What else do you/did you play?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:09 pm you were supposed to use the stick with some cotton wool to clean out the spittle.
although, mine ended up with a wodge of cotton wool in it.
which much improved the sound.
We didn't get any cotton wool, we only got sticks with a rifled part on the end, kind of like a really thin dildo. I never used it, not even as a dildo, as I thought it was disqusting

MadDogE134 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm when i look at a cello i think... what a big fiddle lol... but honestly i would seriously like to 'fiddle' with one. love the sound.

will have to admit though i am not real handy with a bow... the fiddly kind... much prefer a recurve. dropping or raising the elbow to change strings is quite odd compared to using a pick :P

cheers
cant remember who said it to whom?
but, theres a conductor, says to a cellist "madame, you have an instrument between your legs, capable of bringing joy to many, and all you can do is sit there and scratch it!"

i reckon a chin rest on it would be useless lol what do you reckon?
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

vurt wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:27 pm
MadDogE134 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:19 pm when i look at a cello i think... what a big fiddle lol... but honestly i would seriously like to 'fiddle' with one. love the sound.

will have to admit though i am not real handy with a bow... the fiddly kind... much prefer a recurve. dropping or raising the elbow to change strings is quite odd compared to using a pick :P

cheers
cant remember who said it to whom?
but, theres a conductor, says to a cellist "madame, you have an instrument between your legs, capable of bringing joy to many, and all you can do is sit there and scratch it!"
That'd be Sir Thomas Beecham - a son of St Helens BTW. Useless factoid, his old family estate was up the road from me in Huyton.

Useless factoid 2, his family were responsible for Beecham's Powders.

well i had no idea he was one of us :o (northerner) :lol:
my auntie lived in huyton for a bit when i was a kid.

Saxophone and (Bass) clarinet, i can play basic beats on a drum set and i have some Limited piano Skills
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

There are several 3d printed cellos on the market these days if affordability is your game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkd0uehlmGY
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Learning and mastering multiple instruments at the same time is quite a challenge, guitar was my first instrument and is the one I'm most familiar with.

But I started learning Piano and Indian Bansuri Flute 3 years ago and I feel like if you already know another instrument it's much faster to learn a new one. I also want to learn Harmonica and Banjo, but time does not permit that at the moment.

I taught myself the guitar, later I taught myself the piano. eventually I taught myself some sense. still suck at all of those.
member of the guild of professional dilettantes.

I played trumpet in school and then started to learn guitar after graduating. Still barely any progress on learning guitar because turns out having band class everyday was the best practice routine for me.

Download SOphist wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:43 pm I taught myself the guitar, later I taught myself the piano. eventually I taught myself some sense. still suck at all of those.
Before I got my first guitar other guitarists would show me things. When I got my own guitar I was on my own and any education I got was via the library. So yeah self taught. If I would have paid for a guitar teacher my first three years could have been wittled down to 3 months.

That's not to say all teachers are good. Some are hacks with a decent ear and natural ability, who would rather babysit you than teach you.

there is something about having a teacher and that teacher sets goals along with follow through. Knowing you will be expected to perform whatever the lesson was in a week and that the only way to perform your best is via practice.

Every time I open band in a box and pull up a super midi or real style I'm dumbfounded and awestruck thy the piano playing. It's far far beyond my current abilities to play on the Linnstrument. Not that the linnstrument can't be used to properly mimic the technique.
Wishing isn't going to bring me to that level of playing. Wanting and frustrating myself by trying to play on that level wont help either. The only shot I have is the same way I learned the guitar. Practice till I get something right then level up to the next stage and work my way through that.

Practice is a bitch. You have to do it every day if you expect to level up. As you get older it gets harder to do. But it's not impossible. Learning later in life is better than not learning at all and allowing your fears overwhelm you. When you aquire more skills you have more to draw upon and it operates as a means to explore things you haven't before improvising. Both your knowledge and skills help you to keep your music alive. More so than any new bit of technology will. New guitar new amp new effects, new plugins or a daw can be a source of inspiration for a short time. But they don't last as long. I'm guity of that as well. I just pimped my tele. New HSS pups super 19way switching Had the fretwork cleaned up. It never sounded or played as well. And yet all that awesomeness hasn't made me a better guitarist. It gets only slightly more play time as my other guitars. Got the Pod Go. I've wanted something like this forever. Played it for a time and am amazed at what it conjours up but, I'm still the same guitarist I was before.

Do I want another strat in my life? Yes. I miss my strat everyday. As for the other stuff. I already have a wonderland of tools before me. I think about my first guitar a 335 and cheap solid state amp and how it was all I had so I made the most of it and my 8 bit Casio keyboard with built in speakes. And then I look around at everything I have now. It's not the newest it not the most expensive but it's still an amazing time for music technologies. So I remind myself that I've got more than enough gear to make great music. All I need is a dedicated musician (me) to make that happen.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I PLAY:
- Guitar
- Bass
- Vibraphone
- Lapsteel
- Sitar
- Keys

USED TO PLAY:
- Saxophone

Of those, guitar is the only one I’d say I’m good at. Sax was my first instrument other than an 80s Casio that I would plonk at.

I think I’m going to commit to finally learning piano. I know the keyboard and know enough to program electronic stuff with one, but I’m far from a performer.

My Advice.

Don't waste your time with courseware like Yousician or Melodics. What you get is an endless series of drills that have limited real life use.

Instead follow this gal.
https://www.youtube.com/@pianoly

Get primary chords under your belt. Learn progressions, arpeggios and patterns mostly reading chord charts.
Stick to primary root position chords at first till you can play progressions with ease.
Then fake songs you already know using Chord Charts. It doesn't have to be perfect as recorded but you should try to get through the entire song(part by part easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6qnkhMWWg&t=702s

Skip to 702s mark if not automatic

Only after getting a solid footing move on to 1st and second inversions. Playing a musical instrument should have an easy fun side and a serious side. They work together. The better you get the more fun it becomes.

I can also play the CD
MacOS Ventura | Logic Pro 10 |

tapper mike wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:13 pm My Advice.

Don't waste your time with courseware like Yousician or Melodics. What you get is an endless series of drills that have limited real life use.

Instead follow this gal.
https://www.youtube.com/@pianoly

Get primary chords under your belt. Learn progressions, arpeggios and patterns mostly reading chord charts.
Stick to primary root position chords at first till you can play progressions with ease.
Then fake songs you already know using Chord Charts. It doesn't have to be perfect as recorded but you should try to get through the entire song(part by part easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG6qnkhMWWg&t=702s

Skip to 702s mark if not automatic

Only after getting a solid footing move on to 1st and second inversions. Playing a musical instrument should have an easy fun side and a serious side. They work together. The better you get the more fun it becomes.
Thanks for the input. Yeah most of the apps don’t seem attractive with all of the emphasis on Guitar Hero-style gamification.

The only one that’s been attractive to me is Pianote, which isn’t just about what to play but how and why. And it seems like there’s a good mix of play, light theory, and best practices, along with the ability to choose your own adventure. I get bored if I’m not learning songs but I don’t feel like I’m really learning if I’m only learning to play by rote. But I’ll definitely check out those Pianoly videos! Looks like a good way to get down some fundamentals.

Return to “Guitars”