UNO SYNTH PRO X (NEW)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a major improvement of the UNO Pro for me, thoughts?

Great UNO Sound
More hands on controls
Metal topside
303 mode
Separate PSU!
USB 3
Full sized Balanced Outputs
More/better fx
Seems like a more advanced/better sequencer

https://youtu.be/-C46Zpm9RkY
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Cons:
Firmware updates only with registration / With sale USD 25.00 for deregistration

The other big con is it costs twice as much as the original uno pro is available for now….
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Hmmm...looks like way more knobbage than previous. Uno never really interested me before as it looked like mostly menu-diving and bare minimum knobs, which kinda defeats the object of a hw analogue to me. May as well use sw, though it's sound seemed good. Looks a lot more interesting now, might have to check it out.

From first version with almost half panel used for a matrix with backlit texts to tell which function 5 or so knobs have
- and now much more knobs per function instead

Seems like a clever move. Better use of space there.
Looks like not needing an editor and computer as much as previous.

It looks like a good mono synth. I’m intrigued. But I would also look at a used Norand Mono mk1 if you’re interested in this. One less oscillator and filter, but an lfo and env for EVERY parameter, amazing sequencer, patch morph, audio rate modulations for West cost timbres and tones, and perhaps a more unique sounding core analog path. No menu diving because no menu. Incredible developer support. CV connectivity. Around same prices used as new Uno. No lame registration policy. Independent and innovative developer.

Interestingly the full size version of the PRO with a FATAR kerbed is now £349, that a very good deal...https://www.signalsounds.com/ik-multime ... h-keyboard

I wonder if they are bothering making a PRO X with a real keyboard or if this is it now?

perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:45 pm It looks like a good mono synth. I’m intrigued. But I would also look at a used Norand Mono mk1 if you’re interested in this. One less oscillator and filter, but an lfo and env for EVERY parameter, amazing sequencer, patch morph, audio rate modulations for West cost timbres and tones, and perhaps a more unique sounding core analog path. No menu diving because no menu. Incredible developer support. CV connectivity. Around same prices used as new Uno. No lame registration policy. Independent and innovative developer.
Norland Mono looks very cool and no doubt has great modulation but I am not sure it sounds more interesting based on the videos I have watched. I think everyone pretty much universally agreed the UNO sounded very good and had its own unique flavour. 3 wave-morphing oscillators and 2 independent multimode filters rival most mono synth at any price. On top of that 10 stereo effects (includes stuff like uni-vibe and shimmer reverbs) and a real analogue overdrive...it will be a pretty compelling package in what now looks like a pretty good (dare I say attractive!?) form factor...just need the price to drop by 30-40% which it undoubtedly will based on (everything) IK releases pretty quickly!

Yeah, I like what I hear with the filters on drive very much but price always seemed high for a piddly menu box. Last time I looked, the older Uno pro here was nz$1k or thereabouts. Which took it too high for what looked like either a toy or a digital breakout desktop box (which I know it's not). The difficulty of use with menu-diving against price just made it very unattractive imo. Whereas now it looks and should feel more like a hands-on synth. Depends what it sells for...still not sure it's whispering "buy" to me....

SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:46 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:45 pm It looks like a good mono synth. I’m intrigued. But I would also look at a used Norand Mono mk1 if you’re interested in this. One less oscillator and filter, but an lfo and env for EVERY parameter, amazing sequencer, patch morph, audio rate modulations for West cost timbres and tones, and perhaps a more unique sounding core analog path. No menu diving because no menu. Incredible developer support. CV connectivity. Around same prices used as new Uno. No lame registration policy. Independent and innovative developer.
Norland Mono looks very cool and no doubt has great modulation but I am not sure it sounds more interesting based on the videos I have watched. I think everyone pretty much universally agreed the UNO sounded very good and had its own unique flavour. 3 wave-morphing oscillators and 2 independent multimode filters rival most mono synth at any price. On top of that 10 stereo effects (includes stuff like uni-vibe and shimmer reverbs) and a real analogue overdrive...it will be a pretty compelling package in what now looks like a pretty good (dare I say attractive!?) form factor...just need the price to drop by 30-40% which it undoubtedly will based on (everything) IK releases pretty quickly!
There are a lot of options at this price range and below. Bass Station II has DCO's, but comes with a keyboard and also has two filters. SE-02 is also cheaper and while it's smaller than the UNO, the actual "knobby" bit looks to be the same or even bigger (the buttons and screen take up more space on the UNO). Even polyphonic options like the DM6, Pro 800 and Nymphes can be had at similar prices.

Of course not all those have have stereo effects, which may not matter to many people. I personally prefer mono out since it only takes up one audio input on the interface, and I'm already drowning in plugin effects.

SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:14 pm Interestingly the full size version of the PRO with a FATAR kerbed is now £349, that a very good deal...https://www.signalsounds.com/ik-multime ... h-keyboard

I wonder if they are bothering making a PRO X with a real keyboard or if this is it now?
Damn, about the same price as a Bass Station 2.

A big down side if you want it to double as a MIDI controller for your VSTs though: It has no MIDI local control off.

SLiC wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:46 pm
Great points and indeed, I do like the Uno Pro sound and feature set. It’s too expensive at the moment and I will wait for the price drop since I do have a Norand Mono mk 1. Regarding sound, also agreed hence why I said “perhaps.” The Uno seems more directed for a classic sound, while the Mono can blow things up especially with the audio rate modulations and patch morphing, while still giving you that “bassline” vibe if you want.

SLiC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 amThis is a major improvement of the UNO Pro for me, thoughts?
Not interested at all. It's made for a different market - I want a keyboard, not sequencer buttons. That tiny one octave thing looks useless. It is bound to be more than a grand here but I'm not seeing anything like $350 worth of improvement over the Uno Pro Desktop. That's the problem with putting all those knobs and physical buttons on a synth, it ruins the value equation.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Useless for you. No value for you. For nearly everyone else it’s a big improvement in both of those fronts.
BONES wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 amThis is a major improvement of the UNO Pro for me, thoughts?
Not interested at all. It's made for a different market - I want a keyboard, not sequencer buttons. That tiny one octave thing looks useless. It is bound to be more than a grand here but I'm not seeing anything like $350 worth of improvement over the Uno Pro Desktop. That's the problem with putting all those knobs and physical buttons on a synth, it ruins the value equation.

LIke all the Unos, it does not recognize or respond to midi performance control CCs in its matrix, making it useless for my needs.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”