UNO SYNTH PRO X (NEW)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Really? I hadn't noticed. I only play it with my hands and the Mod "Wheel" works well enough for realtime modulation.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

MY performance set up includes 3 expression pedals, (CC4, 11, and pitch bend or mod wheel), and, in a perfect world, Sustain and Sostenuto pedals.

The Uno line doesn't respond to any of the midi expression pedal CCs at all, which makes it tough for my playing style. Not sure what these companies save by not supporting the full midi spec. Doesn't matter how good something sounds if it won't do what you need.

(Technically, guess that's not completely so; if something sounds so good, you may forgive the lacking.)

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:57 pm Useless for you. No value for you. For nearly everyone else it’s a big improvement in both of those fronts.
BONES wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:07 amThis is a major improvement of the UNO Pro for me, thoughts?
Not interested at all. It's made for a different market - I want a keyboard, not sequencer buttons. That tiny one octave thing looks useless. It is bound to be more than a grand here but I'm not seeing anything like $350 worth of improvement over the Uno Pro Desktop. That's the problem with putting all those knobs and physical buttons on a synth, it ruins the value equation.
I have the desktop Pro and never found it that hard to program. Is it as easy as having a bunch of knobs? Nope. But it wasn't particularly hard either. I think this thing will be a lot more valuable when the price drops. Sound-wise no significant difference from the Pro and I can get "knobs" via the software on the Mac if I really need it.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:57 pm Useless for you. No value for you. For nearly everyone else it’s a big improvement in both of those fronts.
Gee, do you think maybe that's why I suggested it's made for a "different market"? Read what's f**king there, FFS.

As for "everyone else", let's see if anyone bothers buying it. My guess is it won't sell that well but we'll have to wait and see.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm Not interested at all. It's made for a different market - I want a keyboard, not sequencer buttons. That tiny one octave thing looks useless. It is bound to be more than a grand here but I'm not seeing anything like $350 worth of improvement over the Uno Pro Desktop. That's the problem with putting all those knobs and physical buttons on a synth, it ruins the value equation.
They really ought to give you one. No joke, you're the most vocal fan of the original Uno that I've seen on any forum.

I agree with bones, it’s a different thing..more sequencer or module than mini synth but the OG is now a bargain (or the X is overpriced, depending how you look at it!).
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Uncle E wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:00 amThey really ought to give you one. No joke, you're the most vocal fan of the original Uno that I've seen on any forum.
I still absolutely love it. At rehearsal last night, I was using it for the first time in a while and it blows me away how effortlessly it can keep up with a 16 voice unison patch from bx_oberhausen. It was lacking a bit of the initial bite of the oberhausen patch but I reckon with a bit of tweaking I could get it much closer. For a three osc synth, it has an enormous sound.

The thing with it, too, is that I was really skeptical about it at first. The YouTube demos sounded so good I was sure there had to be some post-production jiggery pokery going on somewhere, so I held off until I got to try one for myself. It took me all of 30 seconds to be convinced and I am, honestly, surprised anyone can listen to it and not want one. If I had to choose between it and my Analog Keys, it wouldn't take me a second to say bye-bye to the AK.

Uncle E wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:00 amThey really ought to give you one. No joke, you're the most vocal fan of the original Uno that I've seen on any forum.
It would be interesting to see which one I used more if I had one of each. I've been working through the same thing with my two computers and validated my choices - the 2-in-1 is great for live but the proper laptop runs rings around it for studio work. OF course, I don't use hardware in the studio so this would be a more 1-on-1 battle.

So, mine came yesterday, and it sounds great, but I’m having a problem and I’m wondering if anyone else came across it and solved it. The stand alone editor works great, but in Bitwig, I get a “Waiting For UNO” message, despite having picked the correct MIDI ports. I’ve even selected the wrong ports, then selected the correct ones to see if I could force it to recognize it. The weird part is, it is connected, as I can make changes to parameters on the hardware. I just don’t see it reading the hardware.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Yeah, I found the connection a bit flakey so I stopped bothering with the VST editor. I use it basically standalone, playing along manually in time with the sequencer, so it's no big deal for me.

BONES wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:27 am Yeah, I found the connection a bit flakey so I stopped bothering with the VST editor. I use it basically standalone, playing along manually in time with the sequencer, so it's no big deal for me.
Not only is it flaky, it doesn’t even cover all the features. I spent a bunch of time looking for the FM, only to find it’s not even represented by the software, standalone or plugin. WTF, IK Multimedia? Maybe you should team up with a software company.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Having a play with one of these. I like its raw tone and the dual filters are more interesting than other analogs I've owned. Finding it easy to dial in useable sounds. The effects are also a lot better than Sequential. The VST editor does seem buggy though which is a shame because it integrates perfectly. Come on IK :dog:

I've decided to sell most of my hardware. I'm only going to keep the Uno Pro and Waldorf Rocket. It's probably three or four years since I used the Analog Keys for anything and more like 5 or 6 since I used Ultranova at all. MiniMonsta, Skulpt and Craft Synth are all going too, because I should never have bought them in the first place. I'm going to take them all to a second-hand shop and see what I can get for them.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”