so you could design a piece of the physics system and store it as a module, that you could then simply drag into a bigger system many times. something like copy and paste but that could be reused across different systems rather than just copy+paste within the same one - if that makes sense? or if you know max4live it's something similar to the patcher object.

enCiphered wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:34 am By the way, the structures in your video look extremely accurate and complex. How did you create them, how long did it take to create them?
Is there an editor where you can copy paste, duplicate, and precisely place objects side by side or on top of each other?
Some of the structures in the video were created via code, back when that was the only way I could create them (before there as any form of GUI). You could create any of that in the GUI today but you're right that it would be hard to be so precise, and it would take a long time.

One of the next GUI features I plan to implement is, as you suggest, a "duplicate many" feature. I intend to make this fairly sophisticated. Obviously it will do lines (strings), planes (membranes), and grids (solids), but also I want to allow for curvature, and also gradients in the parameters ("make the masses more massive over the X dimension"). Suggestions are welcome.

Maybe I can integrate randomization into the "duplicate many" tool! I can imagine some really cool random structures -- I built a Minecraft clone many years ago that did terrain randomization and I think some of those techniques could really be interesting.

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:03 am Sweet, looks like a real-time version similar to the good old Physmod sample generator developed by Stelkens dev of CrusherX
Thanks for mentioning this; I'm really interested in anything similar that I can crib ideas from. I found CrusherX but after some light Googling I didn't turn up much about Physmod -- do you have any pointers to where I could read more?

sengoku wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:21 am this looks fantastic, especially the effect version. one idea i had is some sort of 'modularisation' so you could design a piece of the physics system and store it as a module, that you could then simply drag into a bigger system many times. something like copy and paste but that could be reused across different systems rather than just copy+paste within the same one - if that makes sense? or if you know max4live it's something similar to the patcher object.
Wonderful idea, thank you. Definitely makes sense, especially for folks who are making sophisticated / large instruments this will be useful.

The thing that would make this an "instantbuy" for me would be MPE implementation.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

anukari-music wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:25 pm Some of the structures in the video were created via code, back when that was the only way I could create them (before there as any form of GUI).
please allow this in the final product too. some of us speak code fluently :)

my first thought, seeing the tension of the strings beeing a parameter, but ringing out quite long in the shown demo, was: how about to aply sort of a typical Envelope to the mass of the object ? (AD, ADSR,...or more sophisticated)
apply envelopes ( or whatever) to change the behave over time.
Make it fluid beyond realworld physics.
No clue, whats allready there ;)

personally, i´m very exited about this !

Funky40 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:48 pm my first thought, seeing the tension of the strings beeing a parameter, but ringing out quite long in the shown demo, was: how about to aply sort of a typical Envelope to the mass of the object ? (AD, ADSR,...or more sophisticated)
apply envelopes ( or whatever) to change the behave over time.
Make it fluid beyond realworld physics.
No clue, whats allready there ;)

personally, i´m very exited about this !
Maybe some sort of noise exciter with an adsr envelope would be nice. I don't think adding actual adsr settings makes sense for controlling how the masses vibrate, though.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”